• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOSTAR Extends Ryzen 9 3950X Support to Even its A320 Chipset Motherboards

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
I'm not missing the point at all, sir. I've read your posts... and moved on from them (I mean, you tried to put a TRipper CPU in an AM4 socket for verbal comparison, that was enough to skip by the rest IMO)...

The point of this board is to throw potatos in it and run it, not flagship 16c/32t CPUs. While people CAN use it like you say, chances are you will see throttling when using it to the fullest extent (and perhaps less) WHICH SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE DONE ON ANY BOARD YOU DROP A CPU IN. I don't see the logic in buying a $750 CPU if A - the board throttles or B - you don't UTILIZE (not use) the CPU. So, yeah, I supposed you are right, but, that use case is borderline asinine. Nothing like throwing a $750 flagship CPU that you don't/can't run at its potential into a $50 board...

P.S - I was in D.C Operations, capacity planning, and server admin for over 2 decades (large pharma, large water company, and AWS). Server boards are not potatos. It appears from your posts you like things such as phase count but without knowing the controller, chokes, and MOSFETs are typically of high quality (depends on the board and such). Also, servers have several high RPM fans pumping an arseload of air through the chassis to keep the components cool... this is a 3/4 phase design and shitty budget bits bud. Use your head...

did i say server no, i said Vendor OEM machines, things that come with equipment, say million dollar microscopes or similar devices, thats the purpose of this combanation its really easy to figure this out, if you worked in IT for 20 years you'd know this.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
did i say server no, i said Vendor OEM machines, things that come with equipment, say million dollar microscopes or similar devices, thats the purpose of this combanation its really easy to figure this out, if you worked in IT for 20 years you'd know this.
Stick with me... the point is that it's foolish to throw a flagship CPU into a potato for a mobo. I don't care if a rando member here does it or some ready made OEM box does it. It's stupid (and stupid sells to stupid people).

I worked in pharma, water utility, and AWS... not medical and 'million dollar microscopes'. But now that you mention it, I do recall a PC hooked up to an MRI machine...... sporting a Core2 duo. Let's not talk fringe BS to make a point for the majority, please.

Anyway, the point that seems to be getting lost here is that an most A320 based boards will need, at minimum, a significant amount of airflow over its weak power delivery to support this CPU at full tilt. Again, its asinine to buy this CPU and not utilize (again, not use) it either by running shit that doesn't need 16c/32t (a microscope, LOL) or by the board which throttles it.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
"rock bottom scraping sh!t kind of board".... why because its cheap? or do you actually have reviews saying this board is buggy and prone to breaking?
Because if not you are again just going off price meaning quality even though to try so hard to debunk that later which was btw my point, the "..." was to emphasis the sarcasm.

Don't tell me you honestly believe top-notch parts costs the same as budget ones do and would even sell for the same price - Of course they don't and one big reason why Biostar boards are always the very last left in a category otherwise sold out in places like the egg inspite of also being the cheapest board in said category.
Price is one thing, quality is another and both either sell or leave a piece on the shelf.

Not to mention, I think 50 dollars for a basic motherboard is a pretty darn normal price as well, sure you have them as high as that 1000 dollar X570 Aqua but then you also have those 300 dollar waterblocks.

$50 for a basic, no-frills piece isn't bad at all as long as it does the job and keeps working, however there are limits to what's it's capable of, being it's a budget piece that is.
Drop a 3950x in and I'm sure you'll quickly discover these limitations, at the additional cost of a 3950x chip and hope that's all the additional cost paid.....
RAM sticks, drives, GPU, PSU - May cost you the entire build over trying to stuff a top of the line CPU in said budget board.

I see the price of a waterblock just went up too.
BTW you still have $50 waterblocks perfectly acceptable for running your 2K chip with - Again with the point without a point.

Price =/= quality, it never has been and never will be.
Bullsh!t!

This biostar board is cheap because it uses a cheap chipset and is low on features, no RGB madness on this board to jack up the pricing, that does not mean it wont function perfectly fine with an 3950X on it.
Can you get the most out of this cpu with that board in regards to overclocking potential or massive amounts of fast ram support etc? no, but if that is needed is for the buyer to decide.

Their and your attitude towards what constitutes quality in a product are just off.

Doesn't mean it will work (For long) with a 3950x either, ran at stock or however else.
Not a case of attitude because my attitude has no bearing on the manufacturing process of anything except in a case of actually being the one(s) involved with it's creation.
It is what it is, nothing posted here is gonna change that.

BTW..... Since you act like a Biostar rep, I want my old Biostar TA990FXE replaced with a working unit please.
(Complaint)
Wasn't even 6 months old and all it took to kill it was testing a defective stick of RAM. Same said stick was then tested in my Asus CHV-Z to be sure and it was like "Dude, you've got a bad stick of RAM" and laughed but the Biostar just coudn't handle that so it died.

It was also at the time the cheapest FX-990 board around and only reason I got it was due to budget at the time.... And just to give the name a chance. Used it as a daily with a FX-8320 and that's really about it.... Until it choked on a simply defective stick of RAM and nothing else (End/Complaint).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys, if you pick one up you can try a 3950x in it if you want - It may actually live, maybe not but I do know one thing as an absolute.
Won't be me trying it.
~The end