• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bitcoin price suddenly surges to 3-year high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that seems like total BS. Hackers that were skilled enough to perform the hack, demand ransom, and then just let it sit in COINBASE on US soil.
BS why? Perhaps the perps thought, falsely, that the transaction and coin couldn't be traced and tracked.... Yup...
But the holder (actual person/entity) of that is anonymous, unless they ID themselves in an exchange on us soil.
Incorrect.

No one with sense ever claimed it couldn't be tracked.
Plenty of people have said it. Even some here in this thread... See above...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
BS why? Perhaps the perps thought, falsely, that the transaction and coin couldn't be traced and tracked.... Yup...
They provided their literal state ID to setup the coinbase. No way they were that stupid, IMO.
Incorrect.
Correct, actually. They ID'd themselves at the exchange (supposedly). See above.

Bitcoin is anonymous (until you ID yourself) but totally tracable. And yes there has been massive confusion on that point.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
News flash, if something is traceable/trackable, the user of that something can be identified.
Not if you trace it to a non-named addresss, no. That's not how this works.

Example: if you trace it to an address that was funded by a street transaction, good luck.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
(The below is not directed specifically toward you, but your post makes a decent reference point.)

Let's be careful not conflate "legality" with "morality". They are VERY different, almost entirely separate concepts, even if related by the nature of laws.

Something else useful to remember: in a free state, any action is legal until it is declared illegal by statute, precedent or case law (gigantic oversimplification alert ahoy. Also "free" as opposed to "totalitarian". Not trying to start a debate over whether Nation X is a free state or not).

Agree completely. That was the point I was trying to make. Crypto was designed to be "illegal" or at least "alegal" as in legally agnostic. I was, like you, trying to separate the usual conflation of legality and morality. Crypto is just as valid for use for buying turnips as it for buying drugs and weapons, and indeed there are places where it is used for just that.

That all of course was directed at those who want to say that those using crypto for "illegal" purposes are necessarily using them for "evil" or "bad" purposes. That simply isn't the case.

News flash, if something is traceable/trackable, the user of that something can be identified. Always! There is no hiding on today's internet.

See above..
No. The transactions are traceable and trackable. If no identifying information is provided at either end of the chain, then no, it cannot be tied to a human. That's just not how this works.

Example: if you trace it to an address that was funded by a street transaction, good luck.
I'm talking about IP addresses. Even if you use TOR or another IP jacketing scheme, you can be traced. Any government that wants someone enough WILL find them.

No. The transactions are traceable and trackable. If no identifying information is provided at either end of the chain, then no, it cannot be tied to a human. That's just not how this works.
That is an illusion.

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm talking about IP addresses. Even if you use TOR or another IP jacketing scheme, you can be traced. Any government that wants someone enough WILL find them.

That is an illusion.
Blockchain transactions do not require IP addresses at all.

Edit: no, it's not an illusion

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ok, keep telling yourself that. If you connect to the internet, you can be tracked. It IS that simple...
What if I told you I can obtain crypto and make a crypto transaction without ever having an internet connection myself?

(spoiler, I can.)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
We are arguing technicalities vs practicalities.

Yes, if the government wants you bad enough, there are tools to get you.

No, the tech here needn't absolutely be one of those tools.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
lex is basally a bitcoin troll.. he has his own reasons for not liking it or crypto in general..

its impossible to convince those who dont want convincing.. the debate makes painful and time wasting reading.. he is entitled to his own oppinion.. its the people who keep trying to change it that are at fault.. :)

trog

Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Mouse Logitech G502
lex is basally a bitcoin troll.. he has his own reasons for not liking it or crypto in general..

its impossible to convince those who dont want convincing.. the debate makes painful and time wasting reading.. he is entitled to his own oppinion.. its the people who keep trying to change it that are at fault.. :)

trog

Willful ignorance and refusing to accept reality when presented with indisputable facts is not an opinion. It is a Troll, sorta like flat earthers.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots

Willful ignorance and refusing to accept reality when presented with indisputable facts is not an opinion. It is a Troll, sorta like flat earthers.

Honestly guys, how much do you think you know? You sound like kids to me. You think it's safe because you got into some self-reinforcing feedback loop somewhere and convinced yourself that it's safe.

Do you even know what Blockchain is? I'll tell you, it's a database, one that records every transaction ever done on every bitcoin ever created.

Think Tor is one way to be safe? Think again :

Bitcoin? Nah :

"Among the first researchers to find a crack in the wall were the husband-and-wife team of Philip and Diana Koshy. In 2014, as graduate students in McDaniel’s lab at Penn State, they built their own version of the software that buyers and sellers use to take part in the Bitcoin network. It was especially designed to be inefficient, downloading a copy of every single packet of data transmitted by every computer in the Bitcoin network. “We wanted to see everything,” Philip Koshy says.

If the data flowing through the network were perfectly coordinated, with everyone’s computer sending and receiving data as frequently as the rest, then it might be impossible to link Bitcoin addresses with IP addresses. But there is no top-down coordination of the Bitcoin network, and its flow is far from perfect. The Koshys noticed that sometimes a computer sent out information about only one transaction, meaning that the person at that IP address was the owner of that Bitcoin address. And sometimes a surge of transactions came from a single IP address—probably when the user was upgrading his or her Bitcoin client software. Those transactions held the key to a whole backlog of their Bitcoin addresses. Like unraveling a ball of string, once the Koshys isolated some of the addresses, others followed.

Ultimately, they were able to map IP addresses to more than 1000 Bitcoin addresses; they published their findings in the proceedings of an obscure cryptography conference. "

So yeah, they can find your IP address.

Tor can't protect you.

And once they find it, you're done.

There is one secure and untraceable means of conducting a financial transaction, but even that one requires manual re-distribution and randomization. It's called cash.

Bitcoin and block chain are a big gov't wet dream come true. Imagine, people buying and selling in a blockchain based currency. Every transaction you ever made, right there, forever.

Never give up cash folks, and never think that these new technologies are on your side. They are not.

Last edited:
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Mouse Logitech G502
Why are you focusing so much on IP address. I can offload crypto from my exchange to my wallet and log in on ANY computer or accessible network in the world. At the library, in a coffee shop, at the airport, im my car next to the coffee shop....And even then IP address are only traceable to the main node which likely serves hundreds of other connections in a building. An IP address is not even enough evidence to prove piracy - https://www.techspot.com/news/76190-us-court-appeals-ip-address-isnt-enough-identify.html - So why would it magically work with crypto?

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
Why are you focusing so much on IP address. I can offload crypto from my exchange to my wallet and log in on ANY computer or accessible network in the world. At the library, in a coffee shop, at the airport, im my car next to the coffee shop....And even then IP address are only traceable to the main node which likely serves hundreds of other connections in a building. An IP address is not even enough evidence to prove piracy - https://www.techspot.com/news/76190-us-court-appeals-ip-address-isnt-enough-identify.html - So why would it magically work with crypto?

The IP is just the beginning. Your MAC address. The clock on your PC. The CPU serial number. Other accounts you might access from that IP, that identify you. A cookie.

Sure, if you always log in using a new device from a completely different far away location, and never access anything else, maybe you can stay anon. It is, theoretically, possible. Practically speaking, not going to happen.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Honestly guys, how much do you think you know? You sound like kids to me. You think it's safe because you got into some self-reinforcing feedback loop somewhere and convinced yourself that it's safe.

Do you even know what Blockchain is? I'll tell you, it's a database, one that records every transaction ever done on every bitcoin ever created.

Think Tor is one way to be safe? Think again :

Bitcoin? Nah :

"Among the first researchers to find a crack in the wall were the husband-and-wife team of Philip and Diana Koshy. In 2014, as graduate students in McDaniel’s lab at Penn State, they built their own version of the software that buyers and sellers use to take part in the Bitcoin network. It was especially designed to be inefficient, downloading a copy of every single packet of data transmitted by every computer in the Bitcoin network. “We wanted to see everything,” Philip Koshy says.

If the data flowing through the network were perfectly coordinated, with everyone’s computer sending and receiving data as frequently as the rest, then it might be impossible to link Bitcoin addresses with IP addresses. But there is no top-down coordination of the Bitcoin network, and its flow is far from perfect. The Koshys noticed that sometimes a computer sent out information about only one transaction, meaning that the person at that IP address was the owner of that Bitcoin address. And sometimes a surge of transactions came from a single IP address—probably when the user was upgrading his or her Bitcoin client software. Those transactions held the key to a whole backlog of their Bitcoin addresses. Like unraveling a ball of string, once the Koshys isolated some of the addresses, others followed.

Ultimately, they were able to map IP addresses to more than 1000 Bitcoin addresses; they published their findings in the proceedings of an obscure cryptography conference. "

So yeah, they can find your IP address.

Tor can't protect you.

And once they find it, you're done.

There is one secure and untraceable means of conducting a financial transaction, but even that one requires manual re-distribution and randomization. It's called cash.

Bitcoin and block chain are a big gov't wet dream come true. Imagine, people buying and selling in a blockchain based currency. Every transaction you ever made, right there, forever.

Never give up cash folks, and never think that these new technologies are on your side. They are not.
I believe this tracking only works for unencrypted transactions. I wouldnt mind glancing over the white paper as media reports are never 100% accurate.

Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Mouse Logitech G502
All of those are very easy to spoof. Like really easy. A dual nic setup on a linux box and your done.

And IMO a world elite class hacker should be able to do all of these things with ease and also not store stolen crypto on a US exchange. ;)

Plus we haven't even touched VPN services yet.

Which is why I am super skeptical about the claims being made from the .gov.

Last edited:
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
"hang onto your cash"... governments are busy coming up with their own versions of digital currencies.. the ability to withdraw "cash" from your digital account aint gonna be part of the game.. he he..

ether way bitcoin resisted the attempts to drive it down below 30K.. its now above 37K and looking good..

trog

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
So what happens when I use my iPhone all on free WiFi in my state like the Free WiFi at any McDonalds store?

They able to track me, if I do the transaction then turn my data off?

Also I heard that the CIA can't even crack an iPhone.

Not sure if this is relevant?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
So what happens when I use my iPhone all on free WiFi in my state like the Free WiFi at any McDonalds store?

They able to track me, if I do the transaction then turn my data off?

Also I heard that the CIA can't even crack an iPhone.

Not sure if this is relevant?

You use McDonalds ISP.

The ISP tracks your iPhones MAC address when you get your IP.

Every piece of hardware has a unique MAC address. It is possible to 'spoof' a MAC address, however many switches and routers can detect it and will not let you connect.

Go look up UDID.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I said nothing about Tor (if I had to use one of those I'd probably use I2P but nah, I don't need it) or any networked technology. The quote you quoted actually referenced in person paper wallet transactions (there is a reason I said "street transaction" and not "wire transaction".)
Maybe read before you criticize next time. I know what I'm talking about, I'm not a kid.

Of course the best way to stay out of trouble is to not be doing trouble in the first place. Don't act like I'm not claiming that. I'm a goody two shoes, I even file my crypto taxes, but I hate misinformation.

Keep in mind, I'm actually a security researcher and do that for a living. I find it amusing you quoted me in this context.

Go look up UDID.
Isn't that just an ipv6 mac which is more or less formed using all sorts of ways (including but not limited too RNG?), and integrating the mac? Most DHCP servers are pretty liberal about those.

Granted, that one I'm not fully up to date on without hitting the books, but why is this such a revelation?

EDIT: My bad, that's a UUID. Look, I can acronym too.

Every piece of hardware has a unique MAC address. It is possible to 'spoof' a MAC address, however many switches and routers can detect it and will not let you connect.
Android spoofs the MAC by default now with a random one. I really doubt anyone doesn't let all android devices connect. Please.

Last edited:
What if I told you I can obtain crypto and make a crypto transaction without ever having an internet connection myself?

(spoiler, I can.)
And can you maintain anonymity doing so? My guess is no.

trog
That's it? "Troll" is the best response you two can come up with? :rolleyes:
I said nothing about Tor (if I had to use one of those I'd probably use I2P but nah, I don't need it) or any networked technology. The quote you quoted actually referenced in person paper wallet transactions (there is a reason I said "street transaction" and not "wire transaction".)
Maybe read before you criticize next time. I know what I'm talking about, I'm not a kid.
He wasn't directing those comments at you...

Status
Not open for further replies.