• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus ax86u pro, ax88u pro or ET12?

I want to buy a new router.
Currently I use one from my isp.

I Want advanced configuration, possibility to install alternative firmware in case if losing manufacturer support, at least WiFi ax (don't need 6E).
I have one device with 6E.

In topic title I mentioned only asus models but it could be something else.
Asus has merlin and I like it. :)
I would buy mikrotik but I've read that they have problems with WiFi connection.

I can buy
Ax86u pro for about 235 $
Ax88u pro for 20% more than 86
And ET12 is another 25% more then 88u pro

I like xt9 too (especially for the look) but it doesn't support alternative firmware.
In terms of look in my opinion
XT9 > ET12 > ax86u pro > ax88u pro

I don't like that et 12 doesn't have any usb port.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Just to clarify, you say you currently use "one" from your ISP. Is that device a "wireless router"? Or is it a "residential gateway"?

Both are integrated devices with a router, WAP (wireless access point) and 4-port Ethernet switch integrated in the same box using the same main circuit board and common power supply.

A residential gateway device, however, also includes the modem (and maybe VoIP - voice over IP or Internet phone). These are all discrete, network devices that just happen to be in the same case.

If your device is a "wireless router" you must also have a separate "modem". Do you?

This is important because most devices provided by most ISPs are residential gateways and you need the modem portion to connect your network to your ISP's network.

So if you really have a residential gateway device, you cannot simply replace it with a wireless router - you will not be able to connect to the Internet.

It will helps us help you better if we have a better understanding of your current network configuration.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Got the AX86U Pro when my Negear R7800 decided to finally die after some seven years.
It seems ok, throughput is good and it has all the bells and whistles you could want, except a second 2.5 Gbps port.

Have you had a look at the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX6000?
I would say it's a bit more future proof.
At least where I live now, it's priced similar to the AX86U Pro, but has the features of the AX88U Pro.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, you say you currently use "one" from your ISP. Is that device a "wireless router"? Or is it a "residential gateway"?

Both are integrated devices with a router, WAP (wireless access point) and 4-port Ethernet switch integrated in the same box using the same main circuit board and common power supply.

A residential gateway device, however, also includes the modem (and maybe VoIP - voice over IP or Internet phone). These are all discrete, network devices that just happen to be in the same case.

If your device is a "wireless router" you must also have a separate "modem". Do you?

This is important because most devices provided by most ISPs are residential gateways and you need the modem portion to connect your network to your ISP's network.

So if you really have a residential gateway device, you cannot simply replace it with a wireless router - you will not be able to connect to the Internet.

It will helps us help you better if we have a better understanding of your current network configuration.
Well. I though that I'll be able to connect new router WAN to my isp box LAN.
My current gear is similar to the one I attached.
I know that this isnt in English but on this page my provider gives instruction how to connect separate router to their device
Got the AX86U Pro when my Negear R7800 decided to finally die after some seven years.
It seems ok, throughput is good and it has all the bells and whistles you could want, except a second 2.5 Gbps port.

Have you had a look at the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX6000?
I would say it's a bit more future proof.
At least where I live now, it's priced similar to the AX86U Pro, but has the features of the AX88U Pro.
Isn't ax86u pro the same as gt-ax6000? (don't like thonlook of rog)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103-154146_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103-154146_Firefox.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Isn't ax86u pro the same as gt-ax6000? (don't like thonlook of rog)
No, the GT-AX6000 is more like the AX88U Pro in a different box at a much better price, at least here.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Well. I though that I'll be able to connect new router WAN to my isp box LAN.
Typically, with off-the-shelf products, you can. But ISP provided devices tend to have proprietary modifications to them. Since your ISP has provided instructions for connecting a separate router, it seems you are good to go.

No, the GT-AX6000 is more like the AX88U Pro in a different box at a much better price, at least here.
I'll consider it. I just hate the look of gt ax6000 :)
It seems that I can have it with a discount so who knows. Maybe I could live with it.

To be honest I don't care for second or third 2.5Gbps port. I use only WiFi in. My home. Even for my pc which has WiFi on the mobo

Should I even consider et12?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'll consider it. I just hate the look of gt ax6000 :)
It seems that I can have it with a discount so who knows. Maybe I could live with it.
It's apparently rather bulky, but I guess so is the AX88U Pro which at least here is 30% more expensive. Maybe wait for Black Friday, assuming there will be discounts locally for you during that.
To be honest I don't care for second or third 2.5Gbps port. I use only WiFi in. My home. Even for my pc which has WiFi on the mobo
It's more about how long you're going to be keeping the router, as they normally should last for about five years, so maybe it'll be useful at some point in the future. But if you don't wire anything up, I guess it won't matter. Then the AX86U Pro should be plenty good enough, just keep in mind that it "only" has a 3x3 radio on the 2.4 GHz band, so if you connect a lot of 2.4 GHz devices, it might not be as good as the other two that are 4x4 on the 2.4 GHz band. This isn't about speed, but rather things like MU-MIMO.
Should I even consider et12?
I see no reason to consider it. It's the same hardware again, with a 6 GHz radio thrown in for extra cost.

I presume you're familiar with this price comparison site? If not, it's a good place to find cheaper suppliers.

It's apparently rather bulky, but I guess so is the AX88U Pro which at least here is 30% more expensive. Maybe wait for Black Friday, assuming there will be discounts locally for you during that.

It's more about how long you're going to be keeping the router, as they normally should last for about five years, so maybe it'll be useful at some point in the future. But if you don't wire anything up, I guess it won't matter. Then the AX86U Pro should be plenty good enough, just keep in mind that it "only" has a 3x3 radio on the 2.4 GHz band, so if you connect a lot of 2.4 GHz devices, it might not be as good as the other two that are 4x4 on the 2.4 GHz band. This isn't about speed, but rather things like MU-MIMO.

I see no reason to consider it. It's the same hardware again, with a 6 GHz radio thrown in for extra cost.

I presume you're familiar with this price comparison site? If not, it's a good place to find cheaper suppliers.
I started counting
2 2.4GHz devices (one has 5GHz option but it is a pc hidden in the closet so my current router can't get to it with 5GHz signal)
5 5GHz devices (or 6 if new router will be powerful enough to reach it)
1 6GHz device

So nothing to demanding.

As for the prices
Ax86u pro - 1000 PLN (about 250 USD)
Ax88u pro - 1200 PLN
ET12 - 1500 PLN
GT-ax6000 - 1000 PLN (750 with discount)

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I started counting
2 2.4GHz devices (one has 5GHz option but it is a pc hidden in the closet so my current router can't get to it with 5GHz signal)
5 5GHz devices (or 6 if new router will be powerful enough to reach it)
1 6GHz device

So nothing to demanding.

As for the prices
Ax86u pro - 1000 PLN (about 250 USD)
Ax88u pro - 1200 PLN
ET12 - 1500 PLN
GT-ax6000 - 1000 PLN (750 with discount)
Yeah, won't matter much for the 2.4 GHz band then, unless you have weak signal areas of your home on the 5 GHz band.
I would go with the cheapest one, even if it's a bit clunky and ugly looking, since the hardware is more or less the same between them.
None of the various Wikidevi sites seem to list the Pro models, so I can't say for sure it's exactly the same, but all of them should be based around the Broadcom BCM4912 SoC or some variant of it, as they all have a 2 GHz chip.
Not many sites doing router reviews any more, but maybe check out this one, he has tested at least most of the ones you're looking at, even if his tests are a bit lacking imho.

One last question.
As an example, I can get asus Xt12 and ET12 in the same price.
Xt12 is merlin supported and et12 is not.
Is merlin firmware much better than asus one?
I'm wondering. If I don't know will I even notice a difference?

I've been thinking about merlin or openwrt to extend life for the router but I'm not sure if this is a good reason.

I suggest you take a read to the Merlin link I provided to see if this slightly modified firmware is for you. It has the ability to tweak VPNs with VPN Director. More importantly for me, it supports running scripts. I added an on router ad block script (Diversion), on router enhanced firewall & security wbhancement (Skynet), etc...