• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best Nvme SSD with best power efficiency for laptops?

Hi,

Use to have a Dell XPS 9343 and use to get about 5-6 hours battery life however last year since I gutted and replaced the inside with 9350 parts for NVME support I now get 3 hrs at best. Using a Samsung SM961 512gb drive and want to replace it with something less power hungry. Looking at either a Sabrant Rocket, Kingston KC2500, or a MydigitalSSD SBX Pro. So wonder which one would be better?

Should note that the power issues also come from going from 8gb ram to 16gb and from an i5 to an i7 plus the HD 4K screen doesn’t help. Tried upgrading the battery from 52 to 56 watt hour battery but still battery life sucks.

Thanks

System Name Ol' Beastie's alter ego
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard B450 I Aorus Pro Wifi (F50)
Cooling Dark Rock Pro 4, NF-A14 iPPC-2000
Memory 32GB Trident Z RGB (3600 16-19-19-37, DJR)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super FE
Storage 2.75TB - SX8200, MX300, Blue3D
Display(s) BenQ GW2765HT
Case TJ08B-E
Audio Device(s) DT 770 80Ω - Blue Snowball iCE
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-550PX/Cablemod SE
Mouse Endgame XM1
Keyboard various customs
Software Windows 10 1909
Hi,

Use to have a Dell XPS 9343 and use to get about 5-6 hours battery life however last year since I gutted and replaced the inside with 9350 parts for NVME support I now get 3 hrs at best. Using a Samsung SM961 512gb drive and want to replace it with something less power hungry. Looking at either a Sabrant Rocket, Kingston KC2500, or a MydigitalSSD SBX Pro. So wonder which one would be better?

Should note that the power issues also come from going from 8gb ram to 16gb and from an i5 to an i7 plus the HD 4K screen doesn’t help. Tried upgrading the battery from 52 to 56 watt hour battery but still battery life sucks.

Thanks
The WD SN750 pretty much always tops the charts in power efficiency and by quite the margin. But otherwise, it's an average performing 3D TLC drive, and isn't priced as a budget drive. Quite honestly, most of these bigger brand name drives have optimizations for lower power idle in laptops, so unless you're like AT and run debilitatingly heavy SSD benchmarks 24/7/365, none of them are going to chop your battery life in half.

I have a SN750 in my 9370 and have no complaints. I'm not familiar with the SBX Pro, only the outdated SBX, which was a DRAM-equipped drive. The Sabrent Rocket is highly rated, but is a DRAMless drive which means lower performance generally.

Go with what you want, generally, as long as experienced reviewers don't say there's anything seriously wrong with it. My OEM drive was the PM981, by all accounts the fastest all-around 3D TLC drive ever, and essentially downgrading to a bigger but slower SN750 I didn't notice any loss of performance. I'd take the WD SN550 if you don't want to break the bank, honestly; it sips power pretty conservatively and has solid performance for a DRAMless drive.

Simply having the 4K screen in a XPS 13 is straight up gutting your battery life. The choice of drive is much less important.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 1700X - 4.0 Ghz / 1.350V
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4
Cooling Scythe Katana 4 - 3x 120mm case fans
Memory 16GB - Corsair Vengeance LPX
Video Card(s) OEM Dell GTX 1080
Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) 4K Samsung TV
Case Zalman R1
Power Supply 500W
Use to have a Dell XPS 9343 and use to get about 5-6 hours battery life however last year since I gutted and replaced the inside with 9350 parts for NVME support I now get 3 hrs at best.
That sounds really odd, I highly doubt a drive can literally halve your battery life. In fact there is no way it's anything but negligible, I think you'll be wasting your money trying to find a drive with better efficiency, it just wont matter.

Mussels

Moderprator
Staff member
System Name Big Fella
Processor Ryzen R7 3700X Stock w/ Dark Rock Slim
Motherboard Asus B450-i ITX
Cooling GPU: Corsair H110 W/ Corsair ML RGB fans
Memory 16GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3333MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X (BIOS mod to Gaming Z) (45C max load, H110 AIO)
Storage 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000 Pro NVME
Display(s) Phillips 328m6fjrmb (32" 1440p 144hz curved) + Sony KD-55X8500F (55" 4K HDR)
Case Fractal Design Nano S
Audio Device(s) Razer Leviathan + Corsair Void pro RGB, Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Corsair HX 750i (Platinum, fan off til 300W)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + PowerPlay mousepad
Keyboard Corsair K65 Rapidfire
Software Windows 10 pro x64 (all systems)
Benchmark Scores Laptop: i7-4510U + 840M 2GB (touchscreen) 275GB SSD + 16GB
Yeah these NVME drives are extremely low power consumption, its not the cause of your reduced battery life

you can get cooler running ones for less heat, but these are damned low power usage devices

Thanks guys for the comments. Reason I believe the nvme drive is responsible at least partially is because of accounts of others I have read of others that have experienced the same thing. Also read reviews on the 9350 that criticized its poor battery performance despite Dells claims to the contrary. Then there’s the heat I feel coming from the underside. It’s really hot at times. I had to placed a thermal pad to keep the drive cool or cooler. Going to buy something this weekend. Got nothing to lose. Thanks.

System Name Ol' Beastie's alter ego
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard B450 I Aorus Pro Wifi (F50)
Cooling Dark Rock Pro 4, NF-A14 iPPC-2000
Memory 32GB Trident Z RGB (3600 16-19-19-37, DJR)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super FE
Storage 2.75TB - SX8200, MX300, Blue3D
Display(s) BenQ GW2765HT
Case TJ08B-E
Audio Device(s) DT 770 80Ω - Blue Snowball iCE
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-550PX/Cablemod SE
Mouse Endgame XM1
Keyboard various customs
Software Windows 10 1909
Thanks guys for the comments. Reason I believe the nvme drive is responsible at least partially is because of accounts of others I have read of others that have experienced the same thing. Also read reviews on the 9350 that criticized its poor battery performance despite Dells claims to the contrary. Then there’s the heat I feel coming from the underside. It’s really hot at times. I had to placed a thermal pad to keep the drive cool or cooler. Going to buy something this weekend. Got nothing to lose. Thanks.
Again, unless you make a living off benchmarking drives all day, that's not the SSD you're feeling. That's heat from the CPU and its surrounding components. Slower NVMes simply don't even draw that much power. You need to check your power and performance options, get a monitoring program to monitor the temperatures you're seeing from that CPU on a daily basis, then decide whether it's appropriate to explore Throttlestop or XTU to undervolt / reduce power limits of your CPU.

My 9370 has a 8550U that has twice the core count, thread count and significantly higher turbo max speeds than your 6560U, and with undervolting in Throttlestop when I'm using Windows or intel-undervolt when I'm in Kubuntu, the body and chassis bottom is cool to the touch in daily usage. Use HWInfo running in the background to see how your CPU is boosting / drawing power / temps, and make sure both C-states and Speedshift are enabled in BIOS.

You're just speculating on how hot the drive is unless you actually fire up a monitoring program and leave it to record the max temperatures experienced by your drive. Mine just has a thin sheet of aluminium that gets pasted atop the drive, and it stays almost as cool as the NVMe in my desktop.

Again, unless you make a living off benchmarking drives all day, that's not the SSD you're feeling. That's heat from the CPU and its surrounding components. Slower NVMes simply don't even draw that much power. You need to check your power and performance options, get a monitoring program to monitor the temperatures you're seeing from that CPU on a daily basis, then decide whether it's appropriate to explore Throttlestop or XTU to undervolt / reduce power limits of your CPU.

My 9370 has a 8550U that has twice the core count, thread count and significantly higher turbo max speeds than your 6560U, and with undervolting in Throttlestop when I'm using Windows or intel-undervolt when I'm in Kubuntu, the body and chassis bottom is cool to the touch in daily usage. Use HWInfo running in the background to see how your CPU is boosting / drawing power / temps, and make sure both C-states and Speedshift are enabled in BIOS.

You're just speculating on how hot the drive is unless you actually fire up a monitoring program and leave it to record the max temperatures experienced by your drive. Mine just has a thin sheet of aluminium that gets pasted atop the drive, and it stays almost as cool as the NVMe in my desktop.

I have been using Coretemp to monitor temps and core utilization percentages and noticed that the i6560u cpu was running hot. Like 80-90 degrees hot. I replaced the TIM twice and even bought a new heatsink just in case my original heatsink might have gotten a kink in it so I replaced it and placed Grizly Thermal pads on its backside and got the temps to drop probably 10 -15 degrees. Never the less because its only a dual core cpu most of the time I have noticed the cpu near 90 -100 % loaded. Going to check bios to see if C-states and Speedshift are enabled, and investigate Throttlestop.

Thanks.