• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Vision Pro seems very dissapointing

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
Despite not being that impressive or new, it simply does everything the Q3* does (but better), it has still impacted the world, somewhat. I mean, what other product release will get people in jail for driving a car with vision impairing equipment?

* I meant Q3, accidentally typed Q2 originally.
650 Q3 vs 3500 Vision pro though. You should expect more.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Despite not being that impressive or new, it simply does everything the Q3* does (but better), it has still impacted the world, somewhat. I mean, what other product release will get people in jail for driving a car with vision impairing equipment?

* I meant Q3, accidentally typed Q2 originally.

The Quest 3 has a superior FOV, less lense distortion, the controllers are a lot more reliable than hand tracking and enable more functionality, and the quest 3 has a vastly more robust app ecosystem.

Mind you the Apple Vision Pro isn't competing again the Quest 3. The former is $3,500 while the latter is $500, people need to stop making the comparison. In reality it's competing against other business and enterprise class HMDs like the Varjo XR-4. The XR-4 of which has a higher screen resolution, better passthrough, and vastly better optics (even their last gen Aero had vastly superior optics).

And it is a hell of a lot more.

The above points tend to disagree

There are other major issues with VR headsets. The weight of course but also the fact that your eyeballs are basically focused on a screen for long periods of time. Human eyes need rest, just switching from a monitor to a point farther away for a short period reduces eye strain.

Varifocal lenses will solve this particular issue. Oculus has created prototypes but getting the mechanics robust enough for a consumer headset has thus far been difficult.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Varifocal lenses will solve this particular issue. Oculus has created prototypes but getting the mechanics robust enough for a consumer headset has thus far been difficult.
Well, it's just vaporware until it ships.

And once it does ship we'll see how well varifocal lenses helps alleviate this issue. My guess is that it will help some people more than others, just like any medical technology. It most certainly will not be a cure-all for everyone forever, that's for sure.

And that's only one of the comfort issues. There are still weight, heat, and ventilation issues along with HMD support factors.

I utterly despise things wrapped around my head (like headphones, ski goggles, scuba masks, swim goggles, bicycle helmets, whatever). Even lightweight items that are pretty well ventilated (baseball cat, tennis visor) are issues after a while. They all hurt after a while and I *KNOW* I am not alone. I'm also certain that there are others with far less tolerance than me.

Again, this is not the fault of the HMD manufacturers. It's just an inherent shortcoming with this type of Human Interface Device. Just like latex/nitrile surgical gloves become uncomfortably sweaty after a while.

I still use my Oculus Rift S. I just limit usage to about 30-45 minutes ideally.

It's similar to how I do regular computing. I won't stare at a monitor more than an hour. I get out of my chair, look at something else, maybe refill my water glass. There's no way in hell I'd stare at a damned screen for hours and hours with a liter water bottle.

The blue light reducing eyeglasses on my face weigh 27 grams and I still take a break every hour or so from them. Can VR HMD manufacturers get their devices down to that weight range? I'll wait but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Well, it's just vaporware until it ships.

And once it does ship we'll see how well varifocal lenses helps alleviate this issue. My guess is that it will help some people more than others, just like any medical technology. It most certainly will not be a cure-all for everyone forever, that's for sure.

And that's only one of the comfort issues. There are still weight, heat, and ventilation issues along with HMD support factors.

I utterly despise things wrapped around my head (like headphones, ski goggles, scuba masks, swim goggles, bicycle helmets, whatever). Even lightweight items that are pretty well ventilated (baseball cat, tennis visor) are issues after a while. They all hurt after a while and I *KNOW* I am not alone. I'm also certain that there are others with far less tolerance than me.

Again, this is not the fault of the HMD manufacturers. It's just an inherent shortcoming with this type of Human Interface Device. Just like latex/nitrile surgical gloves become uncomfortably sweaty after a while.

I still use my Oculus Rift S. I just limit usage to about 30-45 minutes ideally.

It's similar to how I do regular computing. I won't stare at a monitor more than an hour. I get out of my chair, look at something else, maybe refill my water glass. There's no way in hell I'd stare at a damned screen for hours and hours with a liter water bottle.

The blue light reducing eyeglasses on my face weigh 27 grams and I still take a break every hour or so from them. Can VR HMD manufacturers get their devices down to that weight range? I'll wait but I won't hold my breath.

Well Google glass was released at 36 grams all the way back in 2015 so it's certainly possible. The problem is how much compute power you can pack into such a light form factor as you need powerful hardware to enable good experiences. It may be wise for companies to approach the headwear like a display and sensor array and to have the compute elsewhere. That's difficult though given the latency sensitive nature of these devices. There needs to be several large advancements to make HMDs viable for use outside the home and Apple has provided none of them here.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Introducing failed Google Glass into this conversation is definitely disingenuous at best.

Apple didn't claim to have solved any of the major VR HMD issues in any case. I just pointed them out, they exist for *ALL* VR companies.

Remember: I don't have a problem with VR as a conceptual technology. I own a pitiful Rift S. But at least the Rift S didn't set me back $3.5K.

I just don't think that this can be anything more than a complimentary computing device based on numerous shortcomings that the entire genre poses at this time. There is certainly an audience for this type of technology.

All Apple did is say "here is our version, it costs $3499." I know it is very fashionable on the Internet (including TPU) to slam Apple. That's fine, I know a lot of people will do that because it's the only thing they can think of. Just ask CmdrTaco (Slashdot) if he wishes he had bought AAPL when he slammed Apple for the iPod.

But it's not like Microsoft has a better candidate. And we all know how well Google is with hardware...

Ahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow I've contributed all that I can at this point. I'll see you around when Apple releases their 2nd generation device.

The iPod and iPad were both labeled overpriced and underwhelming when they debuted. The people over at RIM, Nokia, and Microsoft scoffed at the iPhone... Right.

In the end, it's not going to be about hardware specs anyhow. It'll be about software implementation.

Last edited:
Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
I actually agree with this comment and will state the following. I used to own/work on a Mac SE 30. At a time when Apple was creative. I used Comicworks 1.0/1.01 for my speech bubbles while I was in that sector of the entertainment industry. Back then the Rabid Apple nubs were called " Mac Marines" that were in the "Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field" in buying expensive products from Apple.

But what killed them was the expensive software to run on their expensive Hardware. It was because of that I went Wintel. I was not going to spend 1 to 2K on Quark Express when I can get most of what I need on Corel Draw/Paint/other inexpensive software during that time. Screw that noise.

That is what killed Apple and lost the computer war/industry ( fact Microsoft gave Job's 150 million so Apple would not fold and MS would not be labeled as a Full monopoly, which did not work).

So yes. I look at now at people who uses Mac Products with distain, very similar to your comment.
This is likely true for some people but you can't necessarily cram everyone in that camp. If you're a hammer all you see is nails. In other words this is someone's view and they have reasons for it but it isn't always applicable.

I say this because I know a number of developers / programmers and my Wife is one as well.

Employers may allow some or all of their employees to work on their preferred platform (hardware) but some may insist on the use of their on chosen platform. So I know people who started off on PC for work but then had to migrate to Mac because their employer insisted on it. Those employers often subsidized the cost of the Mac or outright purchased the Macs themselves (locked them down in various ways via the IT department) then distributed them to the employees. Also of note, once such Macs become old and its time to upgrade and or the employee is ready to move on to another company, they often don't even want the Macs back. I've got at least 3 older MacBook Pros around here because of this practice.

Those looking for validation and status through apple products are likely buying the hardware themselves rather then having them foisted upon them.

apllepersonnnn

I love how people ripping on Apple products either have never owned one or are talking about 20 year old Apple stuff...too funny! I'm a software engineer and did IT and network admin for years, I simply got tired of bringing my work home with me and decided I'd try all the options before forming a judgement. Once I owned my Powerbook G4 I never looked back.

I got a Vision Pro 2 days after launch, split the cost with my gf. Absolutely the best execution hands down. Reading a list of specs != experience. There is 0 motion sickness with this thing. I've worn it for 3+ hours. The realtime subsystem is flawless and I've never seen it stutter once. If your head is upside down in near total darkness sometimes it will say "tracking failed". Other than that, this thing is rock solid.

crashed the OS (trying 3-4 accessibility features at once) but it's obvious the passthrough is a completely separate system that is not impacted by anything you do with the device. I believe that's how they reduce any motion sickness issues, along with the software that is clearly designed to ground you in reality at all times. It was 2-3 weeks after purchasing it that I realized I hadn't felt even slightly queasy at all. With my Oculus after about an hour I was "done". I'm not prone to motion sickness, only ever get it flying sideways at 700mph in Google Earth or other VR experiences.

The Vision Pro is really designed around 1 person per device so just bought a 2nd hand one for my gf so we each have one. I use this thing all the time. It's basically an iPad, but way better. This makes the ipad basically obsolete except as a remote viewing device for friends trying out the Vision Pro.

It's also insanely good as a monitor for my laptop. I was extremely skeptical this would even be included in the 1.0 release. But it works and works flawlessly, besides only allowing a single monitor. You can use your trackpad and keyboard across all apps, mac and vision. Can't use eye tracking in MacOS yet but looking forward to that. Everything is simply crystal clear. It somehow looks even more high res than real life.

FOV, lack of clarity at edges, LOL. Things I had never thought of a single time using the device. You put it on. You log in. You've immediately got all your messages, notes, password autofill, yadda yadda, you can install any ipad app along with vision apps...I expected to be disappointed in some way. I have high standards. This thing rocketed past my expectations. They knocked it out of the park on this one. This will be as revolutionary as the iphone. My guess is the 3rd device will be the one that hits the sweet spot of weight and affordability ($1500 or less, 1/2 the weight).

I use Apple stuff, I use Linux, I have an Android phone so I can run some apps that Apple blocked (apparently android apps can scrape all wifi data by default, even with wifi "off"! Apple doesn't allow this). I even run Windows when I have to. I've never really heard a compelling argument against Apple except for "expensive for specs" and "people who like Apple are annoying". I find it weird that those things would matter much to "tech enthusiasts". If Microsoft makes a great product, I appreciate it. If Google makes one, I appreciate it. Don't let others dictate what you appreciate. I think Apple fans are often annoying knowitalls. But that doesn't factor into my TECH decisions.

Maybe people are worried someone will think they're a dumb Apple fan? I don't know - everyone should use what they like. But if you've never owned a Mac and an iphone and an ipad at the same time you really cant say whether you like them or not. Using a Mac 30 years ago is nothing like using a mac today. Using an iphone for a year is not the same as using an iphone with a mac and an ipad. They each build on the strengths of the others.

So if you want to really shut down the Apple fanboys, get on ebay and grab an ipad pro (< $150), an iphone 11 or newer (<$250), and an Apple Silicon mac (~$700). If you really want to shove their noses in it, grab a 13.6" m2 air. Then you can speak from a place of experience. It would help if the criticism came from a place of experience because it just feels so childish and "hater"ish for lack of a better term. We watch with bemused smiles for a moment and move on. You should too.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I can't imagine walking around in public with the Apple ski goggles on my head. Just No. Don't get me started on the price tag.

I love VR and I look forward to VR evolving in the coming years but this to me is not the next step.