• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BF2142 problems? Post them here!

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Well I used to use AVG and it never gave me any problems. You could try temporarily disabling AVG and ZoneAlarm to see if it still happens, at least that would rule them out. Another thing I would recommend is to restart your router and try running a few pings to it just to make sure nothing is wrong with that.

HamO

From the last post i made to now my internet has been cut off...rang up 'talk talk' and ended up in some pakistani switch board...after explaining to him that the inernet just stopped working...he looked on his machine and it says that we canceled our acount with them 3 days ago! funnily enough just when i bought the game...and it has been doing it since i installed it so this looks like it could be the problem...

Im online now using my nokia mobile as a modem $$$$ a minute i expect but had to say...

If the problems continuu once my internet is back on and running il try what you suggested.

Cheers

HamO

Jimmy 2004

Motherboard ASUS K8N
Case Antec P182
Software Windows XP Home
Thought you said you were on BT 10meg? Talktalk only offer 8 and they haven't upgraded most of their services to beyond 2megabit yet. Anyway, I'm on Talktalk's 2meg waiting for my upgrade to 8 and I have no problems like that so it if it is with talktalk I expect it is the exchange. Anyway, post back on how it is.

SlickVic

ey, this is the problem that iam getting when i get into a titan, i have the lastest patches and this started to happend RIGHT after i install 1.05. the options are untouched and nothing to the pc has been changed since i install the patch. i thought maybe 1.06 would fix it. but still has the problem, i dont see anything else wrong with the game so far but that. its driving me insane cuz it does it everytime i go in. someone told to play with the video settings and i did, i cant seem to find whats wrong. can anyone help?

Attachments

• screen000.jpg
    screen000.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 762

ktr

ey, this is the problem that iam getting when i get into a titan, i have the lastest patches and this started to happend RIGHT after i install 1.05. the options are untouched and nothing to the pc has been changed since i install the patch. i thought maybe 1.06 would fix it. but still has the problem, i dont see anything else wrong with the game so far but that. its driving me insane cuz it does it everytime i go in. someone told to play with the video settings and i did, i cant seem to find whats wrong. can anyone help?

Quote from EA...
5. Graphic corruption on the Titan. Everything is black or dark.

-This may be related to the in-game video options causing conflicts on some machines. One of the support guys here had the issue and adjusted the options for Dynamic Shadows and Lighting, Anti-Aliasing, and Texture Filtering to resolve the issue. Drop those options and then adjust them up one by one until you find out which one causes the issue. Let me know if that helps.

Last edited:

Bloodycrow

Fix it?

tr-606
Also if you have EVER had any copy tools on your system, like Alcohol 120, or Clone CD/DVD, there's a huge risk that the disc won't be seen, the entries are in the registry and they can't all be removed.

Parashoot
There's no way to get rid of the alcohol 120% registry values?

2142 was working since I got this comp 2 weeks ago, until I recently put PowerISO on my computer. Than I began getting the dvd disk read error.
After much help (not to mention incredibly interesting information) from tr-606 I simply uninstalled PowerISO, though that didn't fix the problem right away.

Despite tr's above quote, I decided to attempt to remove the registry entrys anyhow, and used Registry Mechanic (which found a disgustingly 658 errors on a 2 week old machine).

It works now, but I can't say for certain if it was because of PowerISO or because it cleaned out a registry item related to 2142.

After looking through the search log, this was one of the error's it fixed:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA CORE\INSTALLED GAMES\EAGAMES\BF2142\ONLINE_CONTENT\BF2142_NA
Value : GameLauncherPath = C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\bf2142launcher.exe
Parsed : c:\program files\electronic arts\battlefield 2142\bf2142launcher.exe

It could be just one of those fixes that works for me and noone else.

Either way, it works now, and my registry is clean. =P

System Name My Current Desktop
Processor i9 12900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6400 F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 FE
Storage SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2716DGR 27" TN 1440p
Case Fractal Design Torrent White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Bifrost2
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Keychron Q6 (brown)
Software Win 11 Pro
Now I am having a new problem. I can only play for like 2 min before punk buster kicks me off! I have the game patched, and I dont cheat or hack, so what gives?

Mine said duplicate GUID/CD-Key found and punk buster kicks me for 2 mins. WTF i bought it, why would it say that, and i did'nt use EA Downloader, i bought the DVD from Gamestop.

Parashoot

Well I was a little bored tonight and decided to reformat my hard drive because I hadn't done it in a long time and thought I'd see if I had any luck with BF2142 starting from scratch. No luck, game still gives the same disk error, even with no sign of any disk imaging software on my hard drive/registry. This is really frustrating, the game works on my laptop though so I guess I can still play even though my laptop isn't quite as fast.

I really hope EA comes up with a solution to this problem, I'm not going to give them any of my money anymore until they get their shit straight.

tr-606

Well I was a little bored tonight and decided to reformat my hard drive because I hadn't done it in a long time and thought I'd see if I had any luck with BF2142 starting from scratch. No luck, game still gives the same disk error, even with no sign of any disk imaging software on my hard drive/registry. This is really frustrating, the game works on my laptop though so I guess I can still play even though my laptop isn't quite as fast.

I really hope EA comes up with a solution to this problem, I'm not going to give them any of my money anymore until they get their shit straight.

Well I reimaged my system and I found that there were 2 problems.

You were right, MS Update had nothing to do with it.
I had a problem with a release from Silicon Image, they released a Pseudo device driver in early november that was part of the optional updates from MS. This resulted in the disc not being seen correctly in the drive. The system knew a disc was there, but could not identify it. That I believe was the the problem, and then having Alcohol 120 on the system only made it worse because my drive was not supported fully by SafeDisc because they don't like the plextor or pioneer drives. That's only after determining that from all the research I did.

If you have a Silicon Image Raid interface on your motherboard, and virtually everyone does, that update is on there. If you research it, SiL released in on Nov 6th or something. BF2142 runs fine now, after the re-image of course.

I'm done for now, I don't think EA knows about the incompatibility that the SIL Pseudo device controller is causing, or if they do, they know it's not their fault so they say nothing about it.

TR-606

Jimmy 2004

Motherboard ASUS K8N
Case Antec P182
Software Windows XP Home
Lier I tried that and still doesn't work! :banghead:

Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't make someone a liar. Obviously it did work for him and you have a different problem, so that post wasn't particularly constructive. If you have more details of your problem feel free to post and people will probably try and help, but just posting that is unnessicary.

1Strive

System Name Back in Black
Processor AMD Opteron 180 @ 2.6GHz (Dual Core)
Motherboard Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling All Antec Case Fans (3-speed and Quiet as they come.)
Memory 2GB DDR440MHz (Corsair XMS LED Series) 1GB x2 [Dual-Channel]
Video Card(s) 8800GTS G92 512mb (eVGA-745/1000) 9474 in 3Dmark06 at Defaults.
Storage 2 WD 74GB Raptors in RAID Zero for Vista. WD 250GB for XP and Storage
Display(s) Acer 22' widescreen. 1680x1050 res / 5ms
Case Antec Black Server Chassis / Logitec G7 Wireless-Laser Mouse
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Music w/ 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones
Power Supply Antec 500Watt ATX2.0 Modular
Software Vista Ultimate (64-bit) / Playing: Crysis in DX9 on XP @ 1680x1050 High with 30FPS
Benchmark Scores Over 9k in 3DMark06! That's better than 80% of all systems tested and logged according to 3Dmark's s
There are alot of factors to consider w/ any pc game.
(Firewalls, Routers, DHCP Leases = Network Probs)
(DirectX, Drivers, FRAPS, or other Captuer Software = Video Probs)

But it seems to me w/ the BF series starting w/ 2 and now 2142 there are just plain design and coding flaws.

I don't have many complaints about them anymore but this problem sucks. My rank doesn't update now. I close the game and come back in and still the same prob.

I want my unlock and rank!

Whatever it is still one of the best games out right now.

EDIT: I just went onto anouther ranked server and got some kills and it permoted me. So no problem now.
Later,
1STRIVE

Last edited:
System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Well I have been pretty lucky all in all with the BF series, but I am getting a Visual Runtime error after about 3 or 4 rounds.It only happens in between rounds.
I have searched this thread for help before I posted but did not see any similar problem.
Has anyone heard of this?

jm322006

If youre open to unorthodox solutions, this has always worked for me with games that dont mix well with emulation software.

1. using your preferred alcohol version create an .mds image of the entire cd. this is important . if youre havin the sort of errors u r gettin , its the only way it will work. ok now u have your bf2142.mds image.

2. I use daemon tools to mount my images, but if you have something else thats known to be reliable, go for it. anyhow, mount ur giant bf2142.mds image you just created .

3. heres where the unorthodox comes into play . especially with this game. theres days where i use one in the morning, and at night theother method works, lol. first off , go ahead andt try to play and see what happens , hell , it might just work. mor ethen likely youll get oneof the following errors .

the "emulation software detected" error - if you get this, disable all your cd drives, and
the game should start fine. bf2142 is the only
game ive ever had to do this with.

the "incorrect cd in drive" error - if you get this , lol, this ones funny,but it works, just
put any cd rom into ur drive and try again, it should
work.

if i remember anything else , ill edit this to update. ifu stil cant get it le tme know. remember bro , the majority of the population are of average intelligence. ea employees are no exception. theres always a way. dont let software another man created get in your way , lol. ill check back .

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Impact
Cooling 2x120mm fans, 1x140mm fan, 1x240mm radiator, 1x140mm radiator, XSPC Water Cooling Pump
Memory 16gb Corsair Dominator Series 2400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX R9 295x2
Storage 1x500gb Crucial SSD
Case Corsair 250D
Power Supply Seasonic 1200w Platinum
well I hope the game is good. After this thread I'm rethinking my decision. I might end up picking it up today.

System Name My Current Desktop
Processor i9 12900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6400 F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 FE
Storage SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2716DGR 27" TN 1440p
Case Fractal Design Torrent White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Bifrost2
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Keychron Q6 (brown)
Software Win 11 Pro
patched ok for me, game runs smooth on med setting on my x800 pro, will run great on my 8800gts machine once its done.

still seem to be having issues where the character seems to switch between running and walking rapidly when there is heavy cpu usage. (i.e. full 64 man server). im not sure its if just in insufficient CPU power from my p4 2.53GHz, if it is i don't care i got an E6600 Core2 waiting to be mounted.

SlickVic

hey, its me agian, i been trying to tackle the problem for quite some time. i fixed the patch fix and it seems to be updating my rank. i have another problem. even before i install 1.1, i started to realize that game seemed to be lagging randomly. i would play and it would run smooth but every couple seconds the game would lag even if iam in a 1 player room and very low ping. it never did this before and i havent changed my video settings or anything. i always disable norton like i always do and i thought be updating oto 1.1 would fix it. but it didnt. i dont kno wat it could be, and it sould'nt be the video settings cuz before it worked fined and the settigs are untouched. i tryed palying in single player and it workds fine. i thought it might be my connection but i have no idea what exactly. can anyone help me plz?

ktr

hey, its me agian, i been trying to tackle the problem for quite some time. i fixed the patch fix and it seems to be updating my rank. i have another problem. even before i install 1.1, i started to realize that game seemed to be lagging randomly. i would play and it would run smooth but every couple seconds the game would lag even if iam in a 1 player room and very low ping. it never did this before and i havent changed my video settings or anything. i always disable norton like i always do and i thought be updating oto 1.1 would fix it. but it didnt. i dont kno wat it could be, and it sould'nt be the video settings cuz before it worked fined and the settigs are untouched. i tryed palying in single player and it workds fine. i thought it might be my connection but i have no idea what exactly. can anyone help me plz?

whats tha specs mang! :nutkick:

Parashoot

Well as of the 1.10 patch yesterday my game works again. I installed the 1.10 patch, then installed the safedisc hotfix again and now it works, not sure why, but I'm not complaining.

SlickVic

hey man, heres the specs, they are untouched, when they game ran good it was the same as now, the problem started to accur before the new patch. wierd, it only does it online. not on 1st player. i lowered everything and still does it online, idk if its my connection. cant find out wat it could be. let me kno if anyhting. thanks

Attachments

• PC Specs.JPG
    PC Specs.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 623

FroGG

its not working, help!!!!!!

i just got this game, put it in then it comes up with this message that says

D:\ is not a valid Win32 application.

do i need some sort of patch?

i cant even get the game to open!!! :(