• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Inches Closer to a Deal with OpenAI to Bring ChatGPT Technology to iPhone

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
To bring cutting-edge artificial intelligence capabilities to its flagship product, Apple is said to be finalizing a deal with OpenAI to integrate the ChatGPT technology into the upcoming iOS 18 for iPhones. According to Bloomberg, multiple sources report that after months of negotiations, the two tech giants are putting the finishing touches on a partnership that would be an important moment for consumer AI. However, OpenAI may not be Apple's only AI ally. The company has also reportedly been in talks with Google over licensing the Gemini chatbot, though no known agreement has been reached yet. The rare team-up between the fiercely competitive firms underscores the intense focus on AI integration across the industry.

Apple's strategic moves are a clear indication of its recognition of the transformative potential of advanced AI capabilities for the iPhone experience. The integration of OpenAI's language model could empower Siri to understand and respond to complex voice queries with deep contextual awareness. This could revolutionize the way Apple's customers interact with devices, offering hope for a more intuitive and advanced iPhone experience. Potential Gemini integration opens up another realm of possibilities around Google's image and multimodal AI capabilities. Future iPhones may be able to analyze and describe visual scenes, annotate images, generate custom imagery from natural language prompts, and even synthesize audio using AI vocals - all within a conversational interface. As the AI arms race intensifies, Apple wants to position itself at the forefront through these partnerships.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Chat gpt is already an app you can download, so what's the point of this?

Hype and the stock price presumably?

Corporate fomo,
cutting out a slice in the future will be harder than offering a rebranded piece of pie from the start.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

Full integration with Siri at first, then with the whole OS and all Apple default apps

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I still don’t see a use for something like that on a phone. Maybe some stable diff for iPad Pro to touch up the art since I know several artists who switched to that from Wacom tablets for their drawing. But on a phone? I use iPhones for what, more than a decade now and have never found use even for Siri, so I am baffled by this, to be honest.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Apple's strategic moves are a clear indication of its recognition of the transformative potential of advanced AI capabilities for the iPhone experience. The integration of OpenAI's language model could empower Siri to understand and respond to complex voice queries with deep contextual awareness. This could revolutionize the way Apple's customers interact with devices, offering hope for a more intuitive and advanced iPhone experience.
lmao did sam altman write this bullshit

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
Apple would be buying smoke with this deal

Apple really failed here by not developing their own AI, and now has to spend billions on using Googles or OpenAIs tech. How did they miss out on that, they already had Siri and should have seen it coming, why aren't they buying someone?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Microsoft is also most likely building a 100 billion dollar super AI with chatgpt in the future...

So, how do I buy ChatGPT stock? cause they are king, not Nvidia. Apple and Microsoft kneeling before them. lmao

Personally, I think Anthropic is the best AI around, surprised Apple didn't approach them.

if ChatGPT had a stock price/openly sold, they would be higher rated/priced than Nvidia imo.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
So, how do I buy ChatGPT stock? cause they are king, not Nvidia. Apple and Microsoft kneeling before them. lmao
You don’t. OpenAI is a private firm. And that’s probably really good for them. A lot of tech companies start and grow without being public because they can do what they please with there own finances without pressure from Investors. Steam is another company that refuses to go public and while there are pros and cons if they are already paying debts and making money I don’t see a reason why they should.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Microsoft is also most likely building a 100 billion dollar super AI with chatgpt in the future...

Personally, I think Anthropic is the best AI around, surprised Apple didn't approach them.

if ChatGPT had a stock price/openly sold, they would be higher rated/priced than Nvidia imo.
As Solaris17 said, you can't buy OpenAI stock as it's not a publicly traded issue.

The main way to invest in these pre-IPO companies is venture capital and sometimes angel investing at the earliest stages. You can probably read up on this at Investopedia.

AI is still very much in its infancy, not just in its technology but also its presence as publicly traded companies. If you really want to invest in AI today by buying a publicly traded symbol, your best choice for the moment is probably NVDA. They are providing the majority of the tools -- AI accelerator hardware components and Omniverse software ecosystem -- that AI companies are using right now.

But back to the original topic, Apple likely wants deeper OpenAI integration rather than just a standalone ChatGPT app.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
If you read my last sentence, it was a rhetorical question.

as I go on to state, "if ChatGPT had a stock price/openly sold, they would be higher priced than Nvidia imo"

I did not feel the need to clarify this with Solaris, but if people are going to keep bringing it up, I thought I'd point that out. things don't translate well in text, so I should have been more clear. :toast:

Because it can run locally on iPhone 16 Pro and new iPad Pro with M4, not just in the cloud.

Last edited:
System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
Because it can run locally on iPhone 16 Pro and new iPad Pro with M4, not just in the cloud.
But run it on your phone, run it on the cloud, one thing is constant: It's borderline useless and most people will probably not use it.

Yes, siri is not that great, but I have a genuine question: Who is actually basing their phone purchasing decisions around the virtual assistant? And who would use it for more than setting a timer when you cannot touch your phone? Genuinely curious here, I struggle to see the utility of virtual assistants beyond being a selling point that won't ever make a difference in how you use your phone.

But run it on your phone, run it on the cloud, one thing is constant: It's borderline useless and most people will probably not use it.

Yes, siri is not that great, but I have a genuine question: Who is actually basing their phone purchasing decisions around the virtual assistant? And who would use it for more than setting a timer when you cannot touch your phone? Genuinely curious here, I struggle to see the utility of virtual assistants beyond being a selling point that won't ever make a difference in how you use your phone.
That might be, but I'm just giving reason Apple would do this deal in the first place. No way they have there own competitor to ChatGPT or Gemini yet. I couldn't care less about AI on phones.