• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Tool -n- X1900 XTX = Black Display

JaiQwan

Processor P4 660 3.60 LGA 775, 800Mhz FSB,1MB L2
Motherboard P5AD2 E Premium, Intel 925XE Chipset
Cooling VC Stock HSF, CPU THERMALRIGHT XP120
Memory CORSAIR XMS2 Pro Series Dual Channel 240-Pin 1GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900 XTX
Storage (1) Raptor 74GB (1) Caviar 250GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 192N
Case Lian Li V1000
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy2 ZS GAMER LE PCI
Power Supply Hiper Type R 580W - Modular
Software WinXp, ATI Tool, Macromedia MX Bundle
Hello all, me New Here :)
Okay I have installed ATI Tool 0.24 and I don't think things are working just right here.
When I tried to Find Max Core or Max Mem...
My display goes ALL Black and nothing happens, I even let sit for a few min to see if my display would come back but alas it did not, I had to do a hard shut down and reboot.

My current system specs:
MoBo/CPU - P5AD2 E Premium/P4 660 3.60GHz LGA 775, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2
Gphx - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB PCIE
MeM - CORSAIR XMS2 Pro Series Dual Channel 240-Pin 1GB-TWIN2X1024-5400C4PRO
PSU- Hiper Type R 580W - Modular
HDD 1 & 2 - WD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM SATA / WD Caviar 250GB 7,200 RPM SATA
DVD Rom - Sony DDU1613 16X IDE w/Power DVD 4.0 Software (Black)
DVD/CD RW - Plextor 12X DVD+/-RW Drive, Black, Model PX-712SA/SW-BL
Audio/Speakers - SB Audigy2 ZS GAMER LE PCI, Model "SB0350" / Creative Inspire GD580 5.1

Last edited:

JaiQwan

Case Lian Li V1000
Processor Intel I7 2600k@ 4.5
Motherboard Gigabyte p67 ud4 b3
Cooling AC Cuplex kryos Hf
Memory 8096 Exceleram 1600@ 1333 Cl9 1.35v
Video Card(s) Palit Gtx570@950/1900@1.063v
Storage Ocz Vertex 3 120gb, 2tb Seagate 7200rpm s-ata3
Display(s) Asus 24inch Lcd
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi with Teufel Magnum Power Edition
Power Supply Coolermaster 700W Silent Pro Gold
Software Linux?^^ ;P Windows 7 64bit
usw ati tool 25 beta 14
ati tool 24 is too old

Oo_Skyline_oO

System Name Intel Xtreem Rig
Processor QX6850
Motherboard ASUS P5KE
Cooling Custom water cool
Memory 4gigs Teem Xtreem DDR2 800mhz 4-4-3-8
Video Card(s) ATI HD2900XT
Storage x2 WD250g SATA2 16mb
Display(s) SCEPTRE 22'w
Case Acrylic
Audio Device(s) ASUS HD 8.1
Power Supply OCZ Modstream 850W
Software Vista Ultimate(legit)
hmm

I've had the same problem with almost any oc'd ati card. What happens, is that it finds its maximum core clock, then tries a speed a few mhz too fast and creates errors. The only way I know of getting arround this is clicking on save, every time the core goes up and is stable. so when the core goes up and its not sable anymore(black screen) the next time you boot up your computer, you have your maximum core. OR you could click on "show 3D view" and manually, slooowly bump up your speed, and if stable, click save until it blacks out again, then you know you've reached the card's limits. Also, if you want to get a decent overclock, your gonna have to raise the voltage on the core, and same for the memory. I got a 1800GTO to run at 586/735(500/500 stock) and the only way I was able to do that STABLE is to turn up the voltage of the vpu/vram till you get that warning that tells you its too high. I hope this was of some help to you, post back if it was.

JaiQwan

Case Lian Li V1000
ahhh okay I did not know this, I thought 0.24 was the most recent when I downloaded it from Guru of 3D, I will look for .25,,, thank you :)
gR3iF said:
usw ati tool 25 beta 14
ati tool 24 is too old

Yes it was helpful, Thank you :cool: because I looked every where even in the Bois set to see if maybe there was somthing I needed to change, so downloaded and installed ATI tray tools, but have not used it yet. I like the idea of how ATI Tool looks for and finds the max core and mem.

Oo_Skyline_oO said:
I've had the same problem with almost any oc'd ati card. What happens, is that it finds its maximum core clock, then tries a speed a few mhz too fast and creates errors. The only way I know of getting arround this is clicking on save, every time the core goes up and is stable. so when the core goes up and its not sable anymore(black screen) the next time you boot up your computer, you have your maximum core. OR you could click on "show 3D view" and manually, slooowly bump up your speed, and if stable, click save until it blacks out again, then you know you've reached the card's limits. Also, if you want to get a decent overclock, your gonna have to raise the voltage on the core, and same for the memory. I got a 1800GTO to run at 586/735(500/500 stock) and the only way I was able to do that STABLE is to turn up the voltage of the vpu/vram till you get that warning that tells you its too high. I hope this was of some help to you, post back if it was.

JaiQwan

Case Lian Li V1000
Okay I downloaded ATI Tool 0.25 Beta 14 and when I start it up
I get this waring message.

Ummm does this mean that I can't use it to OC the VC ? :banghead:
Im not useing CCC, I just installed the ATI Display drivers & controle panel & WDM drivers.

Oo_Skyline_oO

Processor QX6850
Motherboard ASUS P5KE
Display(s) SCEPTRE 22'w
Case Acrylic
What I would do, is jus put "donot tell me again in the future" and put yes, simply becos all ATI2EVXX.EXE does is set it at a lower clock when not gaming to conserve energy and heat, then blast it up to its max advertized clocks. If you use ATITool, you can do that manually by hitting "new" then when you have 2 profiles, such as "slow" "fast" or whatever u want to call them, you can make it load the slower clocks while not gaming and automatically load your max desired clocks when gaming. You can do that by hitting "settings", then "3D-detection"

JaiQwan

Case Lian Li V1000
Okay thanks much for the help and tips, :cool:
I will play around with bumping up the voltages some today and see how it goes,,,

Oo_Skyline_oO said:
What I would do, is jus put "donot tell me again in the future" and put yes, simply becos all ATI2EVXX.EXE does is set it at a lower clock when not gaming to conserve energy and heat, then blast it up to its max advertized clocks. If you use ATITool, you can do that manually by hitting "new" then when you have 2 profiles, such as "slow" "fast" or whatever u want to call them, you can make it load the slower clocks while not gaming and automatically load your max desired clocks when gaming. You can do that by hitting "settings", then "3D-detection"

Processor Intel I7 2600k@ 4.5
Motherboard Gigabyte p67 ud4 b3
Cooling AC Cuplex kryos Hf
Memory 8096 Exceleram 1600@ 1333 Cl9 1.35v
Video Card(s) Palit Gtx570@950/1900@1.063v
Storage Ocz Vertex 3 120gb, 2tb Seagate 7200rpm s-ata3
Display(s) Asus 24inch Lcd
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi with Teufel Magnum Power Edition
Power Supply Coolermaster 700W Silent Pro Gold
Software Linux?^^ ;P Windows 7 64bit
if it wont work terminate manual ATI2EVXX.EXE in your task manager

Oo_Skyline_oO

Processor QX6850
Motherboard ASUS P5KE
Display(s) SCEPTRE 22'w
Case Acrylic
no prob, and post back your final oc results, I wanna see who can overclock their 1900 more on stock air hehe, mine comes in monday.:)

JaiQwan

Case Lian Li V1000
Update: well I tried at first the option Find max core and same thing happened, black screen. I rebooted and then tried to bump up the voltages, when I did that I did not notice any changes, so then I tried to use the sliders while the 3D window was open, and I did not even get much past the stock core speed when I got some really nasty Extreme Artifacts in the 3D window as well as on my desktop. I un-installed ATI Tool & rebooted, at which time I got a single beep and the ((American Megatrends logo, for my Bios)) and option to press F1 to continue. I had to pull the Cmos battery and reset the Cmos with the jumper, as well as go through re-setting everything in my Cmos. All this = not happy and very leary to try again, it is just a pain in the rear to go through all that.

Oo_Skyline_oO said:

Oo_Skyline_oO

Processor QX6850
Motherboard ASUS P5KE
Display(s) SCEPTRE 22'w
Case Acrylic
hate to tell u this buddy, but that's most likely NOT a video card problem, its a mobo problem. Piece of advice, when the screen locks up you've gone alil too high with the vpu core, when you get artifacts all over the screen you've gone a little overboard witht the video card's memory and most of the time if you set it at a lower speed you can still restart without the black screen. and about the artifacts, under settings, it will say "artifact scanning" and at the bottom, you should slide the bar all the way to "find less artifacts(higher overclock" Also, if you have any other third party gpu overclock utilities installed, it will mess everything up. so its either ATITool or any other third party oc tool. When I receive mine, I'll take screenshots and pics of everything needed for a good, stable oc and maybe you'll have some luck next time (JaiQwuan)

JaiQwan

Case Lian Li V1000
Just got home from work a little while ago.
I do understand that it is not a Video card issue and i did not think that I went that high with the with OC sliders. The other thing I forgot to mention in my last post was that I did get a message stating that Over Clock Failed when I was going into the bios setup to re-set the settings that I need to like onboard Audio and CPU Fan monitor.
I have no other GPU overclock utilities installed, other than the Advanced seetings in the display(controle Panel)properties there is an option to or not to use the AI over Driver ((now that I think of it that may have been what caused the issue?)) I was getting tired and from being up all night and for the better part of day yesterday.

And when I did try to use the vpu core sliders I did not notice a change in clock settings so I set tham back to stock settings and tried to use the 3D preview window and the sliders when that happened. Im gonna try this again, but this time Im going to disable the AI Overdrive. Also I have been looking around to see if anyone else has posted any vpu core settings on an XTX, that I might use as guide and not go to High :eek: but I have not found any yet and I have looked in a few forums.

Again I thank ya much for helping :toast:

Oo_Skyline_oO said:
hate to tell u this buddy, but that's most likely NOT a video card problem, its a mobo problem. Piece of advice, when the screen locks up you've gone alil too high with the vpu core, when you get artifacts all over the screen you've gone a little overboard witht the video card's memory and most of the time if you set it at a lower speed you can still restart without the black screen. and about the artifacts, under settings, it will say "artifact scanning" and at the bottom, you should slide the bar all the way to "find less artifacts(higher overclock" Also, if you have any other third party gpu overclock utilities installed, it will mess everything up. so its either ATITool or any other third party oc tool. When I receive mine, I'll take screenshots and pics of everything needed for a good, stable oc and maybe you'll have some luck next time (JaiQwuan)

JaiQwan

Case Lian Li V1000
I started a new thread seeing as it is not a bug issue now :D Check it out when ya have a chance,,, Okay I gotta get some sleep gotta work tonight :(

Oo_Skyline_oO said: