• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Phantom Gaming PG34WQ15R3A

Could you expand on that a bit? What dark secret did you mean and why OLED is a bad and wasteful experience for those who work on them?
Burn-in. I had a Thinkpad X1 with an OLED screen a few years ago and after just two months of my typical usage (10+ hours a day of mostly static elements and no care given to turning the screen off when I do something else) I could see Spyder interface on everything. One might argue that those early screens were low quality since Lenovo quickly discontinued them, but I had a Thinkpad P1 in 2020 with an OLED screen and after just a few months it had the exact same problem. I get why manufacturers might like OLED as it has built-in planned obsolescence, but for me it's a hard pass. They also use a lot of power and get hot. And are very expensive.

Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
u probably never seen ips or oled
I see well my Qnix 27" was an IPS monitor. I am not interested in OLED due to power draw. The reason I got this monitor was the black levels and new VA panel.

System Name wasted talent
Processor i5-11400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B560M Aorussy Pro
Cooling Silverstone AR12
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 2X8 4400 @ 3600 C14,14,12,28
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6700 Pulse, Galax 1650 Super EX
Storage Kingston A2000 500GB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case open mATX: zwzdiy.cc/M/Product/209574419.html
Audio Device(s) HiFiMan HE400SE
Power Supply Strix Gold 650W
Mouse Skoll Mini, G502 LightSpeed
Keyboard Akko 3084S
Software 1809 LTSC
Benchmark Scores 3968/540 CB R20 MT/ST
Presumably "Phantom Gaming" is a high-end produce line of Acer in the same vein with ROG and AORUS?
Because I ain't seeing that in this product here. And mini-OLED decor is...inflammatory?

Wonder if Samsung uses some sesiously powerful chipset to achieve its VA tune, coz nobody else seem to have similar tech, or if VA remains relegated all this time. Seems that tuning for a larger (>24'') VA is a difficult task.
Shame as a tuned VA would have significantly better contrast whilst remaining RGB, and as durable as TN and IPS.
Had a 144hz GN24C, and it had geniuely good enough response time, just annoyed by the curvature given the aspect ratio and small size. I suppose when deal with sub 200$ products, IPS bloom/contrast is acceptable trade off and is an economical solution.

For non-gamers, it's not an issue. For gamers, depending on an exact panel and gaming scenario. Premium VA panels are still better than entry level IPS ones.
... ...

Now this argument is completely subjective and personal because due to head traumas, I see colours differently. VA colours are nicer for me than the IPS ones. Unrelatable to a normal person.
The first point seems invalid, more $ more better...

I'm not sure if the last point has anything to do with head trauma, typically VA produce higher contrast images v. IPS, you may prefer just this.

OLED's inherent issues seems unsolvable for scale production at this point, I await microLED marketisation breakthrough in 10 or 20 years time.
In the meantime, current monitors will have to do, even if my 6.7'' phone OLED screen produce better image than my 27'' IPS.

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
The first point seems invalid, more $ more better...
Equally priced, VA is worse in terms of speed, and is better in terms of contrast. And the difference is usually justifying IPS, yet not destroying VA completely. I'm not saying VA is on par or even superior, I'm telling it's not K.O.
I'm not sure if the last point has anything to do with head trauma
And I'm sure it has. I had way less allergy to IPS before hitting my head with a truck.

Wye

If you can spend thousands of dollars on your PC, you care about network latency and speed, but you are unable to bring an ethernet cable to your PC, then you are a moron!

Thanks for the review.
This is 8-bit panel, so it cannot do wide colour gamut properly and it's not as bright either. VESA's "DisplayHDR 400" certification is a completely fake HDR. In other words, no real HDR. It's a merketing gimmick and VESA should have scrapped it a long time ago....

When you see a monitor for ~€500 with "DisplayHDR 400" label, run away from it like Dracula from garlic. It's a waste of time and this price point requires monitor vendors to offer DisplayHDR 600 as bare minimum in 2023, if not 10-bit panel too.

If you can spend thousands of dollars on your PC, you care about network latency and speed, but you are unable to bring an ethernet cable to your PC, then you are a moron!
Dude, what is this about? Are you barking on stars?

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I expect that this monitor (As rock) will be better than people expect as Samsung has advanced VA technology to rival IPS in colour depth. The price is also nice for what you get. The only thing for me to not recommend it would be the 3400x1440 resolution. I have a huge library and would worry about some older Games I like to play not supporting that resolution but it should be fine for modern Games. I am sure a 6700XT, 4070 would be the sweet spot for this. I would not go higher than a 6800/3080 though. The specs are not good enough to justify using with a GPU that costs more than the monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

djbpresentz

Ok for one this review is wrong on so many levels go read any other really, I just got this monitor it is awesome also have a ,C1. Hdr is very noticable and one best I've seen at this price point hitting 530isg nits def adds to the game

Seriously disregard this review go read tweak towns this monitor punches way above it's price point, no ghosting awesome hdr it's just great

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Ok for one this review is wrong on so many levels go read any other really, I just got this monitor it is awesome also have a ,C1. Hdr is very noticable and one best I've seen at this price point hitting 530isg nits def adds to the game

Seriously disregard this review go read tweak towns this monitor punches way above it's price point, no ghosting awesome hdr it's just great
It sounds like they've fixed the firmware if you get no ghosting - since that's a major and completely inexcusable flaw with the monitor reviewed here and would show as massive black smears on the default pursuit camera test (https://www.testufo.com/ghosting)

1701345067225.png

Since the firmware isn't user-flashable, this is a very important point - you could easily spend >$400 on something completely unusable for gaming with your only course of action to send it off to Asrock to get the firmware updated which is often difficult for such a large item since post offices and local courier drop-off locations usually have size restrictions - and even then you're without a monitor for 2-4 weeks.

A $430 1440p 165Hz ultrawide with decent motion response certainly is a bargain, but unless you can guarantee that you're getting one with smear-free updated firmware, returning it for firmware updates is a logistical and time-wasting nightmare easily avoided by simply buying a different model that's guaranteed to be decent out of the box. If you like to gamble and you have a backup monitor, then this definitely looks like a great offering - but most people do care about those caveats.

Last edited: