• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus EEEPC 900A battery with bad cells or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone for replying. Replaced cells with another Sanyo 18650s that I harvested from good Dell battery. Now it's holding ~
2h charge
Nice job. A new battery would hold a much longer charge though, just throwing it out there.

What amazes and bothers me is how most people don't think for a second about the hazardous waste old batteries present and the dangers they pose to land fills, oceans, and our children's futures. And I'm not even a tree-hugger.

FTR, Best Buy and most auto parts stores take old batteries for proper recycling and/or disposal. These include UPS batteries and CR2032 motherboard batteries, among others.
This! Yes. I'm not a tree hugger either, however we only have one Earth and really need to take good care of it.
@ponteley Please be responsible and recycle those used batteries. As Bill said most auto parts stores and BestBuy but also OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, Staples and even Walmart have battery recycling programs. Please do make use of them.

Last edited:
System Name maipc
Processor 4790k @ 4.4Ghz / 1.16v
Motherboard Asus vii hero
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Hyperx fury 1866 / CL10
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming X 8GB
Storage 1TB 860EVO + 1TB 860EVO + 4TB WD Red + 4TB WD Red
Display(s) Asus VG259QM (1080p IPS 240Hz)
Case Cooler Master Centurion 6
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-650
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Wooting 60HE
Software Win 10 64bit
Just last week, my phone started turning off randomly. I suspected the battery.
I took it out and ran a capacity test. It only had ~950 mAh instead of the 2600 mAh it should've had while the voltage was fine the whole time (it could be smoothly charged to 4.2V and discharged to 3.3V).
By then I already had a new battery for a couple of days since I was sure it was the battery because it was also swollen a bit, but you get the idea.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
DO NOT hand solder Lithium cells the high temperature kills. Spot weld instead.

Edit: Covering the vent with solder is bad.

Just as point of note - - you can buy 18650 batteries with metal tabs that make them ready for soldering (I forgot the correct technical term for them)

Amazon used to sell Samsung and Panasonic variants of these so I know they are available on there but might be a little harder to find now as ive had them on my wish list and seen them come and go multiple times.

Last edited:

FCG

He's right if you are going to do your own cells don't mess with the Chinese batteries. I also trust LG in addition to the list above. They make excellent Li Ion cells....

LG is Chinese

The term you are looking for is cell, not battery.

The only 18650 made domestically for which I am aware are essentially under the umbrella of Enersys.
Of course, there are the Japan-made parts.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The term you are looking for is cell, not battery.
This can be confusing for anyone as the terms are often interchanged and/or misused - even by pros.

A battery is made up of one or more cells. That means one cell can be a battery too - like a small flashlight that uses 1 AA battery. And a big battery can be made using several batteries. For example, a larger flashlight that uses 2 AA batteries - then the individual AA batteries become cells in the larger battery.

A UPS may use 4 sealed lead-acid (SLA) batteries - like one of these. By itself, it is a battery. Strap 4 of these together and you have 1 big battery and the individual batteries become cells.

To add to the confusion, inside each of these SLA batteries are 6 cells.

So is the big UPS battery made up of 4 smaller batteries?
4 cells?
24 cells?

Yes.

FCG

This can be confusing for anyone as the terms are often interchanged and/or misused - even by pros.

A battery is made up of one or more cells. That means one cell can be a battery too - like a small flashlight that uses 1 AA battery. And a big battery can be made using several batteries. For example, a larger flashlight that uses 2 AA batteries - then the individual AA batteries become cells in the larger battery.

A UPS may use 4 sealed lead-acid (SLA) batteries - like one of these. By itself, it is a battery. Strap 4 of these together and you have 1 big battery and the individual batteries become cells.

To add to the confusion, inside each of these SLA batteries are 6 cells.

So is the big UPS battery made up of 4 smaller batteries?
4 cells?
24 cells?

Yes.

One cathode + one anode = one cell

Also, Duracell not Durabattery *

* for added snark

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Which can still equal one battery, or may be one cell among several cells in one battery - so not sure your point.

FCG

Which can still equal one battery, or may be one cell among several cells in one battery - so not sure your point.

The point is you can call a single cell a battery, but then you would un-needlessly have created uncertainty as to the reference when instead you could have just called the cell a cell.

Multiple cells are most certainly not a cell. Hence the term battery. As to what I call the intermediate steps (modules, banks, packs, zigwops).... semantics.

Look at the title of this thread for Odin’s sake!
“...battery with bad cells...”

There are all types of “batteries.” I can have a battery of long guns or a battery of munitions. Inherent in all of this is the implication of an array or something... more than one. Often, many. Why cause confusion?

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The point is you can call a single cell a battery, but then you would un-needlessly have created uncertainty as to the reference when instead you could have just called the cell a cell.
But that's the whole point of my post. The uncertainty (confusion over the terms) is already there. A single cell battery is a battery. And I gave a perfect example - a flashlight that uses one AA battery. That one AA battery is a single cell, but is also the entire battery for that flashlight.

Multiple cells are most certainly not a cell.
I never said it it was! Now whose interjecting uncertainty? Again, what's your point there? It seems just to argue. :(

I was pretty clear. I said, "A battery is made up of one or more cells."

semantics.
Only to a layperson.

"Un-needlessly"? LOL I guess it was needed then! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.