• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Voltage Regulator Risk of Short Circuit

Hello!
I recently installed an Accelero 7970 Cooler. At the time I received the cooler directly from the manufacturer I had no installation manual at hand. So I missed to use a stripe of insulation tape against a certain component row nearthe voltage regulators of the HD 7970.

I linked a picture to help explain my worries in more detail.

The area marked with the red rectangle shows that the voltage regulator cooler touches the grey components in the left side.
This "grey components" which I can not name because I don't know the components name has a solder joint towards the aluminium cooler.
The cooler and the solder joints touch.

The card runs without any problems so my question is does anyone know if this can do harm to the equipment?
I am asking because I am bit lazy to take off the cooler again and the glued coolers. The picture you see is not my card it is taken form the web.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Hello!
I recently installed an Accelero 7970 Cooler. At the time I received the cooler directly from the manufacturer I had no installation manual at hand. So I missed to use a stripe of insulation tape against a certain component row nearthe voltage regulators of the HD 7970.

I linked a picture to help explain my worries in more detail.
[url]http://www.abload.de/thumb/missinginsulationtape22752.jpg[/url]
The area marked with the red rectangle shows that the voltage regulator cooler touches the grey components in the left side.
This "grey components" which I can not name because I don't know the components name has a solder joint towards the aluminium cooler.
The cooler and the solder joints touch.

The card runs without any problems so my question is does anyone know if this can do harm to the equipment?
I am asking because I am bit lazy to take off the cooler again and the glued coolers. The picture you see is not my card it is taken form the web.

No current runs through the mosfet heat sink. I think you're fine. You have to be concerned if there are an soldered components that are in contact with any other metal, but the heat sink is fine.