• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Radeon x850 Pro AGP

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3400+ @ 1.488v
Motherboard MSI MS-6741
Cooling 1/2" Tygon, Storm (Rev. 2), PA120.2, MCP655
Memory CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel
Video Card(s) GeForce 7800 GT: XFX Overclocked
Case CM Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Audigy 2Z
Power Supply Antec Smartpower 2.0
heres the situation:

i had an old GeForce Asylem FX5600 256 MB (old) but still was able to play guild wars and Neverwinter Nights on yahoo dsl.

bought new ATI Radeon X850 Pro AGP *signs*

installed it correctly

logged in and was able to play for less then 5 mins and the screen freezes and the screen then goes blank. music sometimes starts to repeat with sound like a broken record, but only sometimes. my monitor will display some message saying "Out of Frequenze" and gives some Horizontal and Vertical numbers if that helps.

and i understand that is related to resolutions, but ive already lowered them to 60 Hz for games and desktop.

im using a Gateway 614GE with AMD Athlon 64 Process 3400, 2.4 GHz, 512 MB of RAM, upgraded to 1.5 gig now, and soundblaster audigy z 2s

Following are the specifications for the Intel® (Cortez) 945G Motherboard
Feature Specification

Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 3400+
2.40 GHz, 512 K L2 cache, 1600 MHz system bus speed
Chipset VIA K8M800
Memory 512 MB DDR (PC3200)
Expandable to 2 GB
Video S3 Graphics UniChrome™ Pro IGP
64 MB DDR shared video memory
Audio 6-channel audio (5.1)
Hard Drive Capacity 200 GB (7200 RPM, 2 MB cache, PATA)
Optical Drives DVD +/-RW, 16X multi-format double layer
(up to 8.5 GB with double layer media)
Write maximum:
16X DVD +RW, 12X DVD-R, 4X DVD +/-RW
48X CD-R and 24X CD-RW discs
Read maximum:
16X DVD-ROM discs
48X CD-ROM discs

CD-ROM drive: 48X maximum read

Media Reader 8-in-1 Digital Media Manager, supports the following:
CompactFlash Card
IBM MicroDrive
Memory Stick
Memory Stick Pro
SmartMedia Card
Secure Digital(SD)/MMC
USB 2.0

Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready fax/modem
Network 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN
Interfaces 7 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front, 1 in Media Manager, 4 on rear)
3 IEEE 1394 ports (2 in front bezel, 1 in back)
1 VGA monitor port
1 Serial port
1 Parallel port
2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse)
5 Audio ports (2 in front, 3 on rear)

Slots 1 AGP 8x
3 PCI (2 available)

Bays 4 3.5-inch (2 available)
2 5.25-inch (both used)

Input Devices Premium multimedia keyboard
2-button wheel mouse

chatted with gateway, they said it might be a powersupply issue. i was told i needed around 350-400 watts to use this graphics card.

bought new power supply, 500 watt, same issues and no fix.

started thinkin it might be an issue with the DSL? called them went threw all there checks and everything is fine, even disabled the firewall on the dsl box. still nothing.

asked some techs from guild wars to help me and we ran the Everrest Home Edition
View attachment Report.txt

we've also tried doing the cleandrivers program to rid all old ATI files. reinstall all updated drivers for Catalyst and Soundblaster card.

ive encountered only a limited number of errors such as:
"VPU Recover has reset graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands.

Please tell ATI about his problem"

we've tried doing the drivecleaner again and installing the omega versions, still nothing. we tried puting the video card under stress by using a benchmarking program and see if it locks up View attachment results.txt. everything seemed fine.

so after dealing with all this crap, i decided to just chat with a gateway tech and i told them everything i was experiencing. i sent the CPU in for repairs. gateway ran all there tests and found nothing wrong. im not sure how extensive their tests are. they did update my bios though, least they said they did in the return report.

i did try turning off AGP write in the catalyst and going 4x instead of 8x. this did seem to work. ive been bothering with this issue since last christmas and i forget if it ran on 8x turning off AGP write, i think it ran. but now since getting it back, nothing seems to be working. im just looking for solutions.

so if you guy can help me. thanks

Last edited:

Trellabor

I don't know, but after all you've gone through which is mostly stuff i would have suggested, you might just have a card with a poor core and/or RAM. It does happen, however not all too often. Tried plugging the old card back in?

mmx

What about the PSU, the x850Pro needs more power than your old card

Motherboard MSI MS-6741
Memory CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel
Case CM Stacker 830
ive been away from the computer for this weekend but tomarrow when i get home ive got some things i can try. is there a link that i can check and report back with out puts of my ram through some tests? geez, how i hate dealing with these kind of issues. it can be anything and it just seems like it takes for ever to go through all checks. i appreciate the help guys.

Trellabor said:
I don't know, but after all you've gone through which is mostly stuff i would have suggested, you might just have a card with a poor core and/or RAM. It does happen, however not all too often. Tried plugging the old card back in?

ya i guess i need to see if i can buy a better card or something. any idea of what performs well at retail stores such as best buy, comp usa, circuit city?

mmx said:
What about the PSU, the x850Pro needs more power than your old card

ya if you look above i listed that i bought a 500 watt power supply, if there is something i might be missing, that could be it. i know i installed it correctly. theres a external fan that kicks in when the heat gets to high. i have an interal fan thats connected onto the motherboard, then there is another exteral fan that blows the air out. i know the 500 watt power supply has a small plugin fan connector thats used as a sensor, i just think thats to save power if needed to be cooled. so im like 90% sure its not the power supply. i even bought 2 different powersupplys to see if that even made a difference.

Last edited:

mmx

Try to reinstall the OS and download the latest ati drivers, and mobo drivers. Good luck!

Motherboard MSI MS-6741
Case CM Stacker 830
mmx said:
Try to reinstall the OS and download the latest ati drivers, and mobo drivers. Good luck!

ive done the whole reinstalling the OS and drivers. still nothing.

i got a tip from another website about turning off the VPU Recover in the ATI Catalyst. i found this information on ATI for anyone who might also be experiencing some stablility issues. the link here states that this option is to help stablility but in some cases it has not. heres the link to access this option, click here.

also they recommended updating the drivers for my motherboard located here click here.

Last edited:
Motherboard MSI MS-6741
Case CM Stacker 830
okay i tried disabling the VPU Recover, still no luck.

a couple of days ago i read somewhere that someone with the same problems checked their task manager and noticed 2 programs running called CLI.exe

the guy thought it was just weird seeing 2 of the same programs running next to each other. so he decided to shut them both down and see if that worked. after that he didnt have any problems. well i tried it and have had no problem playing any of games.

any idea on why or what those 2 programs are doing. i know they are ATI related, but not sure what they are used for. to me, this sounds like an ATI problem then anything else.

Last edited:
Motherboard MSI MS-6741
Case CM Stacker 830
well what do you know, ATI is completly at fault here. on their drivers and software page they list 3 downloads:

1) Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
2) Catalyst Control Center Package
and
3) AVIVO Video Converter Engine

by figuring out that by shutting downn CLI.exe, these programs allow your games to become more stable. now reading up on that, i found some posts on other websites containing info on CLI.exe using framework to run. it has something to do with ports/portals opening and closing to run your Catalyst.

some people might even have these issues if they dont turn off their firewall while gaming.

i read somewhere that by downloading Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 solved their issues with crashing and locking up. this was all caused by the uncompatibllilty due to the CLI.exe.

So in all, it is in my opinion that ATI needs to update the link from the old version of 1.1 to 2.0.

Motherboard MSI MS-6741
Case CM Stacker 830
:banghead: turned out to be an overheating issue.