• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Both laptop and dekstop frozen at same time

JakW

Hi
Need urgent help please.
Yesterday my Samsung Laptop Windows 7 and wifi froze after startup on the desktop, eventually managed to return it to a previous state as repair failed. today I started the desktop Dell vista and not wifi but connected to wifi router, at the same time I started my Laptop, both got to desktop and froze, couldn't use anything, eventually managed to get laptop to a previous state and have that working without the wifi, turned it off in case that was somehow the problem. However not having much success with desktop vista, can only use safe mode fortunately with networking, have tried to repair (with the Dell disk inserted), although it restarted a couple of times, didn't make any difference. got onto system restore in safe mode and tried restoring to previous time, tried on 3 restores and all of them failed. When I returned to normal mode just have a black screen with a cursor and obviously can't do anything, so have returned to safe mode with networking.
I have therefore 2 problems, 1 - why it did it in the first place and will it do it again (laptop), suspect got something to do with networking and 2 - how do I get vista back in normal mode or do I have to do a complete new install with Dell disc.
Would be grateful if anyone can help.
thanks.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Odd that , both, the laptop and desktop were affected... I would have to, firstly, give you the advice of running a anti-virus & malware scan. Using a rescue disk on both devices.

http://support.kaspersky.com/4162
Malwarebytes

You may, also, want to do a bit of cleaning and resetting of some network items and this, [Freeware] Complete Internet Repair, may help.

On the off chance it was caused by the router... try looking at the router logs for intrusions. You might want to try re-booting router or resetting it to it's default factory configuration and reset any personal settings you made.

If you are not... you might want to run some (windows or other) firewall and antivirus/malware software.
And, check that the are up to date and working. If your router has a built in firewall use it, too.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
Did you reset router? Upgrade firmware too.