• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blocking obtrusive emojs

Desktop Telegram is a wonderful communication medium with a couple of drawbacks : 1. The creators of it do not answer the questions that they enable being asked, and 2. The window with Emojs, Stickers and Gifs infuriatingly keeps covering over the chat window - it has to be constantly cancelled to continue chat. It is because of the first drawback that I am here posing my question about the second. I don't use, want or need emojs etc, so my experience of Telegram would be greatly enhanced, if the 'popping up' of that window could be prevented - as distinct from remedied. Any ideas ?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Desktop Telegram is a wonderful communication medium with a couple of drawbacks : 1. The creators of it do not answer the questions that they enable being asked, and 2. The window with Emojs, Stickers and Gifs infuriatingly keeps covering over the chat window - it has to be constantly cancelled to continue chat. It is because of the first drawback that I am here posing my question about the second. I don't use, want or need emojs etc, so my experience of Telegram would be greatly enhanced, if the 'popping up' of that window could be prevented - as distinct from remedied. Any ideas ?

hm I use telegram (imo the best service of this type) what exactly do you mean by popping up? you mean in the general chat window or some kind of alert?

EDIT:: I took a peek at my settings (since I dont get the window you are talking about) and I think you might be talking about the windows notifications. Telegram actually does have several settings for this notifications and emoji's in general. By selecting the pip bars at the top left if you scroll down the configuration menu you will get to this.

Windows notifications which I have disabled at the square "pop up" notifications that generally open at the corners of your screen (though the position is configurable) by shutting those off you should not get these boxes.

If you scroll even further down. You get the following emoji options.

You can manipulate what the emojis do and how they show. if you for example uncheck "Replace Emoji" it will not auto convert things like : ) to :) you can also manipulate the "stickers" as well. simply click on the sticker button in a chat and select the cog. there you can delete packs you may have accidentally installed as well as those that are enabled.

Last edited:
hm I use telegram (imo the best service of this type) what exactly do you mean by popping up? you mean in the general chat window or some kind of alert?

EDIT:: I took a peek at my settings (since I dont get the window you are talking about) and I think you might be talking about the windows notifications. Telegram actually does have several settings for this notifications and emoji's in general. By selecting the pip bars at the top left if you scroll down the configuration menu you will get to this.

Windows notifications which I have disabled at the square "pop up" notifications that generally open at the corners of your screen (though the position is configurable) by shutting those off you should not get these boxes.

You can manipulate what the emojis do and how they show. if you for example uncheck "Replace Emoji" it will not auto convert things like : ) to :) you can also manipulate the "stickers" as well. simply click on the sticker button in a chat and select the cog. there you can delete packs you may have accidentally installed as well as those that are enabled.

Solaris17 - Thanks for alerting me to IMO - I'll try it out. 'In the general chat window' YES, c.f. the attachment. 'Some kind of alert' Well, it alerts one to the possibility of inserting emojs etc. I have looked at all the settings you mention - in fact I have UNticked 'Use windows notification' and I still get my general chat window constantly covered over by the pesky emoj/gif/sticker 'offer'; Your suggestion about emoj manipulation are interesting but beg my question as how to prevent them from offering altogether.
I have noticed that the emoj/gif/sticker window pops up whenever the mouse cursor brushes the smiley in the chat entry box - however THAT is NOT the problem, as that window disappears when the cursor moves away from the smiley. My objection is to the need to click on the smiley to close that window, so something other than brushing the smiley triggers the lasting display of the objectionable window.
I have attached a snapshot as large as I could make it. It shows at the bottom, the unobstructed text entry box containing the smiley-on-the-right, but the covering/obscuring of the messages that I am replying to.

Attachments

• Telegram.PNG
    Telegram.PNG
    28 KB · Views: 355

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
hm that I actually dont have an answer for none of the emoji windows stay open for me when I move my mouse away.