• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

bricked hd2600xt :(

thelegbra

hello :)

i've discovered techpowerup while i was trying to find a solution to my problem. i've seen similar threads but couldn't solve my problem. so i wanted to give details about what i'm suffering from, maybe you guys can give me the idea about what to do.

it will be a long text since i want to tell every single detail about what i've done so hopefully we can fix it asap.

the card is a gigabyte radeon hd2600xt. and my mainboard is asus m2npv-mx (this mobo has integrated geforce 6150)

i was bored last night and found that there was this new bios released by gigabyte and decided to update (i know, silly me, don't play with vga bios if you don't have any problems with it).

so after only a little inspecting, i saw that the bios versions f1x isnt suitable for me, since the "lot no" on the sticker of my card ended with "C". (check http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/VGA/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2586 for that.) and the last version was F7 for my card. but it was only a dump file, didn't include an installer, so i downloaded the previous version (F6). after double clicking the executable, there was this "please wait" screen for 2 secs, then my pc shut down. i tried booting but it didn't.

i removed the card and booted with integrated graphics. changed the graphics in bios from "pci-e" to "onboard" then plugged my card in. system is working like this at the minute.

i did everything i can to re-flash my card, i used nearly all versions of atiwinflash. when i try running them, cpu usage goes to 50% and stays like that until i end the task using task manager.

i also tried booting with win98se cd and trying with atiflash/flashrom (with the latest version) and i get the error "adapter not found" even with force switches and "-i".

so i continued researching, and i read somewhere that using onboard graphics disables pci-e completely, that can be a reason why no application can access my card. i tried a s3 virge pci card but i'm not sure if that card is broken or my mainboard isn't running it (i remember of reading a text somewhere that very old pci cards have different voltage system and doesnt run on new mainboards but im not sure about that). when i plugged in the card, the system ignored it and continued running onboard graphics.

if only i could disable integrated graphics, i was planning to try a blind flash, but there isnt any jumpers for that, so i couldn't do that.

should i try finding a pci card and try flashing when using it? (would old pci graphics work on my mobo?)

or should i try blindflashing my card on a friend's mobo that has no integrated graphics?

or do you think my card is completely broken now and i shouldn't spend time working on different ways?

any comment is appreciated and i need to fix it as fast as possible.

sorry for my grammar by the way, english is not my first language :)

thanks!

System Name GaMEr / HTPC
Processor FX8320 4.5ghz so far NB- 2815mhz / X2 255 @ 3.2ghz (Temp till BD)
Motherboard 990FX-UD5 / GA-MA785GPMT-US2H
Cooling XSPC - 240rad 480rad 5 x 120mm out, 6 x 80mm in / H220-edge 1/2" & 2 x 120mm Magma
Memory 4gb PI 6,8,6,18 1T 1706mhz / 4gb Crucial D9's 1400 @ 6,6,6,18,1T
Video Card(s) 3gb HD7950 / Onboard
Storage 2 x 120gb Sandisk ultra plus 2tb WD / 60gb vertex 2 + 2 x 2tb WD Greens
Display(s) 3x24in Dell Ultra (portrait) / NEC 32" FullHD LCD
Case LL PC71A Full tower / Antec fusion black with Imon remote Modded for WC
Audio Device(s) OB / Auzentech cinema 7.1
Power Supply TT 700w TR2 / TT 600w Litepower modded with Noctua S12 fan.
Software 7 Ult / 7 premium x64
Man your grammar is better than most others on here that do speak english.. haahaaa. :)

My first q is, when you boot with card in and using onboard gfx, can you see the card in device manager???

thelegbra

hey!

thanks for the compliment hehehe.

no i can't see the card in device manager :/ should i? if my theory of "having pci-e card disabled when onboard graphics is used" is correct, i shouldn't be seeing that. well it's my idea of course.

thelegbra

i called my friend over to bring his mainboard, which has no integrated graphics. but the thing im gonna ask is,

when i select pci-e as primary adapter in my mobo, the system doesn't post, so im not sure that i can do a blindflash. it would do the same on that mainboard too? i guess so.

having the card not passing POST, does it mean i can't do anything to flash the card? or should i use a mainboard with 2x pcie slots?

still need urgent replies guys :/

Fastmix

You need a pci graphic card, boot from it and flash. You might need to use "f" to force the flash.

thelegbra

atiflash finally recognized my card on my friends mobo. he had an nvidia pcie card, and i plugged my card into second slot. atiflash only recognized my card, as adapter 0, and flashed it to the latest version (f7) ^^

thanks everyone who tried to help :p i'm so happy now :D