• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AU Optronics Announces 85-inch 4K 240 Hz Display Panel

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
View attachment 217667
I think you would be surprised.
... Where is the projector room? I've seen crazy home cinema setups before. But the question is: how many people have these? On a forum, even a couple dozen can feel like a lot. I guesstimated 1000 people fitting all the criteria for this TV. Which is of course pulled out of thin air, but it sounds realistic to me. "Some people have crazy home theaters" does nothing to make me think that number is any higher.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Sarcasm aside, I'd say don't knock it till you try it. And let's say you do extensively try it and don't like it, that in no way diminishes the enjoyment of others.

It doesn't diminish anything unless you let it happen to you. And if it does, perhaps there's some truth in it ;)

I'll knock anything I like, because I've seen/experienced these technologies already. You don't need to buy things/have them in system specs to know things. I also dó know that high pixel densities get lost on your head/eyes at certain distances. I also dó know that sitting close to a very large monitor is a painful affair for long sessions. Etc etc etc.

There are very good reasons not to chase everything commerce throws at you. A vast majority of them, you never really needed anyway, and a subset of them are there only to draw you into more sales. RTX/DLSS is among them, as was Gsync, and many other proprietary Nvidia stuff. These are choices that all factor in to the 'experience'. The experience is also its limitations, for example, not having the support where you wanted it, and being on Nvidia's teats waiting for it. Again, this is experience I've built up over the years; for example with SLI, which lacked support where it was often truly needed. People can say a hundred times how fantastic it is, but its the underlying, inherent aspects of it that truly matter for long term. And wrt to dedicated hardware for upscaling/AA, we've got a long way to go in the industry for widespread support.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
That thread has 1120 pages.
... and? It's a discussion about a 55" 4k TV (and it has no doubt branched out into dozens upon dozens of new directions since the thread started). Are you actually trying to argue that "this thread on an AV forum has tons of posts, so the market for 85" TVs is huge? Because that's rather absurd. While 65" has largely overtaken 55" as the most popular size for high end TVs these days, and even 75" exists at reasonable price points, expecting 85" TVs to reach any significant level of adoption entirely ignores the practical issues surrounding this - like actually getting it into your house/apartment. An 85" TV is large enough that you'll struggle to get its box into a room if you have to round a single corner on the way there. And it will entirely dominate the room, be heavy enough that most TV stands will struggle to hold it (and wall mounting sure isn't going to be easy with a 40+ kg weight), and so on. The vast majority of people just don't want something that big. And that's a huge part of the draw of projectors as well - they can deliver huge screen sizes without dominating the room. And while some people do indeed have dedicated home cinema rooms, they are rare. Very, very rare.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
... and? It's a discussion about a 55" 4k TV (and it has no doubt branched out into dozens upon dozens of new directions since the thread started). Are you actually trying to argue that "this thread on an AV forum has tons of posts, so the market for 85" TVs is huge? Because that's rather absurd. While 65" has largely overtaken 55" as the most popular size for high end TVs these days, and even 75" exists at reasonable price points, expecting 85" TVs to reach any significant level of adoption entirely ignores the practical issues surrounding this - like actually getting it into your house/apartment. An 85" TV is large enough that you'll struggle to get its box into a room if you have to round a single corner on the way there. And it will entirely dominate the room, be heavy enough that most TV stands will struggle to hold it (and wall mounting sure isn't going to be easy with a 40+ kg weight), and so on. The vast majority of people just don't want something that big. And that's a huge part of the draw of projectors as well - they can deliver huge screen sizes without dominating the room. And while some people do indeed have dedicated home cinema rooms, they are rare. Very, very rare.

This will be my next main room TV for the soon to arrive PS5. I also have a HTPC. For 2.35:1 and wider videos, I prefer projection.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
It doesn't diminish anything unless you let it happen to you. And if it does, perhaps there's some truth in it ;)

I'll knock anything I like, because I've seen/experienced these technologies already. You don't need to buy things/have them in system specs to know things.
Sure, I mean I'm wrong to assume, but I'll take the opinion of a trusted reviewer or someone who owns and extensively plays with the tech's opinion, over what I'd call a less informed one, perhaps by way of discussion topics, stills/YT comparisons or some brief game time. Time and time again I find the critiques of non-customers/owners/users less meaningful, and time again the strongest negative critiques I see come from that group. and again, even IF someone fell into that group and disagreed, I chime in perhaps only to show the other side of the coin, should a less informed individual read these comments and have them factor into a decision.
I also dó know that high pixel densities get lost on your head/eyes at certain distances. I also dó know that sitting close to a very large monitor is a painful affair for long sessions. Etc etc etc.
I'd rate this as more of a personal truth than an absolute one, and I disagree, so I'll leave that there.
There are very good reasons not to chase everything commerce throws at you. A vast majority of them, you never really needed anyway, and a subset of them are there only to draw you into more sales. RTX/DLSS is among them, as was Gsync, and many other proprietary Nvidia stuff. These are choices that all factor in to the 'experience'. The experience is also its limitations, for example, not having the support where you wanted it, and being on Nvidia's teats waiting for it. Again, this is experience I've built up over the years; for example with SLI, which lacked support where it was often truly needed. People can say a hundred times how fantastic it is, but its the underlying, inherent aspects of it that truly matter for long term. And wrt to dedicated hardware for upscaling/AA, we've got a long way to go in the industry for widespread support.
I barely read the marketing content, much less bought into it. I procured hardware that met my requirements. Behold, it has additional features beyond my requirements, additional features I've used and happen to like, in the here and now. Does it need to stay around forever, or even say 5 years? probably not, when I can enable and enjoy it now and ride the fun wave that is bleeding edge tech. In ~3 years when I have new hardware I'll enjoy what it offers at the time and rate that appropriately too.