• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Biden Administration to Revive Trump-Era Tariffs on China-made GPUs and Motherboards

There are many reports with video that show Chinese EVs are actually fire hazards.

All Li-ion are made of flamable material. With the property where when struck by a large impact shorts out internal leads, leading to an incredible increase of internal temperature.

It doesn't matter if you're Samsung (Galaxy), highly-reputable Japanese/Panasonic Li-ion or dirt-cheap Chinese Li-ion, all Li-ion has this problem. Now different manufacturers can mitigate the problem... but **fundamentally** the issue is that we have a highly powerful spark-generator / source of electricity hooked up to extremely flammable electrolyte.

LiFePo4 (which China has heavily invested into) is harder to burn, but its still flammable. Just not "as" flammable.

That's why Toyota is waiting for Solid State batteries, because they think that the safety / overheating / fire issue is solved when you build a battery out of non-flammable ceramics rather than out of... flammable parts and flammable chemistry. We will see in 2 or 3 years. Toyota is supposed to come out with a production vehicle with Solid State Battery tech in 2025 and ramp up production into 2026.

Ford is also investing into solid state batteries, but is on a 2030-ish timescale instead.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Certainly not the number of times Chinese EVs have caught fire. There is even video of one in a showroom catching on fire.
Ok you should stop posting from ignorance. EV's catch fire just like gas cars, except at 1/10th the rate. That means Chinese, Korean, European, and American. Stop being racists.

System Name Very old, but all I've got ®
Processor So old, you don't wanna know... Really!
Certainly not the number of times Chinese EVs have caught fire. There is even video of one in a showroom catching on fire.
The population of China, is about twice as much, as US, CA, and EU combined. Surely they have more fails. The total amount of failures of more produced good is always more, even if it has overall relatively low failure percentage.

Of course, the cheaper/worse quality come into a play. But so does a quality of US and EU cars as well. Even ICE engines can explode more frequently in the recent times, due to stupid restriction being imposed upon every car maker.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
Ok you should stop posting from ignorance. EV's catch fire just like gas cars, except at 1/10th the rate. That means Chinese, Korean, European, and American. Stop being racists.
It is not about racism but the way China cuts corners in technology. How many of us actually bought electronics from Walmart more than once. Even their new Carrier is a copy of the Gerald Ford class that is a shadow of that monster.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
It is not about racism but the way China cuts corners in technology. How many of us actually bought electronics from Walmart more than once. Even their new Carrier is a copy of the Gerald Ford class that is a shadow of that monster.
Lmao, you're just full of woke prejudice.

iPhone is Chinese made dude.

The military discussion is weird. The Chinese carrier looks like crap as you mentioned, but China likely reached Hypersonic missiles first. Which is actually the solution to the Carrier problem.

Hypersonic Missiles are really expensive, like $10million to $100million each. But it's worth it if those take out a $10 Billion US Supercarrier.

No one knows how good Chinese Hypersonic vs Aegis Missile Shield is. Literally no one. Not even US generals or Chinese generals. What we do know is that China has a reasonable plan vs Carriers though.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.

The military discussion is weird. The Chinese carrier looks like crap as you mentioned, but China likely reached Hypersonic missiles first. Which is actually the solution to the Carrier problem.

Hypersonic Missiles are really expensive, like $10million to $100million each. But it's worth it if those take out a $10 Billion US Supercarrier.

No one knows how good Chinese Hypersonic vs Aegis Missile Shield is. Literally no one. Not even US generals or Chinese generals. What we do know is that China has a reasonable plan vs Carriers though.
(sailing back on topic) Sooner or later the Carriers are going to need onboard lasers guided by Nvidia GPU's. Tariffs might make that more expensive in the short term.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510

To Apple's exact spec and up to 16 hrs a day for 7 days a week for each worker. Do you know what the term Tofu Dreg means? Even today the Chinese are guilty of placing water in their ICBMs and selling the fuel. We will see in the coming months just how good Chinese equipment is as they are now directly supplying Ukraine. They have been guilty since 1990 of Industrial and Military espionage against the West. I guess you did not read any of the Snodden papers.

If you think that a US Carrier group is that weak you would forget why they are there in the first place. It was China that shot Missiles everyday when at Taiwan won a Democratic election in 1976. Yep the US has had a Carrier group to stop Chinese aggression since that time and as someone who's father worked in the Military Industrial Complex I can tell you that we in the commercial world have no idea what that entity creates for War and if you don't think they have been working on a solution to Hypersonic. The US already has working laser weaponry anyway making any fossil fuel based system inert.

By the way nothing is as expensive as American Military production in today's World.

Yay, at least the US will get a taste of what we here (in EU) had to deal with for ages. The 999 dollar 4080 is... NOT 1000 here. Its 1250-1500. Tax and all. I was always jealous of how Americans got cards for 600-800 bucks. I had to pay much much more than that for a 3070-80 here. Who knows, maybe Americans will start gettin jealous of our 1200 Euro RTX 5070ti? ;p

Yea, im a bit salty as you can see. It's not just the dollar to euro either. Some taxes are brutal, as i have mentioned. The stores love to add 15-30( YES 30!!!)% extra on top of the price too. That's how you get a 2500 euro 4090. Anyways, this is just bad news for the US consumers. I dunno if anything would change in the bigger picture. All I know is, the era of cheap electronics seems to be over. I guess whatever GPU/PC i buy will have to last me at least 5-6 years. God knows i won't be buying a new video card every single generation or even every 2-3 one.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Yay, at least the US will get a taste of what we here (in EU) had to deal with for ages. The 999 dollar 4080 is... NOT 1000 here. Its 1250-1500. Tax and all. I was always jealous of how Americans got cards for 600-800 bucks. I had to pay much much more than that for a 3070-80 here. Who knows, maybe Americans will start gettin jealous of our 1200 Euro RTX 5070ti? ;p

Yea, im a bit salty as you can see. It's not just the dollar to euro either. Some taxes are brutal, as i have mentioned. The stores love to add 15-30( YES 30!!!)% extra on top of the price too. That's how you get a 2500 euro 4090. Anyways, this is just bad news for the US consumers. I dunno if anything would change in the bigger picture. All I know is, the era of cheap electronics seems to be over. I guess whatever GPU/PC i buy will have to last me at least 5-6 years. God knows i won't be buying a new video card every single generation or even every 2-3 one.

A $1,000 card isn't $1,000 here in the US either. We don't have a VAT like you do but we do have a sales tax. It varies depending on where you live but for me it's 9.25% so when I buy a card listed for $1,000 I actually pay $1,092

tbh there's no getting around the taxes no matter where you live in the world. We all have to pay it one way or another.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
How? There's nothing that prevents any country from being a bad actor. Show me at least a single example. China already supplies their "northern" neighbor with a full stack of different µ-electronics, as much as full stack of lethal weaponry, and personnel. The global "peacemaker" authorities and countries are just showing their "worriness".

That's easy, North Korea. Just look at the difference in economies between North and South Korea. That's the difference that economic isolation makes. It becomes increasingly hard to develop an advanced economy without worldwide partners as products and supply chains increase in complexity.

But it didn't accelerate them to return the production back home. Everyone is so patriotic, until it comes to their sweet margins. And the governments that supposed to question these companies for their "antipatrionic" behavior, simply allow that, by descending the expences on their own citizen, leaving the companies with all profits they can have, for sweet lobbying "funding".

Read my comment, I never said anything about home. I said anywhere but China.

China could do that, because they are planetary scale factory. US and EU gave up their production abilities more than fourty years ago. The EU is anemic consumer now. Most things that they have, still come from the "cheapest" eastern european countries, including the wood (that is banned for cut in "progressive" countries) and food.
Also, for how long, the companies like VAG and GM did produce the cars for Chinese domestic market, again? There's no way, that the "experience" didn't find it's implementation in own car production.

You seem to be confusing China's production capability now with when it first started. If you look at Shenzen before massive industrialization, it was just a rundown fishing village with no infrastructure. China imposed very high tariffs on foreign goods when it was just starting off and lowered them as their domestic industries advanced. As I said in my prior comment, this is nothing unique to China. It's a common pattern of advancement for third world countries and a reason why 1st world countries accept the higher tariffs.

It's not unique to China as you are implying here and it has nothing to do with their factory count or product output. It's something that the vast majority of successful developing nations have deployed.

It's objectively incorrect to say the US gave up manufacturing output. The US's manufacturing out has continued to increase on average ever since it first started being measured:

1716611705671.jpeg

Similar to the transition from an agricultural based economy, a services based economy looses jobs in the manufacturing industry but output continues to increase. The agriculture and manufacturing sector are supporting pillars for a services based economy that allows for the creation of a ton of high value jobs. As I pointed out in my last comment, 98% of all employment in the UK is in the services industry. That's not a bad thing, that means that manufacturing and agriculture has become very efficient to support all those services jobs.

That's just pure coincedence, that some "blue" company gobbled the absolute part of it, just to later build and upgrade own foundries, used for production of own products, all across the globe.

Intel has thus far been granted $8 billion in CHIPS act funding out of the total $280 Billion. That's not much higher than others like TSMC that have roughly received 6.4 billion. These companies may be granted more in the future but to say they've "gobbled the absolute part of it" is completely incorrect, they gotten exactly 2.8%.

They also manufacture a lot of medicine. Good luck getting cheap generics if they decide to retaliate with increased drug pricing and any US policy against them will not withstand the backlash of citizens not being able to get their meds if China flexes this advantage especially during an election season. (sorry I was in the mood for run on sentences today)

China accounts for 31.5% of US drug imports with India being number 2 and a bunch of others coming in after that. The supply chain is diversified enough to withstand china pulling it's drug exports to the US as they are some 12 other exporters the US already does business with. Worst of all for China is that it's geopolitical competitor india would likely pick up a lot of those previously Chinese orders.

Most generic drugs are not complicated to make. There might be a shortage of more complicated formulas but the basics without a doubt will be covered by competitors to China.

The EV have the another level problem. Because the huge amount of the electronic components still being made solely in China. Once they decide to stop export, many electronic factories of the west, if not go bust, at least will have to halt the production, until the local alternatives would catch up.

No country produces EVs without foreign parts regardless of if we are talking about China or the US. Ditto goes for ICUs as well, they all contain chips.

And maybe the electric crisis isn't very much affects the US (outside AI surge), due to abundance of nuclear power. The EU on the other hand, still has to rely on coal and other fosile sources of enery to charge the "eco-friendly" vehicles. An irony indeed.

This comment is wrong on multiple fronts. First the US only gets 18.93% of it's power from Nuclear. The lion's share comes from Fossil fuels.

Second, the EU produces the vast majority of it's energy from renewables:

1716614039288.png

If we suddenly came out to a war between our nations, China's manufacturing advantage would be key in the early days. It will take years for USA to ramp up and build our own factories, while the Chinese factories would immediately switch from peacetime Li-ions for phones/games into wartime Li-ions for Drones and other weaponry.

China cannot produce Drones and phones entirely domestically yet, it requires outside parts. Manufacturing consumer goods doesn't necessarily translate to manufacturing weapons either. The US arms manufacturing industry never really slowed down, it has been the number 1 arms dealer in the world for some time now. Ukraine has help clear out old stock to make way for additional production as well. At the end of the day the US has the weapons now and has proven experience making these arms. The Chinese have numerous scandals involving weapons production issues due to corruption. I know which I'd favor, the guaranteed factor over a bunch of ifs / maybes.

There's a bigger problem for China though and that's down to the fact that it's highly rely reliant on energy imports. It imports 85% of it's total domestic oil consumption and 40% of it's domestic gas consumption. It also imports coal from Australia and Indonesia. The problem comes down to a matter of supply lines, where the oil imports have to pass through the Bab-el-Mandeb straight, along the bottom of india, and finally to China. The problem is that there are multiple US bases and US allies located along that route. Imports from Indonesia would suddenly become very difficult and obviously imports from Australia would completely stop.

Mind you a protracted war is absolutely not in China's best interest. China is likely to be fighting a US led coalition with South Korea, Japan, Australia, and likely other European allies as well. China's economy will loose access to the international banking system and most if not all external investment sources.

You mean like those hypersonic Russian missiles that were taken down by antiquated Patriot systems in Ukraine with novice operators? As the old saying goes, everyone has a plan until the shit hits the fan. The US has real world experience, the Chinese are experts in attacking fishing vessels with water cannons. Big difference.

You mean like those hypersonic Russian missiles that were taken down by antiquated Patriot systems in Ukraine with novice operators? As the old saying goes, everyone has a plan until the shit hits the fan. The US has real world experience, the Chinese are experts in attacking fishing vessels with water cannons. Big difference.

At $100 million per missile but $10 Billion in damages if that missile hits (and sinks) a carrier... China can easily afford to launch 10x missiles at the same time, to overwhelm our missile defenses.

Yes, USA's missile defenses on our Navy is likely the best in the world. Certainly the best on sea (though Israel might beat us with their Iron Dome). But missiles don't work alone, they fight as a team... and its just as easy as launching at the same time that can completely dismantle defenses in practice.

China isn't going to lob those missiles one at a time like some game of video game... If China truly begins to fight... they'll be going for the kill.

Ukraine is a very different situation. There's no $10 Billion targets in Ukraine like a US Gerald Ford Supercarrier full full airwing armaments. Russia has no reason to spam extremely expensive hypersonic missiles there aside from propaganda purposes. (Cheaper missiles and glide bombs handle that area better). In contrast, the USA's Navy structure is fully built around our carriers. It would be a devastating blow to lose even one of our carriers.

China cannot produce Drones and phones entirely domestically yet, it requires outside parts. Manufacturing consumer goods doesn't necessarily translate to manufacturing weapons either. The US arms manufacturing industry never really slowed down, it has been the number 1 arms dealer in the world for some time now. Ukraine has help clear out old stock to make way for additional production as well. At the end of the day the US has the weapons now and has proven experience making these arms. The Chinese have numerous scandals involving weapons production issues due to corruption. I know which I'd favor, the guaranteed factor over a bunch of ifs / maybes.

Fully Chinese DJI drones are literally being used by both the Ukrainians and the Russians in the current war over there. China's already mass producing drones domestically that have military applications.

I mean hell, Iran is making fully domestic drones today. Drone technology is surprisingly low-tech and easy to do. China has huge benefits over Iran (including 7nm chips, wide variety of advanced senosrs, Li-ion batteries, large scale plastics, and is the hub of cheap manufacturing).

USA's military has highlighted our weakening manufacturing center to be a possible weakness moving forward. In particular, our chip supply is largely tied up in Taiwan, which... would likely be cutoff or hampered during a hypothetical war in the region.

Now, I think USA's anti-air guns will make short-work of drones in particular. But Ukraine has proven how cheaply-and-easily DJI drones can be converted into a military suicide bomber. Just strap a mortar on any ol' DJI drone and bam, its a deadly weapon. AA Guns aren't perfect either, the operators could fall asleep at the wheel or miss a target, or think that the enemy drones are a bird or something and fail to fire in time.

Last edited:
System Name Katzi
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S Pro AX 1.1
Cooling Phanteks Glacier 360
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16-16GTZNC (Dual Rank 32Gb)
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080
Storage Samsung SSD 980 1TB, 970 512GB Evo Plus, 1TB 870 QVO, 960 Pro
Display(s) AOC CQ27G2
Case NZXT H6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X3
Power Supply Corsair RMx850
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus & Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Keychron V2 translucent, Gateron Ink Black Silent, lubed & filmed.
Not as awesome as getting rid of trade with this country all together but I'll take it.
well, there it is, the dumbest take i've seen on the internet today.

System Name Homebase
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S UD
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 RGB
Memory 2*16 Kingston Fury DDR4-3600 double ranked
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 16 GB
Storage 1*512 WD Red SN700, 1*2TB Curcial P5, 1*2TB Sandisk Plus (TLC), 1*14TB Toshiba MG
Display(s) Philips E-line 275E1S
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Power Supply Corsair RM850 2019
Mouse Sharkoon Sharkforce Pro
Keyboard Fujitsu KB955
System Name Very old, but all I've got ®
Processor So old, you don't wanna know... Really!
No country produces EVs without foreign parts regardless of if we are talking about China or the US. Ditto goes for ICUs as well, they all contain chips.
If it's a known issue, and the govs know they are unable to make the stuff themselves, and are dependant on import technology. Then slapping the taxes on such things is just outright crime, as it's clear, no one will take a lesson from this, and won't start domestic production of required parts.
That's easy, North Korea.
I meant not Korea. There's another country, that is highly favorable by global leaders, and which still having big business, with big corporations and governments all over the globe.
Read my comment, I never said anything about home. I said anywhere but China.
That's the point. No matter where the companies outsource their production, it wil easillyl become a threat, unless it will return in-house. Much like the supply lines. So again, the point of imposing tarrifs, when they do not result in growing in-house manufacturing, and suppy independance, is moot. And even deceitful, as it only hurt the consumers, and their buying ability, and ability to purchase the hardware, required for their work/hobby etc. If people will stop buying, or even buy less of products, then the less taxes will be received, thus the government's incentive to increase domestic production will fall short, as there would be no budget to do so.

I mean, for example nVidia. It's about to become three trirrion bucks company, pretty soon. Everyone and their dog knows, that all their business is outsourced. They have not a single domestic foundry, heck not a single one. This is house of cards. Once the supply lines are threatened or ceased, the entire bubble is gone. Nvidia won't be able to make the chips domestically. It won't happen anytime soon. And they won't do that because it would mean higher production, and thus lower margins.
And nVidia is US company, with huge amount of taxes being paid, how it is beneficial for US economics, and every particular citizen after all? And with all these money, yet no one did anything to secure the positions of US company. Because this is private business, and the gov doesn't give a single f about it, except for taking tax and lobbying and money. Much like shareholders don't give a sh*t about both national security, and economic growth.

Then it must stop pretending, and inventing reasons, akin "security", or production independence. These tarrifs aid none of them. China doesn't need to export their electronics with spying chips, because the evectronics designed and made by US companies, already consist the loopholes, demanded by "particular" entities, in order to being produced at all. And since everything is connected (IoT is great thing, isn't it), what stops the China, or Russia, to use their homegrown or hired "specialists' to hack any device. Especially when these are outsourced to the China itself?
And the national economics has no corporate interest as well, because they matter only their own economy and own profits. They don't care about will it impede the country's defence, etc. They value money, and nothing else.

A lot of false claims and hypocrisy in these tarrifs.

You seem to be confusing China's production capability now with when it first started. If you look at Shenzen before massive industrialization, it was just a rundown fishing village with no infrastructure. China imposed very high tariffs on foreign goods when it was just starting off and lowered them as their domestic industries advanced. As I said in my prior comment, this is nothing unique to China. It's a common pattern of advancement for third world countries and a reason why 1st world countries accept the higher tariffs.

It's not unique to China as you are implying here and it has nothing to do with their factory count or product output. It's something that the vast majority of successful developing nations have deployed.

It's objectively incorrect to say the US gave up manufacturing output. The US's manufacturing out has continued to increase on average ever since it first started being measured:

1716611705671.jpeg

Similar to the transition from an agricultural based economy, a services based economy looses jobs in the manufacturing industry but output continues to increase. The agriculture and manufacturing sector are supporting pillars for a services based economy that allows for the creation of a ton of high value jobs. As I pointed out in my last comment, 98% of all employment in the UK is in the services industry. That's not a bad thing, that means that manufacturing and agriculture has become very efficient to support all those services jobs.
I meant US partly gave up their production. But stuff still produced mostly for domestic use. And it's still reliant on foreign export. And EU even is heavilly dependant on imported resources, which they either do not have, or do not extract due to policies. That's why they will bend before "biggest exporter".

As about agricultural economy. You see, there are a lot of countries, that gave up their farming, in favor of "services", or industry. So they they are dependable on good faith and favorable conditions. Once the sh*t have hit the fan, they all endured the lack of food, and the prices went sky high. What's good of having one sided economy, with no divercity to support it, and prevent critical situations. Nobody did any conclusions.

In current global circuimstances, each country has to have at least minimal required capabilities to support own survival. What's benefit of industry, and "services" if there's nothing to feed the population with. As each country tries to reserve as much of global resources, eventually many less wealthy ones will fall short in their efforts. Global economy is only good in theory, when there's no bad actors, and nobody tries to usurp the entirety of resources. This is the point of of it, to make everyone dependable, so no one brings the bad attitude to the room. But reality is different, and there are plenty of dominant countries, try to extract as much own favor, at the expence of less "lucky" ones.
Countries must invest in own survivability, not into some private corporate business.

At $100 million per missile but $10 Billion in damages if that missile hits (and sinks) a carrier... China can easily afford to launch 10x missiles at the same time, to overwhelm our missile defenses.
No they can't.

No one can with hypersonics. Much less "hypersonics" that Russia and China have.* They're too expensive and slow to produce.

Russia has done waves of them at limited Patriot batteries with some NASAMS and whatever Cold War era stuff they could cobble together within Ukraine in conjunction with more typical cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, and cheap drones which is probably about how it'd go vs China and even then their hit rates aren't that good vs stationary buildings.

I'm not suggesting that they're 0% risk here but you're basically buying into Chinese propaganda if you think they're going to work any better than the Russian stuff they copied.

But missiles don't work alone, they fight as a team... and its just as easy as launching at the same time that can completely dismantle defenses in practice.
Missile defense also won't work alone for a carrier group and is anything but easy to dismantle.

The main issue with US carrier AD is the expense and slow manufacture time of the missiles would mean they would get used up quickly in a hot war with a peer/near peer power but the effectiveness while they have missiles to shoot is going to be incredibly high.

It should be noted however that the same issue applies, but more so, to hypersonics or even "hypersonics". They're one of the most cost prohibitive and slow to produce weapon systems out there.
USA's military has highlighted our weakening manufacturing center to be a possible weakness moving forward. In particular, our chip supply is largely tied up in Taiwan, which... would likely be cutoff or hampered during a hypothetical war in the region.
Which is why for critical parts fabs and associated factories started construction in the US years ago and are finishing up soon.

For other parts the US manufacturing is actually quite solid and quite a lot can and is made domestically.
Now, I think USA's anti-air guns will make short-work of drones in particular. But Ukraine has proven how cheaply-and-easily DJI drones can be converted into a military suicide bomber. Just strap a mortar on any ol' DJI drone and bam, its a deadly weapon. AA Guns aren't perfect either, the operators could fall asleep at the wheel or miss a target, or think that the enemy drones are a bird or something and fail to fire in time.
The issue with AA auto cannon is that they're short ranged (typically a few km for 30-40mm guns which is what most are using), and therefore you need to buy heaps and heaps of them to put everywhere, not effectiveness.

They're VERY effective within their range. They're even good against missiles believe it or not. Especially with modern fused explosive ammo that makes them perform more like long ranged shotguns. Skynex for instance is supposed to be able to shoot down most missiles within 30 shots for instance. Its already been demonstrated and used in Ukraine so this isn't some baseless claim either

The US and various other countries started programs to produce and mass buy various auto cannons for anti drone work back in 2021-2022. The development is basically done now its just building, buying, and fielding the equipment and that started to happen around late 2023 or so depending on the country you want to talk about.

*China's and Russians hypersonic missiles are effectively just modified Iskander ballistic missile fired from aircraft at high speeds from longer ranges to achieve sort've hypersonic speed when going in a straight line. Or just straight up intermediate range large scale ballistic missiles that have conventional warheads but a fast hypersonic re-entry....which is typical for such missiles anyways. Those would get shot down by something like a MIM-104C PAC-2 or PAC-3.

Again they're dangerous but they're way Way WAY overhyped and fall within currently designed and fielded AD threat profiles. The truly scary hypersonic stuff that everyone was worried about, and what Russia/China were claiming they had, is something that can close AND maneuver at hypersonic speeds at low altitudes. Which NOBODY has working properly right now. NOBODY. Kinzhal and its Chinese clones have to slow to maneuver which is why they get shot down by Patriot and even NASAMS (which uses older missiles with modern guidance).

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
It will force US companies to build manufacturing at home, as well as increasing prices in our country.

But us being in control of more manufacturing / factories is a good thing, even if it costs us more. Especially as we come up to geopolitical concerns regarding China.
Alot of those factories will most likely relocated to Mexico. Labor cost in the US is still very high.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
If you think that a US Carrier group is that weak you would forget why they are there in the first place. It was China that shot Missiles everyday when at Taiwan won a Democratic election in 1976. Yep the US has had a Carrier group to stop Chinese aggression since that time and as someone who's father worked in the Military Industrial Complex I can tell you that we in the commercial world have no idea what that entity creates for War and if you don't think they have been working on a solution to Hypersonic. The US already has working laser weaponry anyway making any fossil fuel based system inert.

By the way nothing is as expensive as American Military production in today's World.

The issue with this is that you and oh so many others tend to for some reason not understand that 50+year old events are not that relevant nowadays. You all seem to be stuck with the idea of China then as opposed to China now and ignoring the growth it went through, as well as the raw numbers.
They have litteral home turf advantage in everything while USA would have to haul over Pacific, their fleet is large and getting larger faster - and the individual ships doesn't have to be better, they just have to be good enough.
Also that laser weaponry de facto might as well not exist right now, nothing has ever moved past single test deployments and none of those were against ballistic missiles.

As for the expensive American military production - it's called going in dry with no lube. All the big ones like Boeing, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman etc. are ripping 'Murica off (and European ones are honestly the same). Military shit IS way overpriced and if you make anti-air missiles costing 1 million each you are a fool and I am putting it mildly.
Let's pay 5-8k for a single dumb artillery shell, oh what joy! Oh, or maybe tanks for 20 million each! Sure looks good on that GDP table though...

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
The issue with this is that you and oh so many others tend to for some reason not understand that 50+year old events are not that relevant nowadays. You all seem to be stuck with the idea of China then as opposed to China now and ignoring the growth it went through, as well as the raw numbers.
They have litteral home turf advantage in everything while USA would have to haul over Pacific, their fleet is large and getting larger faster - and the individual ships doesn't have to be better, they just have to be good enough.
Also that laser weaponry de facto might as well not exist right now, nothing has ever moved past single test deployments and none of those were against ballistic missiles.

As for the expensive American military production - it's called going in dry with no lube. All the big ones like Boeing, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman etc. are ripping 'Murica off (and European ones are honestly the same). Military shit IS way overpriced and if you make anti-air missiles costing 1 million each you are a fool and I am putting it mildly.
Let's pay 5-8k for a single dumb artillery shell, oh what joy! Oh, or maybe tanks for 20 million each! Sure looks good on that GDP table though...
Not that relevant? The only reason China is who it is today is because of decisions made for economic and social reasons that are entirely on display in the US political scene. I am not saying that you are wrong in your assessment of the Complex either. I am pretty sure they have blood on their hands. The US is not alone in the Pacific though. Let's remember that Australia now has a fleet of American Nuclear Subs, Japan is using F35s on their brand new Carrier and Vietnam are openly supporting the US over China. China may have improved technology but they wasted Billions with a capital B, building fake cities and trying to recreate the silk road. There is also the fact that a Democrat won the latest Taiwan election and the Chinese reacted by surrounding the island, leading to mass protests in Taiwan of elements of the Govt that are sympathetic to China. It will be the response that leaks out about how the Govt in China deals with it's own mass protests that should tell us if they are any different than 50+ years ago.

Now the US has generally turned off the tap in some cases for reasons they do not control like the Panama Canal drying up. There are reports of runs on Chinese banks and markets that were engaged in serious trade are empty. I even read something about Foxconn issuing massive lay offs. The truth is China needs USA more than USA needs China. From 1940-1980 America was the strongest economy in the World. Even though China thanks to US firms like Apple and Walmart has become number 2 with US manufacturing jobs they are still the number one economy.

As far as the Lube argument goes. America was happy to give away it's commercial manufacturing but spent even more on Military Manufacturing. One reflection from what you are talking about is Corporate greed bringing Boeing from one of the Stars of the American technology revolution to a pariah for taking Aviation safety beneath greed in their Calculus. There are some things that have come out of that same entity that have made a huge difference like Himars, Bradley, Javelin and GPS in Ukraine.

You all seem to be stuck with the idea of China then as opposed to China now and ignoring the growth it went through, as well as the raw numbers.
Everyone acknowledges that China went through tons of growth and the US military sees the PLA as a peer/near peer threat which is pretty serious so you're factually incorrect here.
The home turf advantage they'd have is real and a big deal but US military logistics is second to none too. The US also has multiple bases around the area as well to supply and operate out of which you seem to have some amnesia about.

Many of the SEA countries aren't too thrilled with the US, for many good reasons, but China has THOROUGHLY pissed them off to over the last 10yr or so and they're quite willing to help the US supply if things got hot since they KNOW China will massively screw them if given the chance.
Google Iron Beam, DragonFire, and DE M-SHORAD.

Those are all either currently operational and fielded or soon to be as of right now.

Supposedly the naval version of Iron Beam will out put a 100KW laser per the Isreali 2023 news release and the ships that they're going into are going to be up and running in 3-5yr.

Around 100KW, depending on how long it fires/pulses per second, shooting down large missiles becomes practical. 200-300KW is when shooting down even the real fancy high end missiles, including hypersonics, that have some sort of anti laser tech or evasion methods gets practical. Supposedly around 1MW lasers can start to knock out ballistic missiles, or re-entry vehicles/warheads, in space.

The bigger issue with lasers is they're short range. Typically 5-10KM is the range given for what is out there right now. That and they suck down power like you won't believe! So the actual laser unit itself is fairly small and truck mountable but you need a BIG generator or 2 (or 3+ if you want 100's of KW) plus a whole bunch of fuel trucks to run them. The other big issue is field endurance. Most don't have long firing times before they need servicing.
Military shit IS way overpriced and if you make anti-air missiles costing 1 million each you are a fool and I am putting it mildly.
EVERYONE's MIC is WAAAAY overpriced for what you get. They're ALL absolutely playing grift games and milking the state for money during peacetime. That is not a nationalistic problem that is a human problem. By all accounts China's MIC is hilariously corrupt and has been for decades! Anytime you put lots of money and power in the hands of a few corruption will spring forth.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

Yes, USA's missile defenses on our Navy is likely the best in the world. Certainly the best on sea (though Israel might beat us with their Iron Dome). But missiles don't work alone, they fight as a team... and its just as easy as launching at the same time that can completely dismantle defenses in practice.

China isn't going to lob those missiles one at a time like some game of video game... If China truly begins to fight... they'll be going for the kill.

It's the same strategy Russia uses in Ukraine. Throw a bunch of missiles at once to overwhelm defenses. The difference is that US aircraft carriers, aside from having their own onboard defenses, travel in a flotilla. The US already equips ships in a flotilla with anti-missile defenses primarily due to the existence of missile destroyers. The US has had missile destroyers since the 1960s and thus has been aware of the threat they post to aircraft carriers for a long long time and equip ships in the flotilla accordingly. The US has a lot of experience in that regard.

In addition, consider that the aircraft carrier will be within protective range of allied missile defense systems as well. Taiwan is literally right next to China and an aircraft carrier stationed there would have excellent reach into China itself. It's completely fine if China hurls all it's expensive, hard to make and slow to produce missiles at once, that will just ensure that after they do they blew one of their strongest strategic pieces at the start.

How many missiles can a flotilla plus Taiwanese defenses take down? This is a good question for the Chinese, if they under-estimate they completely waste every missile they shoot. If they over-estimate they waste $100 million per missile for each over the amount and deplete their stockpile.

It's a brute force amateur strategy, you need to first assess the capability of your opponents and of yourself. Using all your high-value assets without knowing either of those just makes it vastly more likely you'll be inefficient with their use. Once you've done that you knock your opponent off guard and then strike. Firing everything when it's most expected is likely to lead to the least results. China has other problems as well, it needs to finish assessing it's military assets to see how much was impacted by corruption. China has had serious issues with non-functioning, fake, and defective military assets. Confetti missiles don't help them.

Ukraine is a very different situation. There's no $10 Billion targets in Ukraine like a US Gerald Ford Supercarrier full full airwing armaments. Russia has no reason to spam extremely expensive hypersonic missiles there aside from propaganda purposes. (Cheaper missiles and glide bombs handle that area better). In contrast, the USA's Navy structure is fully built around our carriers. It would be a devastating blow to lose even one of our carriers.

Russia has fully deployed Hypersonic missiles in Ukraine, it's just that they can't use make them in numbers you might be imagining due to the difficulty of producing them. There might not be expensive aircraft carriers there but infrastructure is a high value target to Russia. Knocking out power could easily be viewed as more valuable. Something like the destruction of the Kakhova dam is a good example of valuable infrastructure with value that exceeds it's price tag. Russia destroy it to slow down Ukraine's offensive and it was very effective. It massively reduces the front line and allowed Russian to concentrate defenses. Ironically though it wasn't taken out by hypersonic missiles, probably because other means were more effective / cheaper.

DJI drones are cheap but I think the primary problem for them is range, susceptability to jamming / interference, and their top speed.

In regards to range, Ukraine is one continguous piece of land. Any Chinese Taiwanese conflict will involve flying drones over the south China sea to either attack US ships or targets in Taiwan. The problem is Taiwan is located more than 1,968 KM from mainland China, which puts it out of range for high-end military drones. Mind you that's what's called the Air line (shortest distance any two points in each country), the typical distance you'd need a drone to travel to reach the coast is 2,696 km. What this means is, save for a breakthough technology that massively extends their range, China will need to launch drones from their Navy ships or to gain a foothold in Taiwan to have any level of effectiveness. Mind you I don't see China lasting long if it only just gains a foothold in Taiwan due to the geography of Taiwan. Only the west side of Taiwan has suitable beaches for invasion. The back half of the country is mountanous and rocky. This not only provides a back defensive line but makes an excellent location for Taiwanese aircraft to launch attacks from due to the extremely high defensability. Any protracted war would just continue to funnel Chinese ships and troops through a narrow line of attack while the Chinese are also fending off against the US navy and airforce. Any amphibious attack is difficult but particularly when you are attacking a fortified locations and more so when your assault is also being attacked from the sea. D-Day just barely worked and that's considering the Germans thought the attack was going to happen somewhere else.

Jamming is also an issue as the war in Ukraine has shown us. As drones continue to increase in use, so too will the use of jamming. There will be a back and forth depending on who has air superiority and can take out said jammers. The same problems for China above apply here. Taiwanese jammers are likely to be well protected and Chinese ships will have to get close in order to get effective. This makes them vulernable.

The top speed of drones is also a problem. They are faster than land or sea based military assets but any drone carrying a decent sized payload is going to be vastly slower than traditional aircraft, even bombers. Altitude is also an issue, drones can't touch traditional aircraft in that regard either. Drone altitude makes it susceptiable to a whole bunch of different armaments. It's advantageous to fly close to the ground is forested locations but in a battle around the Taiwan straight it just makes you a sitting duck.

As a result of limitations I see drone's being less effective for China than they are for Russia. Completely different battlefields. The world has also seen their effectiveness and without a doubt everyone is incorporating them and also preparing counter-measures.

hey have litteral home turf advantage in everything while USA would have to haul over Pacific, their fleet is large and getting larger faster - and the individual ships doesn't have to be better, they just have to be good enough.

That entire regions is dotted with US bases within immediate response range of Taiwan and that number is only growing. The US would have a large and immediate force to respond with. Any protracted war would see more assets coming in as well.

Laser weapons have a problem in that they can be greatly mitigated by reflective surfaces. That can potentially mess with missile sensors though. If they are used, they will be used strategically. There's also speculation that the Chinese have some level of weapon space capability given Chinese satilites have been caught tailing US satilites. There may be some space element to the conflict but who knows.

It's really not that different in China. The only difference is it's communist party officials pocketing the money and not some big corpa. It's disgusting either way.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I've mostly been skimming so forgive me if this has already been addressed but I don't see how laser weapons could be considered reliable. How could they be relied on when something like weather could foil them? Rain, fog, cloudy days come to mind.