• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AutoCAD Compatibility Questions

OrbitzXT

System Name AX-01
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K @3.7 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX 590
Storage Intel X25-M
Display(s) 42" Samsung LED HDTV
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Power Supply Kingwin 1000W
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
I had wanted to upgrade the computers at my job's office to Windows 7, though I've run into a bit of a brick wall at the moment. They're a contracting business and use AutoCAD a lot, AutoCAD 2002 to be precise. There seems to be some very strange behavior with AutoCAD in Windows 7.

When first installed, it works perfectly fine right off the bat without having to do anything. If you reboot the computer however, everytime you open the program you get a

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled e06d7363h Exception at 7668b727h

and the program closes. There is a strange work around though. Double click an AutoCAD drawing created in Windows XP, it will open it without any issues. I feel it would be ridiculous to tell my bosses though to open one drawing just to open another. They're going to just want to double click whatever they have to to open it.

The other problem is they're stuck on AutoCAD 2002. It's not a matter of money upgrading to a later version, they've looked at trials of these versions and feel lost in them. 2002 does what they need and they'd prefer to stick with it out of comfort.

I've been told running XP in a virtual machine on Windows 7 makes AutoCAD 2002 work, but to be honest I'm not quite sure how to do that.

Ideally I'd like to get 2002 working on Windows 7, they wanted to upgrade from XP but they also want their AutoCAD 02. I'm the kind of person who hates disappointing people. Any thoughts of what I can do? If you google "Autocad 2002 Windows 7 Fatal Error" you can see it's a very common issue. Unless I've looked over it, I haven't found a good solution.

Edit: I've tried XP Compatibility mode, Run as Admin, and I installed a 32 bit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.