• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

Blizzard Servers Hacked, User Data Compromised

System Name HAL
Processor Core i7 4770k @ 4.6 ghz.
Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Hero
Cooling H80i Closed loop liquid cooling.
Memory 4x 4 (16) GB Corsair Vengeance ddr3 2133 @ 2200
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FTW
Storage 256 GB Ocz V4 SSD "Thank you Kreij (Dean)" + 2x 1TB drives.
Display(s) 50" Samsung, UHD, 4k, 60hz.
Case Corsair Carbide MId tower
Audio Device(s) LG system through optical 5.1
Power Supply CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M
Software Microsoft Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Haven (3720), Cinebench (932)
I'm willing to bet this happens far more times than we are made aware of..

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name A dancer in your disco of fire
Processor i3 4130 3.4Ghz
Motherboard MSI B85M-E45
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1400Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 760 DCU2OC 2GB
Storage Crucial BX100 120GB | WD Blue 1TB x 2
Display(s) BenQ GL2450HT
Case AeroCool DS Cube White
Power Supply Cooler Master G550M
Mouse Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
Keyboard Dell SK-3205
Software Windows 10 Pro
And those suckers still force you to use your real name for accounts! There's no privacy anymore:shadedshu
The moment you stepped online you forfeit privacy, pretty much. Or come to think of it, when you're born.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i7 4770k @ 4.6 ghz.
Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Hero
Cooling H80i Closed loop liquid cooling.
Memory 4x 4 (16) GB Corsair Vengeance ddr3 2133 @ 2200
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FTW
Storage 256 GB Ocz V4 SSD "Thank you Kreij (Dean)" + 2x 1TB drives.
Display(s) 50" Samsung, UHD, 4k, 60hz.
Case Corsair Carbide MId tower
Audio Device(s) LG system through optical 5.1
Power Supply CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M
Software Microsoft Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Haven (3720), Cinebench (932)
The moment you stepped online you forfeit privacy, pretty much. Or come to think of it, when you're born.
Yea I think they call that a "social security card"..lol..

As more and more information is kept online, more will be hacked. It's the nature of the beast.
Even the best minds in the security fields fight this kind of thing daily. It is no trivial task.
Add to that the fact that even the best admins are human and may make mistakes ...
Indeed. A long time ago I was building high end servers, workstations, render farms,etc for a huge amount of different companies, and I had the chance to meet and discuss this subject with many admins and security expert.
The one thing I learnt and told was that whatever you want to have secured, you must make sure that it's on a system which doesn't touch the internet at all, because if it does, sooner or later it can be and will be "hacked".
I understand that decades later it's very different story, because thousand of users must have access to content and data, and "things" must be kept online, but - apparently- the main rule still holds:)

Solaris17

Creator Solaris Utility DVD
System Name Not named yet
Processor I5 7640x 5Ghz 24/7
Motherboard MSI x299 Tomahawk Arctic
Cooling Corsair H55
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1080TI
Storage 2x Seagate 3TB Drives (RAID 0) 1x Seagate 256GB SSD 1x Adata 120GB SSD
Display(s) 3x AOC Q2577PWQ
Case Inwin 303 White (Thermaltake Ring 120mm Purple accent)
Audio Device(s) Onboard on Audio-Technica ATH-AG1
Power Supply Seasonic 1050W Snow
Mouse Roccat Tyon White
Keyboard Ducky Shine 6
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Indeed. A long time ago I was building high end servers, workstations, render farms,etc for a huge amount of different companies, and I had the chance to meet and discuss this subject with many admins and security expert.
The one thing I learnt and told was that whatever you want to have secured, you must make sure that it's on a system which doesn't touch the internet at all, because if it does, sooner or later it can be and will be "hacked".
I understand that decades later it's very different story, because thousand of users must have access to content and data, and "things" must be kept online, but - apparently- the main rule still holds:)
that isnt even entiely plausible anymore though. with a network as big as any MMO game even if the bulk of user data is stored on a server that doesnt host the world. the IT staffs personal PC can access it the game servers can access it and need to access it to authenticate and both game servers and IT guys PC are connected to the net. all roads lead to rome and even the most secure intranet has bridges going to it that eventually connect to the outside. Even the biggest honeypot will crumble if someone is determined enough.

System Name Toaster!
Processor Intel Core i7 5930k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard ASUS x99 Deluxe
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler (Blue). Stock on GPU.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M4A2800C16 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 @ 2750mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6GB
Storage Samsung 850 series 512GB SSD
Display(s) AOC D2757Ph 27" 3D IPS Widescreen LED Monitor and Viewsonic VX2753MH 27 Inch
Case Corsair Obsidian 900D
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Phoebus 7.1 + Razer Tiamat 7.1
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1300W Modular Power Supply
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard Corsair K70.
Software ALL HAIL WINDOWS 10.
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6805248
Changed my password, even though I have an authenticator toggle. My account would be worth a fair bit I'd reckon!

Update your security and move on Blizzard. This was unpreventable. Just lucky no credit card details were taken.

that isnt even entiely plausible anymore though. with a network as big as any MMO game even if the bulk of user data is stored on a server that doesnt host the world. the IT staffs personal PC can access it the game servers can access it and need to access it to authenticate and both game servers and IT guys PC are connected to the net. all roads lead to rome and even the most secure intranet has bridges going to it that eventually connect to the outside. Even the biggest honeypot will crumble if someone is determined enough.
I understand that of course, but the meaning was that (I guess) there is still no way to protect it if it's online, while you have a small/better chance if it's offline. Another layer of defence is always a good idea, especially when it comes with advantages like that you only have to watch some "bridges" and not the entire "wall":)