• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best way to get more out of an ATI X850 Pro AGP?

Dizman7

Processor AMD Opteron 165 Stock 1.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus A8N-32 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500
Memory 4x 1GB OCZ Platinum DDR400
Video Card(s) Asus nVidia 9800 GTX+
Storage WD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA and Maxtor 250GB Storage SATA
Display(s) Gateway FPD2185W 21" Widescreen High-Definition LCD Flat-Panel Display
Case AeroCool AeroEngine2
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
Power Supply Zalman 750W
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Well I just got this today and I'm at work so I haven't got to use it yet (you can read why I had to get it here http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=57250#post57250

So I have a new ATI X850 Pro AGP and a new Zalman VF700-Cu LED. I'm not new to building computers but Iam new to videocard modding. I did a little overclocking using ATITool with my X800Pro but it was in short burst as I didn't want to risk melting it with stock fan, though after a couple hours I still had no problems.

I'm wonder how I should go about getting more out of it. I've read a bit about the pixel pipelines, should I flash just x850Pro w/16 pls or flash x850xtpe or overclocking or both, I'm not sure the exact combo of things to do other than install the new heatsink and fan and eventually overclock.

Another question is should I install the Zalman now or wait till I "break it in" first as it is a brand new card, still in the box in my car as I'm here at work

Last edited:

loco

install the Zalman flash the x850Pro w/16 and use atitool to oc.

noneed4me2

System Name TheloneFrakker..;)
Processor Q6600 GO FSB333@3.04ghz
Motherboard Asus P5E3 Deluxe Wifi
Cooling Stock for now
Memory 2x1gb/Gskill DDR3 1333@9,9,9,24 1t
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD2900XT
Storage Seagate Barrucuda 7200.11 500gb SATAII 32mb cache
Display(s) Sceptre xw20g Naga 20.1"
Case Thermaltake Bach VX w/Side window
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Hiper 580w Modular
Software XP Pro/Vista Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores None yet, coming soon...
make sure you check your fuses against the ones in the fuses thread that will save you from flashing if it isn't necessary. If the best buy you got it from had those on the shelf awhile your chances are better it will mod. Good luck, oh and for the record theres nothing wrong with agp its just that the manufacturers no longer want to support it which is wierd considering there is still a huge market for it, I mean its not like its the old pci bus or ISA. With the card you got you should be good for awhile, even with pci/e card i got i am sure i will still be forced to upgrade to an sm3 card before to long.

Last edited: