• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus KN8 crash! Need help diagnose

nekky58

Asus K8N crash! Need help diagnose

I was doing work on my pc today and it just shut down. It won't boot at all. No image on screen. All the power to the components comes on. No boot up. I tried putting in a different drive and booting with that...same thing. No bios, no nothing!
Please help!

If it is the motherboard, what should I replace it with? This one is only about 2.5 years old.

Asus K8N
1gb ram
windows
80 gb WD sata drive
128 vid card

Last edited:

Namslas90

Start with the PSU, swap it with another or have it tested, or test it yourself. If thats ok then check the RAM, Remove it and make sure the tabs and slot are clean, reinstall making sure it clicks on both ends; if you have two sticks, just try one then the other. If that checks out then, move onto CPU, is the heatsink tight, is the thermal paste proper; Then check to ensure all connectors are tightly inserted and not tilted. If that all checks out then reset CMOS and try reboot. By now you either know what it is or its the bootdrive.

nekky58

nothing yet

I have tried all of those things to the best of my ability. I replaced the power supply and checked the vid card in another machine. Tried another hd and still nothing. It isn't even showing the boot info. It isn't sending any info at all to the monitor. I unplugged the battery and reinstalled...nothing. what next. is it safe to say it's the motherboard or possibly the processor or what. is there anything I can do to narrow it down? I don't have a spare machine to check the processor. I am not sure if there is anything more to reseting the cmos than just unplugging the battery and letting it reset. Can I reinstall the bios?

Scavar

System Name ScarredWolf(Desktop), MBlackWolf(Laptop)
Processor E6600(Desktop), T7300(Laptop)
Motherboard EVGA 680i(Desktop), IFL90(Laptop)
Cooling Akasa EVO 120(Desktop), No idea(Laptop)
Memory G Skill PI 8GB 4x2gb(Desktop), G Skill 3GB 1GB/2GB(Laptop)
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 640mb(Desktop), 8600m GT(Laptop)
Storage 3x250GB 1x500GB(Desktop), 1x320GB(Laptop)
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"(Desktop), 15.4"(Laptop)
Case Cosmos 1000(Desktop), PowerPro J 10:15(Laptop)
Audio Device(s) CreativeX-Fi/Z-5500(Desktop), Realtek/No idea(Laptop)
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w(Desptop), *shrug*(Laptop)
Software Windows Vista Ultimatex64 with tweaks(Both)
Benchmark Scores I'm too lazy to benchmark anything.
When you remove the CMOS battery, leave it out for a good hour. Seriously, it can make a difference. It's not a new system so it probably isn't that any screws are interferring on the bottom, but check anyways.

Also with your RAM take a soft eraser to the contacts just to clean them off, make sure to blow them off perfectly clean though.

Remember to completely double check every cable, and that your PSUs didn't somehow magically get set to the wrong settings (115/120North America vs 230/240REurope)

Namslas90

I have tried all of those things to the best of my ability. I replaced the power supply and checked the vid card in another machine. Tried another hd and still nothing. It isn't even showing the boot info. It isn't sending any info at all to the monitor. I unplugged the battery and reinstalled...nothing. what next. is it safe to say it's the motherboard or possibly the processor or what. is there anything I can do to narrow it down? I don't have a spare machine to check the processor. I am not sure if there is anything more to reseting the cmos than just unplugging the battery and letting it reset. Can I reinstall the bios?

Sounds like bad news, your mobo's probably dead.:( . Have you tried a different monitor?!!

nekky58

I went ahead and took out the battery overnight tonight. I cleaned the contacts on the RAM and checked the wires and the PSU. I already tried a different monitor...no change.

If the mobo is the prob, any suggestions on replacing? Should I just get another of the same one? I am somewhat capable at building a new machine, but not entirely confident at getting the right parts.

Processor AMD's 6400+ Black, 5000+ Black
Motherboard MSI K9A2 Platinum, MSI K9A2 CF
Cooling Scythe Ninja, both of them
Memory 2 X 2 Geil PC6400, 2 X 1 Patriot PC6400
Video Card(s) MSI HD 3870, and ATI X1900 XT
Storage 500 Gig Seagate , and 320 Gig Seagate
Display(s) ACER AL2216W LCD, and Hyundai L90D+ LCD
Case Antec P-160 (Aluminum), and Antec 1650
Audio Device(s) Onboard AudioMax, and Audigy 2 Value
Power Supply Antec 850 Quatro, and Seasonic S-12 500
Software Vista Ultimate 64; Vista Home Premium 64,
I would put the RAM in another Machine and try it too, running Mem test 86+ just to make sure, I had a board failure that took a stick of ram with it when it failed.