• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Are these appropriate games for a 12 year old child.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Its a great game, build ships, design complex systems and machinery. It has infinite possibilities. Would be a good game to get someone young interested in a later career in engineering. It can also be a lot of pure dumb fun, crashing workshop ships with friends is a blast.

I do belive that video games, in the absence of a normal family life and never interacting outside with kids their own age can have a detrimental impact on normal development. And screwing up their lives is best left to when they hit 16 and have to think about what they would miss more if they were gone ... their phone or their GF.

My kids mostly played with Mercer Mayer childens books at a young age but they wer also curious about shooter games. I'd let them play for short shrifts but their interest didn't last long. I remember playing Half-Life with my youngest son (Id say about 5 at the time) on my lap and at one point a crab heading thing busted thru a wall right in front of us ... he jumped and fired, turned around and said "Ya see that dad, I got 'em right in the nutz". later on, we played network games of Hexen and Doom. They grew up normal. went to theoir proms, 2 graduated from college, 1 has a year left, paid for it themselves, bought houses and invite their Dad over on Sundayy notes to watch game of thrones

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I do belive that video games, in the absence of a normal family life and never interacting outside with kids their own age can have a detrimental impact on normal development. And screwing up their lives is best left to when they hit 16 and have to think about what they would miss more if they were gone ... their phone or their GF.

My kids mostly played with Mercer Mayer childens books at a young age but they wer also curious about shooter games. I'd let them play for short shrifts but their interest didn't last long. I remember playing Half-Life with my youngest son (Id say about 5 at the time) on my lap and at one point a crab heading thing busted thru a wall right in front of us ... he jumped and fired, turned around and said "Ya see that dad, I got 'em right in the nutz". later on, we played network games of Hexen and Doom. They grew up normal. went to theoir proms, 2 graduated from college, 1 has a year left, paid for it themselves, bought houses and invite their Dad over on Sundayy notes to watch game of thrones

Nice. In the end its all about good parenting, and nobody ever made it conclusive that keeping your kids away from everything was the best solution. I'm more partial to an individual approach... and bringing that into practice right now with my 0 year old daughter... and seeing positive effects :)

To OP - the fact you are coming on here to ask for honest advice is a sign of good parenting as well ;)

From my own experience, playing borderlands with friends can be a blast. If online is more your jam, Warframe definitely has a good community and is a pretty fun game, but it can be a major time sink if you want to collect all the things, so beware of that.
I'll double that. Warframe has one of the best gaming communities i have seen ever. And the game is free to play so you can give it a go at no cost.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not sexually, but everytime I see one of my friends to a weird fortnite dance, I question whether I still want to be friends with them.

I have a couple of kids and my 9 year old daughter does these dumb fortnite dances and I cringe every time. Maybe it's my age but damn what is up with all these stupid dance moves?

System Name monkymachine
Processor i5-3570k or i5-2600k, haven't decided
Motherboard MSI B75A-IE35
Cooling Air
Memory DDR3 1333mhz 8 x 2
Video Card(s) Rx 580 Red Devil 8GB
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) Generic Monitor at 1280 x 1024
Case Rosewill - Black, Hot-Dipped Galvanized Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 500W Power Supply - R
Power Supply 500w Rosewill (See case for further info)
Mouse Generic Dell Mouse (Yes, I know I'm lacking)
Keyboard Generic Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores N/A
I have a couple of kids and my 9 year old daughter does these dumb fortnite dances and I cringe every time. Maybe it's my age but damn what is up with all these stupid dance moves?
I never thought about what the parents have to go through, kind of makes me not want to have kids. Well, then again, hopefully that fortnite dance craze doesn't live to be 20 year old.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
When I was 12 I knew everything......now I'm 56 and I realize that I don't know very much at all. Funny how life works.

Live and learn.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
When I was 12 I knew everything......now I'm 56 and I realize that I don't know very much at all. Funny how life works.
And
The older you get the faster time passes
:) when your twelve you could go all night and now it take all night to go:p

Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro

Live and learn.

Me too. My daughter now thinks she knows everything...it's funny watching this with my own memories reminding me how I used to think too. Like you I learned a long time ago that 1. My parents actually knew what was up. 2. I don't know a fraction of what I thought I did.

Live and learn.

I see that you have never been advised as to the actions of the "Idiot Fairy". I long suspected the existence of this creature ... I got the thought when my son suggested using the web cam to catch Santa. So I did try to catch him / her but the creature avoided my video capture attempts.

Children grow up believing that Dad is the smartest and strongest man in the world and that Mommy is the best mommy in the world. Then, acording so some schgedling logic I have not been able to decipher, your kids go to bed and the "Idiot Fairy" comes. The next morning the kid wakes up, their parents have suddenly become idiots and their friends on the bus know everything.

Idiot Fairy Story (Copyright 1988 John Naylor)

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
Rust, Arma 3, For Honor, Apex, Fortnite, Pubg, Ark Survival, ETC.

absolutely NOT!

But i know what amazing one that IS.... A Plague tale of innocence

System Name monkymachine
Processor i5-3570k or i5-2600k, haven't decided
Motherboard MSI B75A-IE35
Cooling Air
Memory DDR3 1333mhz 8 x 2
Video Card(s) Rx 580 Red Devil 8GB
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) Generic Monitor at 1280 x 1024
Case Rosewill - Black, Hot-Dipped Galvanized Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 500W Power Supply - R
Power Supply 500w Rosewill (See case for further info)
Mouse Generic Dell Mouse (Yes, I know I'm lacking)
Keyboard Generic Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores N/A
absolutely NOT!

But i know what amazing one that IS.... A Plague tale of innocence
Absolutely yes! Yay, guns and violence, the joy of killing innocent pedestrians.
Mom, can you buy me jihadist sim 2020? It has photo realistic graphics!

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
It depends on the person. I was blasting demons with a BFG when I was 2 years old. By age 12 I had access to Resident Evil. I didn't play it much because at that age RE scared me too much (still kinda creeps me out at age 27, but I digress), but the point is as long as you are able to understand fantasy and reality are two entirely different things you should be fine.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm not overly strict on the types of games my kids can play. My son is only 4 so I do only allow him to play 'kid' friendly games but my daughter plays games like Ark, Atlas and other survival type games. I prefer games with no swearing but violence is ok as long as it is not overly bloody. My daughter understands the difference between real and not real and the wife and I teach the kids to be good, what is right and wrong etc...I just don't see any issues with this at all. You raise your kids properly and they understand it is just a game. They understand it is entertainment. My daughter actually doesn't even like playing some of these games because she doesn't like killing even in game animals and such. Now if I told her she couldn't play these games; she would most likely want to but given the choice she chooses not to. I feel if you raise your kids right; you'll have nothing to worry about. Now if your kid has mental problems then maybe games with violence are not on the menu and for good reason.

Some games I play with my kids:

Ark (private server)(PC)
Atlas (Private server)(PC)
Costume Party (PC)
Portal Knights (PC)
Minecraft (PC)
Lego World (PC)
Lego Undercover (WiiU)
Lego Batman (WiiU)
Lego star wars (PC)
Ratchet and clank (PS4)
Skylanders (several of them) (PS4)
Little Big Planet 3 (PS4)

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
and here I was trying to help, instead i am getting trolled by the guy who started the thread.

looks to me that you do not need advise since you already made up your mind.

than why start posts like these on the forum if you refuse dialog? just to take up space on a hard drive?
the moderators should look into this

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Ah, okay, thanks! My mom and dad don't care about what games I play TBH. Just not sure about the game's communities. Rust for example from what I've heard from has a toxic community and I wonder if I'd be able to adapt to such a community. I don't want to turn into a bad guy.
My rule of thumb is: I'll play it as long as it's fun for me to do so. I don't need to adapt to communities, game quirks, micro-transactions and whatnot. If any of that gets in fun's way, I'll move along.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
I'm not overly strict on the types of games my kids can play. My son is only 4 so I do only allow him to play 'kid' friendly games but my daughter plays games like Ark, Atlas and other survival type games. I prefer games with no swearing but violence is ok as long as it is not overly bloody. My daughter understands the difference between real and not real and the wife and I teach the kids to be good, what is right and wrong etc...I just don't see any issues with this at all. You raise your kids properly and they understand it is just a game. They understand it is entertainment. My daughter actually doesn't even like playing some of these games because she doesn't like killing even in game animals and such. Now if I told her she couldn't play these games; she would most likely want to but given the choice she chooses not to. I feel if you raise your kids right; you'll have nothing to worry about. Now if your kid has mental problems then maybe games with violence are not on the menu and for good reason.

Some games I play with my kids:

Ark (private server)(PC)
Atlas (Private server)(PC)
Costume Party (PC)
Portal Knights (PC)
Minecraft (PC)
Lego World (PC)
Lego Undercover (WiiU)
Lego Batman (WiiU)
Lego star wars (PC)
Ratchet and clank (PS4)
Skylanders (several of them) (PS4)
Little Big Planet 3 (PS4)
Try overcooked.
OP, give Civilization a look, it can be a fun experience online.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Memory GSkill 8GB Dual Channel DDR4-2800
Video Card(s) MSI GamingX RX580 4GB
Storage Kingston V300 240GB SSD + WD Green 2TB
Display(s) ACER K212HL 27" + Haier 55" + Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset
Case Enermax Ostrog (Red)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W
Software Win10 64bit
My kids are 10 and 12. They play ark and love it.

Low quality post by dorsetknob