• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black screen after flashing HD 7950 (my only gpu)

Processor AMD FX-8120 3.1ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Kingston 2x4gb 1333mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3gb
Case Antec Three Hundred
Power Supply XFX 750W 80+
Hi! (English it’s not my first language)
I made a huge mistake and I can’t find if there’s any kind of “rollback” possible.

What happened? I read about a bios update on my Sapphire HD 7950 (until today I didn’t even know GPUs had a BIOS, so...) Well, I did some googling and arrived to the AMD Atiflash download page. Then I googled a little more and learn about TechPowerUp video Bios database... finally I downloaded the rom compatible with my graphic card.
I recently updated my mobo BIOS with an app very similar to the amd atiflash so I guess this would be the same. I opened the app, saved the current bios, then loaded the downloaded rom... I clicked “program”, some process started, then finished and finally asked me to reboot. Well done, I thought...
Now the PC seems to start, but there’s no signal from my GPU to the screen and I’m writing this post from my girlfriend’s iPad.

Googling again I see everyone talking about a command line app and a usb stick... well, I guess I miss some steps? Right now I don’t pretend to do a proper flashing, I just ask for your help to get a rollback of any kind.

Oh, and my mobo has no video output, so the Sapphire it’s the only thing with a video output to my screen!

Please, if anyone can help me in any way I’d be very VERY pleased! Of course, first you’ll have to stop laughing about the foolish thing I’ve done.

Thanks in advance!

System Name First Rig
Processor I5 3570k @ 4,5 Ghz V1.16
Motherboard Asus P8Z77 -V
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor X 1160Mhz/1560Mhz Stock Voltages
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Seagate 1TB, Toshiba 2TB, Toshiba 3TB
Case Corsair Carbide 400R
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster E1
Power Supply Corsair GS800w
Mouse Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Your graphics card should have a bios switch or button next to the Crossfire connectors, try using it. That gpu usually comes with 2 bios versions.