1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus P5B, Golden Orb II -> Noise and too much heat?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by tyrell, Mar 3, 2008.

1. tyrell New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,

i've got a problem with my Asus P5B Board.

Technical Details are:
    - Asus P5B Board
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2,4 GHz
    - Golden Orb II Cooler

The average idle temperature is about 105-110 fahrenheit (about 40 degrees celsius). The cooler runs at 1800 rpm. The QFan-Option in the BIOS is activated but the cooler doesn't spin down. It runs at full speed and is very noisy. The CPU is not overclocked and no other modifications have been made. BIOS is up to date but last updates did not solve the problem. The cooler has been cleaned and is not dusty.

Has anybody any ideas what the cause of the problem might be?

Thanks in advance,

Sebastian.

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    There could be a few things going on here.

The P5B might not be able to lower the fan speed on the Golden Orb II. Because the fan only uses a 3-pin connector, the motherboard probably can't control the fan speed. It is designed to control the fanspeed on a 4-pin fan, the 4th PWM pin is used to control the fan speed.

The other option is that the temperature threshold for lower the fan speed isn't being reached. In my experience that threshold is right at 40C, so if your idle temps are 40C it probably isn't getting cool enough to lower the fan speed.

tyrell says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  3. tyrell New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, thank you.
    I will look for a 4-pin-connected fan. I thought that the Orb was a controllable cooler.

Thank you!

4. ntdouglas

ntdouglas

Thanks Received:
    You might want to try and re-seat the cpu. What thermal paste are you using? Whats your load temps?

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. tyrell New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know which thermal paste has been used because the computer has been assembled by the shop my brother bought it (actually, it isn't mine :eek: )
    I removed the fan and discovered a real mess. The technician who assembled the computer did use so much thermal paste that it welled over the complete CPU, the frame that holds the CPU, and even on the mainboard. This could be a reason for such high temperatures even when ideling.
    Nevertheless the fan-speed can't be controlled. I read a sheet of tech-specs and it said that the speed is fixed at 1600 rpm, so my brother is going to buy a new CPU fan.

6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    What BIOS version are you using? I know I had issues controlling fan speed on my P5B deluxe...try turning on PECI under CPU Properties...that made a more accurate read for my C2D and lowered my fan temps...on the other hand though, I'd have to hit 45C to get the fan speed up beyond 40%...so I decided I'd rather have full speed and innacurrate CPU TCase temp to have higher CPU Fan speed. Of course my AC Freezer 7 Pro wasn't too obnoxious at full throttle...so that probably helped.

The P5B's do have issues with crappy fan modulating...if I were you I'd just make sure it runs at full blast or close to it and leave it at that...you can try turning on PECI (if you have it...mine was a P5B Deluxe). Hope that helps!

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Take it back to the shop and tell the hacks to you want your money back.

10 Year Member at TPU