• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Batman's CaseLabs Mercury S8 Work Computer

System Name Batman's CaseLabs Mercury S8 Work Computer
Processor 8086K 5.4 Cine MT stable 5.5 Cine ST stable 5.6 single-core boost work app stable
Motherboard Maximus Apex 10-Maximus 11 Apex (coming soon)
Cooling Noctua C14S for all overclocking thus far
Memory Gskill Trident Z 3200/14 8GB (x4Dimms) Quad Kit (only able to use 2modules with Apex board)
Video Card(s) AMD WX 4100 Workstation Card (AMD WX 4200 Vega (coming soon)
Storage Intel Optane 32GB module (x2 in RAID0) = 64GB /Optane 905P 280GB Add In Card (coming soon)
Display(s) Planar 27in 2560x1440 Glossy LG panel with glass bonded to panel for increased clarity
Case CaseLabs Mercury S8 open bench frame two-tone black front cover with gunmetal chassis
Audio Device(s) crummy logitech speakers lol
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 600watt Fanless
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S dark midnight teal blue and Logitech MX Vertical (both wireless)
Keyboard HHKB Professional 2 Silent Type-S white and gray PBT keycaps Topre switches
Software Work Apps text and statistical
Benchmark Scores Cinebench Multithread 1724 Cinebench Single Thread 236
My 12month old 8700K binned at 5.2Ghz scoring a Cinebench ST at 5.3Ghz of 233 (screenshot below).

My 8086K scored a Cinebench ST of 236 TPU high score, but that was at 5.5Ghz!

What the heck is going on?

It's the exact same silicon for goodness sake! :eek:

Going to push the 8700K further, maybe it will surpass the 8086K at the higher bin. Muhuhaha Muhuha (mad scientist laugh) :D

WOW, if I only had a magical appearance from the Siliconlottery guy to help me sort out this conundrum. How wonderful would that be?

Still on Noctua good air, the 8700K is the 2ndary rig, not the Batman build, cooler photo attached. It ain't pretty, but it's superfast ultra responsive with Optane 2X M.2s in RAID 0, and perfectly inaudible with the single 140mm fan dialed down to 650rpms open air baby, no closed case interference. :toast:

This is the very best Single thread and Slightly threaded bleeding edge performance you can possibly get from any CPU on planet earth in 2018.

Multi-threaded, no

For Single and Slightly threaded work applications and for gaming. YES, Coffee Lake high bins. There's nothing greater.

...unless the Coffee Lake Refresh 9700K and 9900K clock high, or simply overlap, we don't know yet. Only small samples of the 9900K have been tested so far. :)

and no laughing at my NVidia 1050Ti MSI low-profile graphics card in the Cinebench ST score. It plays Doom 2016 in 1440p just fine. lol I know it's not a water cooled 2080Ti or anything fancy, but I'm a seldom gamer, and the 1050Ti only cost $159. It's a great little card 2-slot super thick heatsink, idles at 28C all day long while researching online material.

Attachments

Last edited:
Processor 8086K 5.4 Cine MT stable 5.5 Cine ST stable 5.6 single-core boost work app stable
Memory Gskill Trident Z 3200/14 8GB (x4Dimms) Quad Kit (only able to use 2modules with Apex board)
Storage Intel Optane 32GB module (x2 in RAID0) = 64GB /Optane 905P 280GB Add In Card (coming soon)
Display(s) Planar 27in 2560x1440 Glossy LG panel with glass bonded to panel for increased clarity
Case CaseLabs Mercury S8 open bench frame two-tone black front cover with gunmetal chassis
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S dark midnight teal blue and Logitech MX Vertical (both wireless)
Keyboard HHKB Professional 2 Silent Type-S white and gray PBT keycaps Topre switches
Waiting for the Maximus XI Apex to launch and the Optane 905P 280GB PCIe Add-In-Card to finish the Batman Build.

Have you noticed the older Optane 900Ps in 280GB and 480GB capacity are all ON SALE at Newegg? $269, and $259 with another 10% off on top of that.

That's because Intel is pushing out the old stock, it's a fire sale all the 900Ps must go to make room for the 905Ps with the cool blue LEDs, oh yea. :cool:

The superfast SSD is gonna look sweet in peripheral vision (just to my right) while working. :):):)

Sometimes, you just have to see the Big Picture. lol :p

180502-163726.jpg

This is an awesome little mod anyone can accomplish, to save a great deal of money creating some external backup storage for an inaudible workspace.

A sidenote: the storage reviewer at CNET was complaining and scored down these drives for not being what he really wanted in a portable drive - he felt they were too large. Sony makes these drives both HDD and SSD for the film and photographic industry and never claims they can store in your top pocket. They really are for mostly desktop use and only semi-portable throw in a duffel bag or camera bag and working on-site. I've traveled with these drives and they do fine, dropped them a few times on carpet etc, no issues at all.

Those very tiny pocket size SATA drives do the job, but I wanted something that looked great on my desktop, where the drives will spend most of their time.

Sony wanted 62,640 yen or $590.07USD for one ($1180.14USD for two) of their new external 480GB USB C and 3.0 SSD drives, which seemed excessive simply to have a silent running external and redundant backup on the desktop. So picked up two (2) of the Sony external HDD 1TB spinning disk drives from B&H Photo for only $84.99 each and replaced the noisy (at least to me) 1TB Seagate 2.5inch HDD with Samsung 2.5inch 850 EVO SSDs, since the enclosures are exactly the same as the $600 Sony SSD sku. Simply needed to crack open the enclosure and replace the drives: HDD out - SSD in, a small bit of hard drive surgery to create a silent solution at less than half the cost.

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/systecintl/psz-sc48/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ernal_hdd.html

Using (2) Samsung SATA 850 EVO SSDs in the two Sony external enclosures and (4) Samsung SATA 860 PRO SSDs mounted within the Supermicro 8-bay internal 2.5in drive mount. Why EVO vs PRO? 860 vs 850? Any rhyme or reason to this decision or use case? Not really, after spending so much on the four Samsung 860 Pro drives which are new for 2018, just wanted to save a little money so opted for the two 850 EVO SSDs for the external replacement drives, don't believe there's much difference 850 EVO vs 860 PRO really except maybe endurance if the drives are saturated daily over time, that I'll most likely never experience.

Anyhoo, a great external silent solution for anyone willing to get their hands a little dirty. Could not grasp spending $1200 for the same simple setup, and you also get a nice performance boost external transfer speed is 480MB/s for SSD vs 138MB/s HDD.

Before and after pics below:

Anyone attempting this, please note there's a hidden screw on the Sony enclosures underneath the sticker that you need to "feel around for" with your finger to locate, must be removed gently in order to open the drives.

Warning: yes, this will void your $85 Sony enclosure warranty, thought that was a given, just like delidding a CPU.

Apologize for the step by step excessive number of photos, but they should be helpful anyone attempting this disassembly and reassembly, and yes you do need to remove the PCB entirely, with the power OFF, of course.

First pic is the completed drives stacked and working just fine, something about black silicon housing and blue leds is very stealthy and Batman to my eyes. Cheers! :toast:

IMG_0173.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:
Another storage mod, this time internal.

I'll do a write up on this Supermicro 8-bay 2.5inch drive cage/mobile rack if anyone is interested in adding the unit into your work rig or all-around rig. Benefits for gaming? I can't think of any, unless your gaming rig is also your multipurpose all-around rig. Benefits for work are almost endless: simple backup, complex backup, category redundancy, offsite storage, hotswapping drives, offline OS reformatting etc.

Supermicro produces four skus

TechPowerUp readers and members will probably want the complete (NON-OEM) SATA 3 sku with fan (even if you disable the fan, you need the rear metal casing). The Aquaero 6 LT will also lower the 10,000rpm stock Sanyo Denki crazy loud 40mmx28mm "server room fan" down to an inaudible 1,200rpms and still provide a PULL airflow front to rear for HDDs if that's your choice of drives. SSDs should not need any active cooling. Still, I'm running 4 SATA storage SSDs and keep the 40mmX28mm fan running at an inaudible 1200rpms, figure why not the Aquaero 6 LT is right there, ready to help with an empty fan bay, so why not use it?

This one:

https://www.supermicro.com/products/...SE-M28SACB.cfm

The 8 blue front drive activity LEDs are vibrant and beautiful in peripheral vision while working, and blend with the CaseLabs blue PWR LED switch perfectly. Also comes with red drive failure LEDs that power on as a self test each and every boot.

Picked one up from Wiredzone.com since they are in Florida and thought shipping would be superfast. Ended up, the unit shipped from Supermicro direct from their California warehouse, and took 8days, which was fine with me.

http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-...8sacb-10023425

The dual 5.25inch bay sku mounts with these CaseLabs Flexbay mounts, easy and so clean. Picked up a pair from Performance PC in gunmetal gray. (no longer available since CL is gone.) :ohwell:

Addendum: the extremely loud pwm fan arrives plugged into the Supermicro backplane, which does offer some PCB thermal regulated relief from the full 10,000 rpm insanity. That tiny little fan mounted in the drive bay, mounted in the CaseLabs makes my entire desk RUMBLE and vibrate at 10,000rpms.

Of course, the Aquaero 6 LT does so much more, obviously you can dial in the rpm of your choice.

All I did was pull the fan plug OUT of the Supermicro backplane and push it INTO an Aquaero 6 LT PWM fan port/bay/header, the cable was an ideal length, so no modification was needed at all.

For those who don't own an Aquaero 6 XT or LT and are running all SSDs, and wish to use NO FAN. All you need to do is pull the fan plug out from the backplane. Your pc will restart with the drive rack sounding off nonfunctional fan alarms and lights, don't worry, just reboot one more time and the PCB then understands you do not wish to use a fan, everything goes silent and resets and the warning lights turn themselves off. It's a well engineered part.

Temps on the (4) Sammy 860 Pro drives mounted in the Supermicro (pic below) are pretty good with the 10Krpm fan turned down to 1200rpm. With fan unplugged/disabled, temps only rise about 1C-2C, not a huge increase, but the Aquaero 6 is right there so I figured why not plug in the fan and drop the 40mm Sanyo fan rpms to an inaudible level, which turned out to be 1200.

Temps of the four drives are 22C 22C 21C 22C, pretty much ambient room at the time. Cheers again! :toast:

Another photographic onslaught!. lol :p

IMG_1328.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:
Been chatting it up with the Acronis technicians, and they've assured me with the new drivers available in True Image 2019, it's possible to create a CSI - clean system image of the primary OS drive with all my work apps installed and set up mounted on one Optane drive and backed up to another Optane drive, both drives connected internally to the Z390 chipset.

In the past, Acronis always asks for an external source and fails to recognize any internal drives when trying to restore a clean system image.

So going ahead and planning an Optane 905P 480GB 2.5in M.2-U.2 drive along with the Optane 905P 280GB Add In Card (with cool blue leds :cool:) mounted in slot 16_3 on the Maximus XI Apex.

So total storage for the Batman build will be:

-Optane NVMe SSD 905P 280GB PCIe AIC (mounted vertically in Maximus XI Apex slot 16_3)

-Optane NVMe SSD 905P 480GB 2.5in M.2 to U.2 (from the DIMM.2 also mounted vertically onto the CaseLabs horizontal accessory strut) - should look amazing. :clap:

-Samsung 860 PRO 2.5inch SATA SSD 256GB (X4) (mounted in the Supermicro 8-bay mobile rack)

Yep, that’s 24 allocated PCIe lanes, the maximum available with the Z390 chipset.

So all 16 CPU PCIe lanes from the 8086K, remaining available for the AMD workstation graphics card in slot 16_1.

Physically mounting the 2.5inch Optane drive sideways vertically on one end to the CaseLabs horizontal accessory mount, since the genius designer at CL made certain the mounting holes aligned perfectly (pic attached) with the 2.5inch HDD-SSD standard of 76mm. So a simple mounting with 2 small fasteners. Thank you again CaseLabs, I miss you guys. :ohwell:

The Acronis people also offered a $14.99 upgrade to get the new Optane drivers in the 2019 version of True Image vs my current 2017 version, that’s not so bad, figured why not to gain internal to internal functionality. External drives are great for mobility, but so slow when packing and unpacking large image files like 80GB to 150GBs at one time.

Intel_Optane_SSD_905P_connections.jpg
IMG_5551.JPG

Last edited:
Oh and by the way, speaking of Optane. Saw this - this morning: The 900P 280GB Add In Card drives on Super Black Friday Sale today at Newegg, only $244. WOW!

NO cool blue LEDs with the 900P, though still very fast.

Intel in cooperation with Newegg has been pushing out the 900Ps as fast as they can get them in.

I've had the 900P, it's superbly built and superfast. Returned mine when the 905P with the blue lighting was announced. But if the LEDs don't appeal to you, and you want to save a ton of money, grab a 900P on SuperSale. Doom 2016 loads in about 8-10 seconds if that's any reference and/or attribute to Optane responsiveness. And my boot times are about 4 to 6seconds, but boot times with all the Apex boards are very low, it's a cumulative effect. :)

'Tis the season to grab great gear for almost nothin'. lol :)

IMG_1611.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:
This processor is the most functional and fastest most responsive lowest latency - for single and slightly threaded applications.

On planet Earth.

Until 10nm arrives 12months from now.

Bruce Wayne approves this message. :p

IMG_3743.JPG

dc-comics-justice-league-batman-tactical-batsuit-version-sixth-scale-hot-toys-903119-21.jpg

Last edited:
If the Maximus XI Extreme had a larger OLED screen positioned in the northbridge area like the Maximus XI Formula, and also a heatsink/cover for the naked M.2 mounting between PCIe slot 2 and 3 like the Maximus XI Hero, and an aesthetic PCIe shroud like the Rampage VI Extreme, and the 16phase Super VRM like the Maximus XI Apex, and the DIMM.2 was connected to the chipset lanes instead of the CPU lanes so you could actually use the DIMM.2 without dropping your video card in slot 16_1 to 8X, and Asus added Thunderbolt connectivity like every other Maximus Extreme board since the Maximus V series, then it would be worth the $599 price tag.

But the Maximus XI Extreme has NONE of those features.

Sorry for the mini-rant so bummed with Asus, my favorite motherboard maker, really planned on picking up both the Maximus XI Extreme and XI Apex boards this series since it sounds like it's going to be so long until 10nm and Ice Lake get sorted out and become available, maybe not until the 2nd half of 2020, who knows. I've owned the Maximus V Extreme and the Maximus VIII Extreme and so loved both of those motherboards, they had every known technology available at the time, and I really thought that's what the "extreme" board was supposed to represent. Totally understand ROG adding the Apex series, love the idea of a stripped down board for running daily stable high clocks, and happy they've added a few more features to the Apex line for Z390, but it just seems like they took away so much from the Extreme XI and still want to charge $599? That's just crazy. :shadedshu:

I understand these Coffee Lake CPUs only offer 16 PCIe lanes and ROG decided to allocate the DIMM.2 to all those CPU lanes to increase bandwidth when running two NVMe M.2 drives in RAID 0 like the Samsung 960s and 970s. But I just wonder how many enthusiasts are going to drop $600 on the M11E and later find out in order to use the awesome DIMM.2 feature they drop their single video card lanes automatically from 16X to 8X. OK, maybe some will not mind and I've heard it's not a big deal when gaming, but didn't TPU and the amazing W1zzard just prove with the NVidia 2080Ti that all 16 video lanes are now saturated when using that card?

So as far as which board to buy, now it kinda places enthusiasts between a ROG and a hard place. lol :D

Cannot speak for other enthusiasts, but I want all 16 of those CPU lanes allocated to my AMD Radeon Pro workstation video card, and not cut down to 8X.

At least ROG did produce an amazing Maximus XI Apex (with the DIMM.2 wired to the chipset) although I do miss the X-shaped and the EATX form factor of the past two generations. Oh well, at least the amazing and so beautiful 16-phase VRM mounted on the Apex 11 is something to look forward to and get excited about. Makes this hobby so enjoyable. :toast:

Maybe I will reunite again with a Maximus XII (12) Extreme in early 2020 when PCIe 4.0 becomes the new standard, and Intel Optane DDR5 memory modules become available for client builds.

M11E.png

Last edited: