• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Archive Manager, can't extract without creating subfolder

I am trying to extract an archive which contains an archive split into multiple files and for that I need Archive Manager to extract the first archive not in any subfolders.

I read on the internet that if there is more than one file in the archive Archive Manager will automatically create a subfolder when extracting, now I think that there should certainly be an option for that too but there should not be only this default option available because now I can't extract a few archives without automatically creating subfolders.

I do not want subfolders because then the second archive won't be able to extract contents because the second archive is split into more files (which depend on each other) and now all these files are in its own subfolder instead of the same folder.

I used to this with ease with 7-Zip and Winrar on Windows but in Archive Manager there is no such a choice where you choose yourself whether you want it extracted to subfolder or not in a subfolder.

Processor Core i5 3470 (3.20 GHZ)
Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5670
Storage Seagate - 500GB | 7200RPM | 32MB Cache | Sata-3G
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply Corsair 600w
Extract here doesn't work?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was really looking forward to GUI.

A minimalist one:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
That is on Windows, on Linux 7zip is only available from terminal.
This is a problem why again? WinRAR only runs on Windows so there was an implied assumption that you're working in Windows.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
I won't paying attention what forum I was in, sorry...

However, Give PeaZip a shot it is pretty close to 7-zip.

Sourceforge PeaZip

You can compile 7zFM in Linux then use it. It just doesn't ship with the Ubuntu packages for example but, it can still be used. I was under the impression that the OP wanted to use this in Windows. Afterall, WinRAR is a Windows application.

This is a problem why again? WinRAR only runs on Windows so there was an implied assumption that you're working in Windows.
I just gave WinRAR as an example where you have both options:
I used to this with ease with 7-Zip and Winrar on Windows but in Archive Manager there is no such a choice where you choose yourself whether you want it extracted to subfolder or not in a subfolder.
Unfortunately you do not have both options as you have in WinRAR, if there is more than two files in the archive it will automatically be extracted into subfolder.

I won't paying attention what forum I was in, sorry...

However, Give PeaZip a shot it is pretty close to 7-zip.

Sourceforge PeaZip

PeaZip works as I need it to, I guess I'll be using PeaZip for these kind of archives.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Out of curiosity, are you working in strictly Linux, Windows, or both? Knowing what you plan on using can help determine what tool is ideal. As I said before, 7zFM can be compiled for Linux. If you're interesting, I'm sure I can find some time to find or make materials on doing it as it's something I probably would be interested in as well.

Use cases are important when it comes to figuring out what tool is the best option.

Out of curiosity, are you working in strictly Linux, Windows, or both?
I am using both Linux and Windows. Archive Manager is fine just when it comes to these kind of archives, it can't do the job. But luckily I will just use PeaZip from now.
I used to use Windows on that PC I acces mostly remotely, but after I got the basics down by accesing some server only through SSH, I deleted Windows and installed Linux on it. I really like it, specially RAM use, on Windows it was a lot higher and when you have only 4 GB available you notice it. And I think that Linux is lighter on HDD use and having GParted is a godsend, Windows can't even delete two partitions from a USB key but GParted does it all.