• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AtiFlash "program cannot be run in DOS"

Zubkover

Hi guys.

So for TWO FAKIN YEARS I tried to make AtiFlash work, but every time I couldn't so I just either unsoldered BIOS and flashed it or or got around it somehow with win version... but now my client has 95 GPUs that need to be flashed ASAP or else they'll actually fry. And he has no OS on machines, because Linux pendrives.

So I made BIOS mod and... Atiflash doesn't work.

For RX 580 on BTC+ H110 Asrock:
Either 2.77 or 2.74 of AtiFlash doesn't work.
YES I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WINFLASH AND FLASH
Tried: HP Format with it's DOS, Org. Win98boot files, both Rufus DOS modes with MS-DOS and FreeDOS
Tried also at: 970M Pro3 + R9 380X / R9 280X and AB350M + R9 380.... same thing.

Da hell am I doing it wrong?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Heres my signature for help, click the one that says AMD flash

The latest versions of ATIFlash that can be run in DOS mode are 4.11 & 4.17(which are earlier than 2.74 and 2.77). If they won't work with your client's GPUs(because they are too new), then you will need to use a later version of ATIWinflash(or run a later version of ATIFlash via CLI). The latest versions of which(2.71, 2.74 & 2.77) don't work with the latest version of Windows 10(1803). So far as I know they work with every other version of Windows, all the way back to Xp(maybe further). 2.6.7 is the latest that works for me(with my 2013 GPU) with the latest version of Windows 10. But I've heard it doesn't work with more recent GPUs. Actually I've heard both, some say it does work, some say it doesn't.

EDIT: In case that's a little too confusing. If it's a version of ATIFlash that came packed(in the same folder) with ATIWinflash it won't work in DOS mode. You can open the file with a hex editor to verify that too. If it can't be run in DOS mode it will be stated in plain English near the beginning of the file. Like so:

ATIFlash.exe 2.77
No DOS.PNG

ATIFlash.exe 4.17 for comparison
DOS.PNG

Last edited:

Zubkover

Ow. That's actually useful.

So basically it these older ones won't work on RX 580s then only WinFlash or... CLI?
What is this?

// Done it. Commends now work, but even on R9 300 series I'm greeted by Adapter not found.

Last edited:
So basically it these older ones won't work on RX 580s then only WinFlash or... CLI?
What is this?
I don't know if they'll work or not. They might.

CLI = Command-Line Interface(or Interpreter), or Command Prompt(cmd/cmd.exe). PowerShell is also a CLI(essentially, though technically it's a Command-Line Shell), but I don't think it works with ATIFlash.

Basically, you need to be running Windows to use ATIFlash via CLI(or ATIWinflash).

Zubkover

I don't know if they'll work or not. They might.

CLI = Command-Line Interface(or Interpreter), or Command Prompt(cmd/cmd.exe). PowerShell is also a CLI(essentially, though technically it's a Command-Line Shell), but I don't think it works with ATIFlash.

Basically, you need to be running Windows to use ATIFlash via CLI(or ATIWinflash).
Nah. That doesn't help my anyhow. Thanks either way for FINALLY clearing things up for me.
Why does PowerUp still advertises 2.77 as native ATIFlash in the same branch as DOS ones?

I've added version 2.84 to our downloads section, which works on latest Windows version:
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/
Nice! The GopInfoX app is good to have too(though I already had another version of it).

The strangest damn thing is...now 2.77 works again. I'd tried it 2 days ago, and it still wouldn't. Then I just tried it again today after testing 2.84. I was hoping it would open the GUI so I could side-by-side compare the differences between 2.77 and 2.84. And it opened just fine. WTF? How/what/where/why? :wtf:

Anyhow...not much changed with the GUI. 2.84 on the left, 2.77 on the right.
2.77 vs 2.84.PNG

Other than that...exactly the same.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
And it opened just fine. WTF? How/what/where/why?
You started the new version first? Which loaded its driver, and then the old version used that new driver

You started the new version first? Which loaded its driver, and then the old version used that new driver
Yeah, I started the new version first. Then closed it. Then tried 2.77 and it worked.

I think you're right about the driver(or something?). It probably had something to do with running 2.84 first at least. But I just restarted my system and tried 2.77 again, and it now doesn't work at all anymore. Even after running 2.84. Weird. Oh well...don't need it anyway.