• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Introduces 16-inch MacBook Pro, the World's Best Pro Notebook

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Wife enjoys her 2016 mac book pro. She can use it to work from home and do freelance work for her graphic design job. If you ask my wife, the cost is well worth it.

Myself on the other hand, I think it's an overpriced POS. Hardware wise I could have purchased 2 quality window laptops with similar or better hardware. But, maybe I'm biased. Having work with mac computers all through middle school and high school.... those computers were flat out awful. Constant lockups and crashes. Stupid single button mice.... used those dumb green screen computers in middle school....argh!

SL2

Nothing even comes close to what it can offer.
Really? And that's not poop? :D

I mean, it's very impressive to get so much performance into such a tiny laptop, but "nothing even comes close"???

The XPS 15 comes close, for sure, with the only two differences being price and graphics card. It has a GTX 1650, while the MBP has a Radeon 5500M. The extra VRAM is cheap for being Apple, tho.
1573699604660.png

I'm not saying which laptop is the best tho, haven't used any of them.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Really? And that's not poop? :D

I mean, it's very impressive to get so much performance into such a tiny laptop, but "nothing even comes close"???

The XPS 15 comes close, for sure, with the only two differences being price and graphics card. It has a GTX 1650, while the MBP has a Radeon 5500M. The extra VRAM is cheap for being Apple, tho.
View attachment 136411

I'm not saying which laptop is the best tho, haven't used any of them.

the qualifier was ”if you like the apple ecosystem”.

Processor i5 750 4.2ghz 1.4V
Motherboard Gigabyte P55-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 2X2G Gskill @2140 8-11-8-28-1T
Video Card(s) 2xGainward Phantom3 570@860/4200
Storage 2xWD 500G AAKS Raid0 + 2XWD 1T Green in Raid0
Display(s) 24" HP w2408h+23" HP w2338h
Case SilverStone Raven2E-B
Audio Device(s) onboard for now
Power Supply Antec 1000W Truepower quattro
Software Win7 Ultimate 64bit
No thank you

the qualifier was ”if you like the apple ecosystem”.

This is what many people don´t understand. For those with more Apple devices, their ecosystem is one of the best things out there.

Everything works natively, no need for setup, no third-party apps, it's a great comfort and usability the way the devices works with each other.

Apple products are far from perfect, but the truth is that many of the people who bash Apple, are the ones who have never used it. And when I say use, it's not playing with the devices for 5 minutes in a store.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Merc 310 RX 7900 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Asus A21
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
Oh great, they remove that inconvenient keyboard design.I fell like i'm typing on a chalkboard with these MacBook.

SL2

Apple products are far from perfect, but the truth is that many of the people who bash Apple, are the ones who have never used it.
Not many complains about Apples software. For me it's all about the limits I described in a previous post, mainly hardware and pricing, both which have changed a lot in the last ten years.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard Rog Strix B450-F
Cooling Noctua NH U12S + NFA12x25
Memory 2x8gb GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 Cl16
Video Card(s) XFX RX 580 8gb @ Clock 1380mhz/1020mV Memory 2135mhz/900mV
Storage 2 TB Barracuda + Kingston A1000 240gb
Case Deepcool Kendomen Titanium
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W
Jesus.... It's a 16" laptop, it has a thick chassis with lots of space, and it's still all soldered: CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD(if you can call it that)/WiFi... Also, as with 2018 15" Macbook Pro, it's all glued and barely qualifies as serviceable. Hardly a "pro" tool. At least they reverted back to normal scissor KB after four[!!!] revisions of broken butterfly KBs.

Most early reviewers (which is ironically TheVerge and few other yuppie sources), list it at $2400 for a base config (which is still a lot for basically your average 9th gen lappy w/ low-mid-range GPU).
And RX5500... so no CUDA.
The only thing Apple brags about a lot, is that it no longer thermal throttles, and can run the H-variant chip at its full potential. Basically, expecting a pat on a back for fixing their own f#$%-up.

Read what I wrote. The average user wont open their macbook air, they dont even have the tools required for it. So which part of my reply didnt you get that the average user doesnt care about what people like YOU care? And thats why they sell a lot.

I really hate to read comments like these. It's people like you creating this false idea of Mac = effortless, PC = horror. Just like the thought that Mac has no viruses.
You're comparing a custom made computer (build by who?) to a ready to boot laptop. It's like my customers who I get in my shop that compare their old 450 Euro laptop to a new > 1200 Euro Macbook and say how much better the Mac is. I don't know if you know but laptops from all major brands get automatic driver and bios updates. Just like a Mac and also get no BSOD. If you get BSODs then something is broken.
If you want to dare yourself to a custom built PC then you need a good shop (like mine that has 23 years experience) and not a POS webshop that has 17 year olds building the machines.
When I compare the innards of a super high-end HP or Lenovo to an Apple, it really makes me laugh. These fake 'pro' machines are laughable but people keep falling for it so Apple keeps going, no matter how many times they keep failing (keyboard), over (motherboard) and over (just plain bad assembly). When I open a laptop and see glue, I just want to throw it in the trash (only Apple uses glue btw).
Check out Louis Rossmann's YouTube channel as a good source for the quality of the motherboard.

Do you own any macbook AND laptop OR desktop for almost 10 years? Which one required a clean install for whatever reason? Which one required more work for it to get going?

I have a friend that owns a rog laptop, and it has BSOD and driver problem all the time, also he wanted to upgrade his stuff, but he cant. But I bet you will say that asus is shit like apple, and some "INSERT BRAND" is better and doesnt have issues.

To those two guys I quoted, stop being irrational and brainless apple hater. Every product is meant for something and someone. Its like saying all blond people are ugly just because you prefer latin ones. Theres someone somewhere that likes blond people.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
average user doesnt care about what people like YOU care
And I don't really care what an average person thinks. Broken laptops(including macbooks) still make their way to my workshop sooner or later.

Do you own any macbook AND laptop OR desktop for almost 10 years? Which one required a clean install for whatever reason? Which one required more work for it to get going?

I have a friend that owns a rog laptop, and it has BSOD and driver problem all the time, also he wanted to upgrade his stuff, but he cant. But I bet you will say that asus is shit like apple, and some "INSERT BRAND" is better and doesnt have issues.
Considering I have a shop, I get them often. Yeah.
Well, if that ROG laptop is getting BSODs then something is probably broken. And yes, you can upgrade the RAM, SSD and HDD.
No, I won't say bad words about Asus. What I will say is that buying a gaming laptop is just stupid. They all brake eventually. You need a desktop computer for gaming.

I also maintain multiple offices with dozens of Windows 10 machines each. None have had BSOD in years, nor did I have to fresh install any of them. Ever, and I'm serious.

This is what many people don´t understand. For those with more Apple devices, their ecosystem is one of the best things out there.

Everything works natively, no need for setup, no third-party apps, it's a great comfort and usability the way the devices works with each other.

Apple products are far from perfect, but the truth is that many of the people who bash Apple, are the ones who have never used it. And when I say use, it's not playing with the devices for 5 minutes in a store.

Amen to that. Not an Apple fan. My first ecosystem is Windows first and foremost simply because of CUDA rendering and general openness of the PC standard. On the other side, MacOS in overwhelming majority of things trounces Windows. Any version. Me personally don't have many Apple devices, but I can really testify - it just works. I said numerous times that if Apple finally decided to stop behaving like spoiled brat and bring back nVidia support for real 3D work I would abandon Windows in a jiffy - leaving it only for gaming.

On paper new 16" looks really nice. Have to wait for some in-depth reviews, thermals and opinions.