• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Broken HDD or something else??

bubs

System Name Bubs
Processor Phenom ii X6
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H 880G
Cooling Stock Fan
Memory 8GB Corsair 1333MHz
Video Card(s) ATI 4890 2GB
Storage 650GB + 2TB
Display(s) 23" HD LG Monitor 1920x1080
Case Antec VSK 2000
Audio Device(s) Intergrated
Power Supply Corsair 850 Watt
Software Win 7 UltimateDead Island + Deus EX
Hi

I have a friends laptop, which he brought to me saying his laptop would not load into windows, Its windows vista it gets to the loading bar then black screen for more than a hour, thats as long as i have have left it. We he said his son dropped it. Now i personally thing it could be a HDD problem, I have tried windows advanced boot options, safe mode does the same, repair does same, and im just about to buy a replacement HDD. I even tried to install a new version of windows and after the loading screen there it also crashes. Can i take the laptop SATA HDD and put that in my desktop to run tests?( i know sata will fit but im unsure about power?) Because he dropped the laptop i just want feedback of other people because i dont want to tell him to buy a new HDD and still have a problem.

System Name WTF it actually turns on!
Processor AMD FX-8350
Motherboard MSI 990fxa-gd80
Cooling Raystorm swiftech mcp655 xspc dual bay res Rx240 Rs240
Memory 16gb ddr3 1600
Video Card(s) Power color R9 280x
Storage 2x1tb+2x2tb seagates
Display(s) 27" Samsung S27B350H
Case Tt core v51
Power Supply CORSAIR GS700
Yes you can plug the laptop sata hdd into your desktop and run any test you want.
There is no difference in sata power connectors the hard drives themselves internally use the right voltage.