• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Astro Mix-amp and HPX Setup - PS3

IslandStylin1

I just purchased a used Astro Mixamp and a pair of Turtle Beach HPX headset. I also went out and bought a fiber optical cable and tried hooking it up last night. I did not have any luck though. Can anyone please help me so I can try this setup out. Here is what I did to try to connect them to my PS3...

I connected the optical cable to the back of the PS3 and to the astro mixamp. I connected the usb to mini usb to ps3 and then to the mixamp, respectively. I then plugged the hpx headset to the cable that connects the headset to the mixamp and plugged it into the mixamp. I then went to the ps3 XMB and selected Settings->Accessory settings-> Audio Device and in this menu it would NOT let me choose "Generic USB Audio Device" or the "C-Media USB Audio Device". All three menu items were grayed out and would not let me change them. One was set to default and the other was not the headset. I beleive it was the tv audio. I then got frustrated and tried reconnecting everything and made sure it was all connected properly and securely. I also went into Settings-> Sound Settings-> Audio Output settings and made sure I specified Optical Digital output. I then selected "Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch" for the output format. Still NOTHING!

Not sure what I am doing wrong and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Does this have anything to do with me needing a Astro PS3 Mic Adapter? I could get NO sound out of the headphones and I could not hear my voice. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Specsaver

Astro was not made for PS3, apparently:

Unfortunately, the only thing it seems Astro forgot to throw into the mixamp is the ability to do voice over the PS3. While there are connections for both PC and Xbox 360
, to use the A40 for voice communications on the PS3 requires the purchase of a separate connector that takes the PC jacks and converts them to a compatible USB connection. This was probably done to cut costs, however, the mixamp already has a USB port so adding in PS3 functionality could not have been that difficult.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/astro_gaming_a40_headset/page3.asp