• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Radeon X600 VPU Error

LordSte

Processor Intel Pentium 4 Processor 550 with Hyper-Threading
Motherboard Intel D915PBL
Cooling Thermaltake SILENT 775 (for CPU) & 120mm Case fan
Memory 2 x 512MB Crucial DDR2 PC4200 Unbuffered
Video Card(s) ASUS Extreme AX600XT/HTVD
Storage WD1200JB & WD2500JB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 997DF
Case Taken from VPR Matrix 226R
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Power Supply Dynex DX-PS500W
Software Windows XP Professional with SP2 & MS-DOS 6.22
I'm kind of having trouble with my Radeon X600XT. I'm including the whole history of the problem so it'll be easier for people to help. So if you can read through this whole thing and lend some of your wisdom, that'd be greatly appreciated.

I put together a PC in the end of the summer of 2005 right before the new school semester started. After realizing I couldn't use my fairly new Radeon 9600XT AGP, I pretty much went with the PCI Express version of the same card. Being extremely happy with my ASUS A9600XT/TVD, I headed over to ASUS's website and found their Extreme AX600XT/HTVD.
A week later, I opened my package from NewEgg and installed my X600XT and it worked just as good as I had expected. The only PC video games I played back then were World of Warcraft (what a waste of time, let me tell ya) and Battlefield 2. I never tweaked the settings as both games ran fine on whatever the defaults were. I eventually stopped playing PC games all together sometime during November because I was falling behind on the good console games that came out...plus I failed a couple of exams.

I got into playing Battlefield 2 again sometime in January of 2006. At that time the 1.12 patch was out and I had to upgrade. This only happened a couple of times, but suddenly during play the video feed to my monitor would start blinking a blank screen (kinda like trying to get an NES system started) and screeching versions of the game's audio would play on loop. I had to hard reset my computer and when Windows booted up again I got the "Your computer has recovered from a serious error" thingy. Again this happened only a few times during the 1.12 patch.

A few weeks later, in February the Battlefield 2 1.20 patch was released and I upgraded. After a few days of play I started to notice some weird things going on. The first thing I noticed was discoloration in the pixels of the kit select/spawn screen. That wasn't too big of a deal but a couple minutes later I started to notice...boy this is hard to explain...I started to see colored shapes and polygons originating from a certain point on the map. And when I flew through that certain area in the battle chopper I wouldn't be able to see anything because the screen turned into differrent colored triangle's and other stuff. I think the best way to describe it would be like when the guy went through that weird 10 minute color show in "2001: A Space Odyssey". Well anyway the problem kept persisting and was sometimes followed be the same system crash described above. I knew the upcoming 1.21 patch for Battlefield 2 addressed some issue with ATI video cards, but I didn't want to wait that long.

I got fed up with the problems I've been having so I tried to troubleshoot it myself. I pretty much just tried updating everything, new Catalysts, tried Omega drivers, but i ran into a little snag when I flashed my motherboard bios. To put it short: it couldn't be fixed, Intel send me a new board, yadda yadda yadda, I have a new motherboard with the same video card problem. Oh yea, the 1.21 patch is out now and it didn't fix my problem.

So far I've been getting 3 different problems while playing Battlefield 2 and they've been appearing more frequently:
#1.)Polygonal artifacts appearing during gameplay with Space Odyssey thing happening.
#2.)Blinking NES screen with messed up sound. Have to hard reset.
#3.)The game freezes and a few minutes later ATI VPU recover comes up and I can keep playing but then it either happens multiple times or problems #1 or #2 show up a couple minutes after.

To make sure the card wasn't overheating I downloaded ATITool and monitored the temperature via log file so I can see what the temperature was when the computer crashed.
This was usually the last line before system crash:
Temperature: GPU: 55.0°C GPU environment: 43.0°C

From what I have been reading online on forums and such, is that these shouldn't be fatal temperatures. I know it's an XT card which i think means stock overclock, but shouldn't a card with stock settings not crash no matter what? I never touched the stock cooling or stock speeds.

It took me a while to realize it, but I had my friend's computer sitting right next to me (unused) so I took out his Sapphire X800GTO and popped it into my system. I played Battlefield 2 for many hours with no problems whatsoever. I also monitored the temperature with ATITool, I think these are the max temps I got:
Temperature: GPU: 36.4°C GPU environment: 37.0°C
Well, I thought "these are quite lower than my card, so maybe mine is overheating." I switched cards again after my buddy needed his computer back. I tried underclocking the card and scanning for artifacts with ATITool. I eventually hit the "Find Max Core" button which seemed like it would take a while so I left my room and played some Megaman X for SNES and came back around 45 minutes later. Windows XP was on the "Welcome" screen and I had to log in. Well, looks like my computer crashed while I was gone. I got the "Your computer has recovered from a serious error" which linked me to here:
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=5f31f69b-8e1d-4e09-8f16-b97f2709fd14&SID=802

I loaded up ATITool and got this message "ATITool did not exit properly. Crash because of too high overclock? Last Working Frequency was: Core: 12.00 Mhz - Memory: 370.50 Mhz"

That made no sense so I did the "Find Max Core" again, but watched the whole process. It kept finding artifacts and kept lowering the core clock until the video on my monitor started getting messed up around 25 Mhz core and eventually crashed around 15 Mhz core again.

Yea, so what's my next plan of action? I was thinking that my only option was to replace the card, but I decided to post here to make sure. Oh yea, and would something like this be covered under the manufacturer's warranty? Thanks in advance for any help.

peta01

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (OC 2500 MHz)
Motherboard Abit AN8 Ultra - passive northbridge cooling via heatpipe
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 48 (almost 1 kg of copper :) )
Memory 1GB RAM (2x512 DDR, CL2, running at 137 MHz)
Video Card(s) Sapphire X800GTO2 (510/585, 16p) AC ATI Silencer
Storage 320 GB Seagate, 200 GB Western Digital, 120 GB Seagate
Display(s) LG 22" LCD Panel
Case Chieftec blue bigtower with additional cooling
Audio Device(s) AC97 raiser card on mainboard
Power Supply Chieftec 360W
Software WinXP SP2, sometimes Vista Ultimate x64
Hi,
please dont write so long story next time :)
I think that your problem is in overheating. Did you check the fan, if it is working correctly(check the bearing - if you cant move the fan easily then the bearing is probably messed up)?
Are you sure about the core clock (12 MHz is very very low, even my old Voodoo was faster)?

PS:
Ofcourse the easiest way should be RMA. And I think that they must accept your card.

LordSte

Yea, sorry about that. I just didn't want to leave out any details.

I think you misunderstood about the part with the 12 Mhz core clock. My stock core clock on the card is 500 Mhz. However, I used ATITool to find the max core clock I can get without artifacts and it kept lowering the speed of my card until it eventually crashed at 12.00 Mhz:

http://lordste.home.comcast.net/atitool.JPG

Yea, the fan seems fine and is exactly how it was back when I got the card in the summer. But the card was working properly in the summer and doesn't work properly now. Is it possible that one day while playing Battlefield 2, the game just overworked my VPU to a point where it just doesn't work right anymore? Well, it doesn't matter, if I could get this card RMA'd it would save me a lot of trouble. Thanks for the help.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Your heatsink has possibly become dislocated. This would cause the high temps while the fan works fine.

Remove the card and there shoule be some snap pins that hold the heatsink and fan assembly to the PCB, or possibly screws. See if you can push the pins in or if it is loose. If so tighten, they are very easy to work on-with.

LordSte

Yeah, I found two pushpins that hold the heatsink to the card, but they're tight and secure. I'm just gonna call for RMA tomorrow since I haven't got an email response for a week now. Thanks for all the help.