• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a new computer, need advice

KickServe

Hi guys,

I'm planning on building a new computer in the next couple of months and wanted some advice. I'll probably be using the PC for mostly games, but I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money.

I was thinking of doing a barebones system with an AMD Phenom. So here are my questions

1)How much RAM, I was thinking 2gb or 4gb. Will 2gb get me by?
2)Not sure about the video card, again, I don't need the highest end card, but something enough to play games would be awesome. Probably going to be playing the Warhammer MMO mostly.
3)I want a new monitor as well and saw a 26inch Vizio LCD for 400 bucks, seemed like a good deal, but don't know much about it. Has anyone used it? This is the one that I saw: http://www.vizio.com/productDetails....=2466&pid=1508.
4) How big of a power supply do I need? there seems to be a lot of options with the barebones systems.
5) Anything special I need to do with the cooling? Will the standard CPU fan and case fan be enough?

I'd like to keep the PC budget under $600 (not including monitor).

Thanks for the help!

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
Hi, welcome to TPU

1)How much RAM, I was thinking 2gb or 4gb. Will 2gb get me by?

That really depends on what version of windows you decide to get. 32 bit windows XP, you'd be ok(not great) with 2 gigs. For 32 bit Vista, I recommend 4 gigs of RAM. If you get a 64 bit version of windows, XP or vista, you'll have the ability to use more than 4 gigs or RAM.

2)Not sure about the video card, again, I don't need the highest end card, but something enough to play games would be awesome. Probably going to be playing the Warhammer MMO mostly.

Depending on your motherboard choice, whenther you get a crossfire or SLI motherboard, For a good card that can do what your asking I recommend the gtx260 on nvidia's side and the 4870 on ATI's side. Their not the top cards, but they are only 1 step down.

3)I want a new monitor as well and saw a 26inch Vizio LCD for 400 bucks, seemed like a good deal, but don't know much about it. Has anyone used it? This is the one that I saw: http://www.vizio.com/productDetails....=2466&pid=1508.

I don't know about Vizio's quality

4) How big of a power supply do I need? there seems to be a lot of options with the barebones systems.

For a 4870 or a gtx260, I recommend a 550 to 600 watt power supply. The brand you choose is extremely important, as a poor quality PSU that fails can friy your intire system. Corsair and PC power and cooling arethe best you can get today.

5) Anything special I need to do with the cooling? Will the standard CPU fan and case fan be enough?

If your not planning on OC'ing, you'll be fine running the stock heatsink and fan. If your gonna OC and get yourself some of the free performance gain(which I recommend doing) You'll need a good aftermarket heatsink. The zigmatek 1283 120 mm rifle cooler is one of the best heatsinks available and only priced around the $35 dollar mark on newegg.