• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BSOD and Memory Errors

Obsessionman

Good grief. I'm not sure what's going on in this thread, but the OP has been running this setup for years stable. The recent onset of BSOD's, and the confirmation of a failed memory test, all points to one of the sticks of RAM going bad.

@Obsessionman, you can test out the sticks by removing one set at a time and running the memtest again. Make sure you're leaving each set of ram in the 2nd and 4th slots (from the cpu socket). Test one matched set, and then remove and try the others in the same slots.

If both sets test out fine by themselves it's possible that it could be a memory slot on the board, but I'd put my money on one bad stick of RAM.

Okay, I'll try with just the original set in slots 2 and 4.

I've been running some Prime95 stress tests and TestMem5 with the Extreme anta777 config and had errors. Are these test good enough or should I boot the Memtest usb?

Prime95 error:
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4996460678, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected running 1536K FFT size, consult stress.txt file.

Okay, I'll try with just the original set in slots 2 and 4.

I've been running some Prime95 stress tests and TestMem5 with the Extreme anta777 config and had errors. Are these test good enough or should I boot the Memtest usb?

Prime95 error:
TestMem5 is perfect. Either the profile you're using, or the 1usmus (or however it's spelled lol)

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
If I've used this configuration without issue for almost 2 years though could my blue screen issue being coming from something else then? Or just possibly one of the sets is dying

View attachment 348617View attachment 348618

If the timings stables are shown the same is the because that's what the motherboard is setting them to?
Subtimings might be different. I would test sticks individually 1 at a time in the primary slot B2 if you didn't get them as actual 2 dimm kits.

Obsessionman

Subtimings might be different. I would test sticks individually 1 at a time in the primary slot B2 if you didn't get them as actual 2 dimm kits.

It was one 2 x 8GB kit installed in spring 2021 then I added another 2 x 8GB kit in fall 2022 of the same model, though I suppose they have different chips, cause docker was hungry. I've been running 4 slots full since then.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Mouse Logitech M575
It was one 2 x 8GB kit installed in spring 2021 then I added another 2 x 8GB kit in fall 2022 of the same model, though I suppose they have different chips, cause docker was hungry. I've been running 4 slots full since then.
Assuming you identify that one kit may be bad you still have to consider replacement if you still need the total capacity. There is no guarantee the next kit you mix with your remaining good kit will play as nicely out of the box. In that case at least a 2-dimm 32GB kit would still be my recommendation for the least amount of potential headaches.

Obsessionman

Assuming you identify that one kit may be bad you still have to consider replacement if you still need the total capacity. There is no guarantee the next kit you mix with your remaining good kit will play as nicely out of the box. In that case at least a 2-dimm 32GB kit would still be my recommendation for the least amount of potential headaches.

Ya, I don't mind replacing them and the pricing for 2 x 16 seems a lot cheaper than it was a few years back . I just want to make sure it's actually the sticks themselves that's the issue before throwing money at it. I've been lucky so far never having any hardware fail other than some old HDD.

Update:

@Super Firm Tofu I ran TestMem5 on the first set and it completed all cycles without error. Then I ran Prime95 Large FFT torture test for about an hour and had no errors.

I swapped to the second set and within 15 minutes of TestMem5 running it had found 3 errors. I ran Prime95 on the second set and again within 20 minutes hardware errors were detected.

It certainly seems like there's some issue with just the second set, and not the motherboard, CPU, or PSU, that depending on when those errors hit have caused my recent blue screens.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
Ya, I don't mind replacing them and the pricing for 2 x 16 seems a lot cheaper than it was a few years back . I just want to make sure it's actually the sticks themselves that's the issue before throwing money at it. I've been lucky so far never having any hardware fail other than some old HDD.

Update:

@Super Firm Tofu I ran TestMem5 on the first set and it completed all cycles without error. Then I ran Prime95 Large FFT torture test for about an hour and had no errors.

I swapped to the second set and within 15 minutes of TestMem5 running it had found 3 errors. I ran Prime95 on the second set and again within 20 minutes hardware errors were detected.

It certainly seems like there's some issue with just the second set, and not the motherboard, CPU, or PSU, that depending on when those errors hit have caused my recent blue screens.
Which set failed Samsung or SkHynix?