• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock X299 Gaming i9

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Like any other platform, ASRock has given Intel's X299 the Fatal1ty treatment, in the form of the X299 Gaming i9. This isn't a value-oriented board product; this one comes straight out of ASRock's Professional Series and has a much higher price tag than the Taichi we looked at earlier.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
"Ready for overclocking every little last bit of your fancy HEDT Socket 2066 CPU"
I would go ahead and wouldn't suggest it with 10+ core CPUs and advanced cooling on a single 8PIN
It's fine with an AIO, especially one like the Cryorig A80. The digital VRM that ASRock uses is pretty awesome. Yeah, 8-pin has a limit just under 400W, but you'll be overheating the CPU before you reach that anyway, so the weakness is... not the board. I do also mean for 24/7 use, not benchmarking. ;)

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
Since no reviewers give a damn and you happen to have an x299 system:

Can you do a review of Skylake X using 3200Mhz Mesh overclocking and low latency RAM to see how it affects gaming? And by low latency, I mean AIDA64 memory test with sub 55ns latency. Hardware Unboxed tried to do this but he didn't tweak his RAM to achieve lower latency and he's pretty much anti-Intel.

Basically it is to confirm this guy's finding:
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/6v9v0n/to_test_just_how_much_memory_latency_affects/

With fast RAM clockspeed and 300 trfc, he has below 50ns latency and it theoritically puts in onpar with Kaby Lake in gaming. Fixing the drawbacks of mesh design?

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, I'll take a look; have been investigating this myself, but pushing up the cache speeds to 3200 MHz is hard for some of these CPUs. I am not sure that mine will even go that high with reasonable voltages; even getting 3000 is difficult, which a big change from my 6950X.

Also, getting under 55 ns is pretty hard as well, even @ 4000 MHz. Yeah, you can tweak secondaries and tertiary timings a bit, but it is also difficult to then manage the hard faults that will occur.

I do have some very capable ram, still tweaking it to find the best I can, and then I'll go more in-depth on 3D testing.

Reviews is a hobby for me though, so I only have so much time for doing stuff like this, while also having reviews to do, and, well, life with 4 kids. :p Kids are back to school just today, so I'll have more time during the day in the weeks coming before I gotta get back to "work", and one of the things I would like to do is investigate this exact thing. I am also interested in if it scales with CPU speed, or where the "bottleneck" might be best "optimized"

A screenshot for you:

daily ram clock, 2700 NB (so clearly I have capable ram):

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Hey @cadaveca , sick review as always man.

Have you taken a look at this post on reddit? https://imgur.com/a/XU6na

I'd love to tinkle with the 7900x, been having the CPU for 1 month and my rampage 6 is nowhere to been seen grrrr

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
TechPowerUp needs to get a 10GBase-T switch to test that built in Aquantia solution...that's what I wanted to see...I have a 10GBase-T network at home, so I would imagine this site has the means to do so...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
TechPowerUp needs to get a 10GBase-T switch to test that built in Aquantia solution...that's what I wanted to see...I have a 10GBase-T network at home, so I would imagine this site has the means to do so...
I can put in some work to get this stuff, ASRock actually proposed such a review of 10G stuff directly, but I do have my hands full ATM, will definitely be moving in that direction for sure though. I think I might have a couple of boards with 10G LAN adapters right now, but I do need a switch.