• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

build raid with sata and sata 2?

ivan__jedi

does anyone know can i build a raid 0 system using a sata drive and a sata 2 drive??
or the two hard drives must be exactly the same?

thanks

G.T

Processor 3.20E GHz P4 Prescott
Motherboard Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
Cooling Zalman (CNPS7000B-CU) Super Flower Cooler + Ultracool II fan controller
Memory 2 Gig Mushkin HP 3200
Video Card(s) Leadtek A6600GT TDH
Storage 2 x WD 10k 74GB Raptors in RAID 0 (OS), 2 x WD 80GB SATA RAID 0, 1 X Maxtor 250GB ATA (Media, music)
Display(s) Samsung 19" TFT SyncMaster 913N
Case Antec Plusview Iii (Modded front) 1000AMG SOHO File Server - 5X Antec UV reactive fans - 2xUV tubes
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Fatal1ty FPS running through Creative Inspire 6.1 6700 speakers
Power Supply Hiper Type-R 580w Blue with UV cables
Software XP pro (Legit) & shitloads that isn't >:] /serial Brycer and FraxFlamer :)
I think with RAID you have to use 2 or more drives of the same size and prefereably same make/type.

Though I am not sure if you can mix SATA with SATA 2 in the RAID array.

System Name Sample light
Processor AMD Phenom II 965
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Memory 2x 2GB G-skill PC8500
Video Card(s) Asus built AMD/ATI HD4850
Storage 500GB Wesern Digital green
Display(s) too ashamed to tell, but its an acer
Case Lian Li V2000
Audio Device(s) Echo Audiofire 2
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Windows XP pro SP3
as always, you should use same brand same model drives to make a raid array, its more a saftey and stability issue then a performance issue, you know that every hard drive model gives different bandwidth, latency and access times,
like you would´nt mount a dual channel memory system with memory modules from different brands, speeds and latency values,

but then again, if you just want to try, and have the drives on hand, alot of Sata2 drives have a jumper to limit them to Sata1, that should lower the risks,