• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Atari Calls it Quits on the Atari VCS

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Such a shame. IMO they just didn't market it correctly or worked on international availability.

I would most certainly want to own a VCS over most compact PCs, but I guess I'm destined to buy a Mac mini someday.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Storage 1 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
Sounds awfully like what happened during Panther and Jaguar days. Heck, I didn't even know a single other guy who had one of those and back then remember hearing how crap it was.

Yeah, the Atari brand name has been dragged through the mud since the 90's and now this. So even if they really wanted to return to the game market in near future, most won't trust them who remember what Atari is, and those who don't know who Atari is, may not be as keen either.
Sorry, but many of your points are simply wrong.

Panther was canceled because the Jaguar project was moving faster and better than expected.

Jaguar was way superior to the consoles that it was competing with (Genesis and SNES) but thanks to delays from IBM (whom was the manufacturer elected), it came out late and ended competing with the PS1, Saturn, N64 and 3DO. Funny enough, Aliens vs Predator had superior 3d video quality than many if not all PS1 games due to having proper z buffering capabilities

Atari didnt release proper documentation to devs and also, lazy devs abused the platform flexibility by releasing games using only the Motorola 6800 cpu instead of the custom chips (Tom and Jerry).

Sadly, Atari corp from the 90s had a string of unlucky events that simply were too much and the current atari only shares the name.

In conclusion, no, the Jaguar wasnt a bad system as you describe it.

Such a shame. IMO they just didn't market it correctly or worked on international availability.

I would most certainly want to own a VCS over most compact PCs, but I guess I'm destined to buy a Mac mini someday.
I honestly wasnt aware that they were selling or making games, because i havent seen not even one ad or article or nothing to make me even aware that it was alive.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Sorry, but many of your points are simply wrong.
pot calling the kettle black
Panther was canceled because the Jaguar project was moving faster and better than expected.

Jaguar was way superior to the consoles that it was competing with (Genesis and SNES) but thanks to delays from IBM (whom was the manufacturer elected), it came out late and ended competing with the PS1, Saturn, N64 and 3DO.
"superior" only if you count the combined power of its multiple processors, not taking into account the difficulty of coding for such hardware. The same mistake sega would make with the saturn, and sony with the PS3.
Funny enough, Aliens vs Predator had superior 3d video quality than many if not all PS1 games due to having proper z buffering capabilities
Mate, how do I put this nicely....you are either breathing how bullshat straight out of your arse or are legally blind. There is simply no way anyone with functioning eyeballs would look at AvP on the jaguar and think it looks better then PS1 games. Hell it barely looks better then SNES games.
Atari didnt release proper documentation to devs and also, lazy devs abused the platform flexibility by releasing games using only the Motorola 6800 cpu instead of the custom chips (Tom and Jerry).
So atari didnt tell people how to use this contraption, but its the game devs fault for not investing work into doing atari's job for them? Not wanted to invest a slanted amount of resources into a small platform to make up for manufacturing defects doesnt make anyone "lazy". Any devs that WERE willing to invest silly amounts of time into a poorly documented system had the much more powerful 3DO to work with. The rest took one looka t the jaguar's tiny markete and high difficulty curve compared to the genesis and SNES and simply laughed it out of the room.
Sadly, Atari corp from the 90s had a string of unlucky events that simply were too much and the current atari only shares the name.
Luck tends to follow hard work and Atari has lacked both for decades. The jaguar was the epitome of decades of terrible business decisions made by greedy CEOs dating all the way back to the 5200.
In conclusion, no, the Jaguar wasnt a bad system as you describe it.
The jaguar was a 32 bit console masquerading as a 64 bit system (32 bit CPU, 32 bit GPU, "combined" by marketing stooges) witha complicated architecture, non existent documentation tot eh point atari's own programmers struggled with it, shipped with outdated early 80's style controller design, with a total lack of stand out software that resulted int he system being a wet flop. This is all objective fact.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro

For games? Gaming on Mac is still slim pickings, unfortunately. I get the feeling it'll improve though.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
I honestly wasnt aware that they were selling or making games, because i havent seen not even one ad or article or nothing to make me even aware that it was alive.

Front-end and default OS aside, the VCS was ultimately a compact PC that could run any flavor of Linux and even Windows, you could run most of your Steam library on it. Last I saw if it was on a YouTube video from Gamers Nexus about a year ago.

There's nothing wrong with the SOC. You would be surprised what a 2c/4t CPU can do.
I have two laptops older than that running Windows 11 perfectly. The specs for the VCS, while not stellar, were good.

I know a dual core can still pull some weight but for the asking price I think it's valid to criticize the processor power. It was well more than enough to run any of the featured games but from the GN review it struggled in most of the other things it also proposed to do (stream, youtube, etc.)

If you were buying it for a media center of sorts like I sugested for example, you'd not be getting a good value. Given the type of games they needed to run/emulate they could have been better off really doing what many were expecting - slapping a cheap "raspberry pi" like board inside a nice chassis like the ps classic and appealing to a bigger market by being cheap (i know several people that bought the ps classic just because of how cheap it was, heck I was almost one of them until I was told it only had the 10 "classics" that were not even the most relevant ones)

@StrayKAT
Another DEC fan. Did you actually use any VAX-VMS systems back in the day?
Practically the only reason DEC hung on at my work (Cedars Sinai Medical System) was email -- IBM mainframes and mainframers were the gods of computing, email was beneath their pay scale.

Atari has been dead for decades it should've been allowed to die with dignity rather than kept on life support as not much more than a brand name.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
I'm confused what this thing was trying to be, looks like a budget emulator build in a custom case. Just without the budget price.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Commodore. Their Amiga line of machines were pretty awesome. But their attempt in the gaming sphere was the last nail in the coffin. They just had too much debt.

Apple can take a long walk off a short pier.

Atari? Well, they were as bad as MS is now with shovelware and helped lead the gaming crash initially (colleco helped big time too).

I was more sad to see Hudson soft and NEC not do anything again or new. I don't even know if Hudson soft even exists anymore.

They are a Nintendo subsidy

In my opinion, all these retro consoles are quite pointless. People who are hardcore retro game players will be running some sort of emulator on their PC, and really very little reason to have a separate system for it. Also, this is not a cheap console.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
@StrayKAT
Another DEC fan. Did you actually use any VAX-VMS systems back in the day?
Practically the only reason DEC hung on at my work (Cedars Sinai Medical System) was email -- IBM mainframes and mainframers were the gods of computing, email was beneath their pay scale.

Atari has been dead for decades it should've been allowed to die with dignity rather than kept on life support as not much more than a brand name.
Oh, I was still young. On the young end of Gen X. I just remember terminals and stuff.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Zombtari just wont die

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
It's sad what most of the early tech innovators became. Atari dead, Commodore dead, IBM personal computing dead, DEC dead, Radio Shack bought by a meme fraudster. Only Apple remains out of those 70s hardware giants. Being Gen X, I grew up with all of them. I still like Apple, but surely there was room for another?
Let's be honest, it's not just PCs. Any form of entertainment, philosophy, politics, town design, car design, forms of communication among people, heck, even the freedom to smoke in a pub/bar... everything we were used to as kids is now dead or fundamentally changed. I wish the world slowed the F down a bit. :(

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Let's be honest, it's not just PCs. Any form of entertainment, philosophy, politics, town design, car design, forms of communication among people, heck, even the freedom to smoke in a pub/bar... everything we were used to as kids is now dead or fundamentally changed. I wish the world slowed the F down a bit. :(
Good point. I guess tech sticks out to me the most because it's also the last one to slow down. Even tech 10 years ago is a different beast. Everyone was chasing the smartphone then. Lots of variety and takes on it. That's all gone too.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Storage 1 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
pot calling the kettle black

"superior" only if you count the combined power of its multiple processors, not taking into account the difficulty of coding for such hardware. The same mistake sega would make with the saturn, and sony with the PS3.

Mate, how do I put this nicely....you are either breathing how bullshat straight out of your arse or are legally blind. There is simply no way anyone with functioning eyeballs would look at AvP on the jaguar and think it looks better then PS1 games. Hell it barely looks better then SNES games.

So atari didnt tell people how to use this contraption, but its the game devs fault for not investing work into doing atari's job for them? Not wanted to invest a slanted amount of resources into a small platform to make up for manufacturing defects doesnt make anyone "lazy". Any devs that WERE willing to invest silly amounts of time into a poorly documented system had the much more powerful 3DO to work with. The rest took one looka t the jaguar's tiny markete and high difficulty curve compared to the genesis and SNES and simply laughed it out of the room.

Luck tends to follow hard work and Atari has lacked both for decades. The jaguar was the epitome of decades of terrible business decisions made by greedy CEOs dating all the way back to the 5200.

The jaguar was a 32 bit console masquerading as a 64 bit system (32 bit CPU, 32 bit GPU, "combined" by marketing stooges) witha complicated architecture, non existent documentation tot eh point atari's own programmers struggled with it, shipped with outdated early 80's style controller design, with a total lack of stand out software that resulted int he system being a wet flop. This is all objective fact.
I am really confused. Are you trying to prove that my points are incorrect meanwhile your “counterpoints” are simply a repetition of my already stated points?

Atari needs to focus on selling retro T-Shirts. The Logo is cool....the nostalgia is cool, the games however...well maybe the Activision ones :) Back in the day when 64 pixels on screen at once was like magic to us. And for those of you who weren't born in the 60's or 70's, and might be wondering....no, none of us who had "Atari" were EVER impressed by their home VCS (2600) ports, but we were happy to just have something at home. I mean we got excited for hand-helds like Mattel Football which was just a series of blinking LED's for gods sake :) *it was a different time*.....

Now it's like..."Wait, I can see ALIASING on my 4K monitor! THIS GAME IS SH*T! TAKE IT AWAY AND DO IT PROPERLY!" :D

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Atari needs to focus on selling retro T-Shirts. The Logo is cool....the nostalgia is cool, the games however...well maybe the Activision ones :) Back in the day when 64 pixels on screen at once was like magic to us. And for those of you who weren't born in the 60's or 70's, and might be wondering....no, none of us who had "Atari" were EVER impressed by their home VCS (2600) ports, but we were happy to just have something at home. I mean we got excited for hand-helds like Mattel Football which was just a series of blinking LED's for gods sake :) *it was a different time*.....

Now it's like..."Wait, I can see ALIASING on my 4K monitor! THIS GAME IS SH*T! TAKE IT AWAY AND DO IT PROPERLY!" :D

I wasn't born back then, but my childhood was filled with excitement as a game was installing on my PC because you never knew if it would end up running or not, and if it did, how much you had to decrease the resolution to get anywhere near playable FPS (which meant above 15-ish, not 60). Half-Life at 320x240, software rendering mode looked absolutely awesome! :rolleyes: Where did this "I don't game under 60 FPS" bullshit come from, anyway? Kids don't know how to appreciate all the goodness showered onto them by the gaming industry these days.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Front-end and default OS aside, the VCS was ultimately a compact PC that could run any flavor of Linux and even Windows, you could run most of your Steam library on it. Last I saw if it was on a YouTube video from Gamers Nexus about a year ago.

So around the time it became available in retail...

So around the time it became available in retail...

Yup. Nada since then. Not a peep... this was the true failure. Even if it had bad specs vs. newer Chinese mini-PC designs or lacked the flaunt that a Mac mini has, the entire appeal is that it's an Atari box. It had its market.

Kenboki

This article isn't exactly right. I've heard from people who work for Atari that they are not abandoning the VCS but are switching manufacturers. They are in fact starting to produce attachments for the VCS in the coming year. The VCS is not dead.

Macsnapon

How about doing the right thing and retracting this irresponsible, misguided and ignorant article about the Atari VCS?

fyi- it’s not just a gaming platform… it’s a gaming PC designed around the Ryzen chips. My Atari runs a 500GB m.2 SATA with Windows Pro 11, 32 GB of RAM, and boots into AtariOS Linux, SteamOS, MacOS and pretty much everything else.

It runs GTA V better than most Consoles on the market… and it cost less than half of what my gaming laptop cost me. A perfect solution to get my wife playing games together.

Atari is a video game company and they wanted to bring back a console in PC form for gamers. They recently announced the end of the manufacturing contracts with their current provider and are looking for another partner to produce the next gen of Atari consoles.

Seriously, “LostSwede”, are you that desperate for clickbait that you want to pass on misinformation that you don’t even have the backbone to make up yourself? You’ve lost your credibility.

Oh, I was still young. On the young end of Gen X. I just remember terminals and stuff.
I used VAX-VMS systems back in 1989… SUNYMORVA was my VAX, and I had 1200baud dialup in my dormitory to do my COBOL and Turbo Pascal work remotely. I used to telnet into University@Buffalo at home and play Galtrader in my free time and do IRC with friends at home on FREENET.

I didn’t have an Atari, growing up, I had an Apple //e, one disk drive, color monitor and ImageWriter2. I sold it to my friend at work, got a LASER386 and 486 consecutively and switched to learning DOS and Windows.

Why is any of this important?

because people have gotten it into their heads that if they can’t game on their cell phones, iPads or Laptops, there’s no sense to gaming on anything but an XBox, PlayStation or Nintendo.
Atari is basically an AndroidOS driven XBOX.

Atari is only dead if no gamers want to code games for it. And those games can be played on any platform.

This article isn't exactly right. I've heard from people who work for Atari that they are not abandoning the VCS but are switching manufacturers. They are in fact starting to produce attachments for the VCS in the coming year. The VCS is not dead.
I'd heard it was selling briskly. So this seems at least plausible.

Macsnapon

I knew a few people that had that Jag, but they were hardcore Atari fans. It had some great games, but nothing that would be considered a "killer app" or system seller. The hardware was damn good by the specs, but dev tools were lacking. It was a great idea and had potential, but was poorly handled. Likewise, this VCS was a great idea poorly done.

There's nothing wrong with the SOC. You would be surprised what a 2c/4t CPU can do.
I have two laptops older than that running Windows 11 perfectly. The specs for the VCS, while not stellar, were good.

Where Atari went wrong was how they managed the development, manufacture and distribution of the system and it's software offerings. They also had to compete with with ALOT of other similar systems with more to offer for only a little more money and could run all of people's existing games.

What Atari needed to do was partner with Steam, Epic and GOG to make their system a platform anyone and everyone could jump right into.
And they still CAN. That’s why they designed it the way they did. Dual-booting into Windows or SteamOS was meant to keep the owners playing while they worked on the platform of AtariOS.

I hope so, and a VCS Mark II with say, Mendocino over this earlier generation Ryzen Embedded would be such a great upgrade.

But above all, they need to work on availability. A mini-PC with Mendocino and this casing/environment for $399, delivering worldwide... sign me up my good man.