• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Launches the ROG Ryujin II AIO Liquid CPU Coolers

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Seems a bit over the top to put a LED screen on a watercooler. Temps can be seen from your PC monitor anyway. I'll stick with my Bequiet Silent Loop 2, thanks. It's barely audible, keeps my temps down and only uses enough RGB to keep it looking sleek rather than overstated. All that and at a better price too.

You don't understand. In the absence of GPUs, all those young gamers are looking at a box of hardware with a window in it, so this is much welcomed entertainment value along with the programmable RGB they have in there.

I reckon soon someone will play Doom on it soon.

I'll argue your point as the engine analogy is incorrect.
A vehicle has instruments to let you know how the engine is running, the LCD screen is no different in that regard, it does not however have to be mounted in the engine bay like this screen is mounted directly over the pump.
It serves a purpose and has a use.
Would you remove all gauges and instruments from your vehicle because you see them as extraneous?

In fact yes, most gauges and instruments are gone from newer cars, its all managed for you.

Monitoring your oil pressure and all that BS is old news, even in ICEs now - you simply don't have a gauge for it. Same goes for PCs, Go figure: even GPUs and CPUs overclock themselves now. Except they call it turbo or boost. And they also clock back to keep within spec.

Doing manual monitoring on new technology is just a way to keep busy.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I wanted one of these when the first version came out, but reports back then about the software were absolutely terrible - like it wouldnt work at all on AMD systems, or it constantly forgot what you were telling it to display and went to defaults
and then for the people it did work for, it required an always running app that chewed CPU power

Being asetek, i wanted to merge it with the kraken G12 and slap it on a vertical mounted GPU

System Name Room Heater Pro
Processor i9-13900KF
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI
Cooling Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX 420mm
Memory Kingston Renegade RGB, 32GB 2x2x16GB, DDR5, 6400MHz, CL32
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC 24GB
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade Gen.4, 4TB, NVMe, M.2.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ, 47.5", 4K, OLED, 138Hz, 0.1 ms, G-SYNC
Case Thermaltake View 51 TG ARGB
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor, 1200W Platinum
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight 2
Keyboard Logitech G213 RGB
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 21H2
Looking inside your case is the equivalent of looking at the inside of your engine bay, not the car's instrument cluster, that would be the equal to your monitor. The equivalent of an instrument cluster would be presenting the data on your monitor where you should be looking, kinda like how your instrament cluster isn't in your engine bay.... cause comon sense.

Highend boards have thermal probes for this very reason and if Asus wanted to do something clever they could output various fan, pump, and temp metrics via USB to an internal header and get the information out that way. That could actually be useful, this LCD is nothing but a form over function flashy gimmick.

No, the monitor would be the windscreen in that analogy. When doing full screen gaming alternate displays can be useful, being able to take a quick glance without having to switch to the Windows desktop or use a distracting overlay.

Personally I keep all the RGB stuff in my computer case turned off, but I enabled an alarm that turns it on, making all the LEDs red, when a component is hotter than normal. It was quite useful when some misbehaving app started overheating the CPU for no reason. I might not have detected it otherwise. Of course there are other options, like a sound alarm, but for example my speakers turn off automatically after a while if they are not used, so the RGB alarm is more reliable and less intrussive.

Seun

Lotta hate toward this cooler and I really don’t understand why. After all, we are all gamers and having another option to pick from isn’t a bad thing. It’s just another choice. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it but don’t hate Asus for adding another item to their inventory of wares to sell.

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
This is the equivalent of having a giant LCD for engine cover to read the temperature of your engine block, it is over the top and stupid combined.
Reminds me of Pontiac:

Seun

Isn't that what ASUS is all about though? :D:laugh:
Honestly, it’s the same as people spending 3.5 million on a Supercar when the only place they can actually drive it is Germany or on a drag strip the way they are built do be driven legally. Beyond that it’s just expensive and pretty. But will this cooler work well? If it does, who cares that it has an LCD screen as a bonus right?