• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CableMod Recalls 12VHPWR v1.0 and v1.1 Angled Adapters

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Why?
Especially now that cards - or coolers - have become even longer the depth of cases in general is as much of a problem. Plus on Nvidia cards the part where cooler is longer than PCB would add a need for extension on the card itself.

That depends on your case, my RTX3080 has at least 5 or 6" clearance in my case from end to front of case, which would mean less bending of the cables. Now if your case is so small you have zero clearance then it would not work. I have seen a fair few posts where they could not connect the cables on the side without bending them as there was hardly enough clearance between the card and the window/side panel. Swings and roundabouts. If you buy a big GPU, buy a big/ger case.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Apparently ensuring that a product fits before you buy it, is illegal now. Whodathunkit?

People have been perfectly capable of ensuring they have enough physical space in their PC for decades save a few outlier individuals, that's not the problem. The problem is that unlike past GPU power connectors, the new one requires a large amount of space from the connector to be straight before a bend to avoid putting too much pressure on the pins. It's bad design to make a cable that fails in conditions that are common in the wild. It's bad design in general to have such a fragile power cable specification. Power delivery systems should be made as robust as possible.

In addition there was and still is a lack of education in regards to the new cable. It's very likely that people who don't constantly follow tech news will go ahead and bend their 12V2X6 and 12VHPWR cable because that was completely fine with the 8-pin and 6-pin connectors. Nvidia and board partners haven't lifted a finger to inform the boarder public about that either. Even for enthusiasts, many were still shafted because there was no attempt to communicate the difficulty of fully seating the connector nor the length requirements prior to purchase. In fact I even pulled out my 4080's box and the documentation makes zero mention of properly seating the cable or the straight length requirements coming out of the cable. There was no campaign by Nvidia to make customers aware of this fact prior to their purchase. Enthusiasts only found out after people's video cards were burning up and in essence the only way someone finds out to this day is word of mouth or they are an enthusiast. Either way it's beyond negligent. You cannot pin this on customers, it was and still is an ongoing failure on multiple fronts.

The stamped pins and sockets on these are garbage and any bending creates poor contact. That's why they recommend like 35-50mm before any bends.
That was a bogus story. The 12VHPWR plug is flawed and requires a recall. It's that simple.

The new version of the connectors did nothing to address this.
The 12V-2x6 plug completely addressed it. It has been independently tested to work very well even when partly unseated.

They just pulled the sense pins back a little, which means the card will hopefully not boot if the connector is so unseated that it's losing safe connectivity.
That was not the primary fix. The high power contacts are hugely improved, and work perfectly when twisted on an angle.

... There are many better connectors on the market ...
The 12V-2x6 plug is one such better design.

It's very likely that people who don't constantly follow tech news will go ahead and bend their 12V2X6 and 12VHPWR cable because that was completely fine with the 8-pin and 6-pin connectors.
The 12V-2x6 plug has been independently tested in a poorly seated position at above max current. It passed easily with room to spare. The thermals were excellent.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
The 12V-2x6 plug has been independently tested in a poorly seated position at above max current. It passed easily with room to spare. The thermals were excellent.

The fact that this needs to be pointed out is worrying enough. You'd have to hope that for something like power cables they were already doing testing that included ensuring the connector cannot burn up by virtue of being in a state where it does not have enough contact with the receptacle to the point where the increase in resistance causes a fire.

Either you are implying that they were grossly incompetent and didn't perform said testing with prior gen cables (hard to imagine given that partial terminations are not new) or that they performed routine testing, the same of which they did for the 12VHPWR cable which still had issues despite that testing. By extension said routine testing doesn't vindicate this new cable because as clearly evidences, it's not a 100% guarantee there will be no issue.

That was not the primary fix. The high power contacts are hugely improved, and work perfectly when twisted on an angle.

It remains to be seen whether or not this new connector still requires a significant length of the cable to be straight without a bend. They changed the pin design but I've seen no guidance that states the cables no longer need to heed prior bending issues. Given the lack of communication on the subject in general, most likely customers will find out through personal experience. Who knows, maybe it will push back the issues from burning up on launch to burning up in 2-3 years, perfectly out of warranty and ready to force you to upgrade.

Huh?! It wasn't officially independent. It was just a group of individuals that sat down and did the test. Probably on Youtube. It was posted as a news item here a few weeks back. They really did a good job at going out of spec on the seating of the 12V-2x6 plug and then pushing it hard. Well above anything the RTX4090 needs.

And yes, I most certainly am implying that PCI/ATX standards team totally failed to do their job first time around on the 12VHPWR plug. They probably just took the plug manufacturer's word for it.

Found it - https://www.techpowerup.com/314066/...-to-handle-full-load-while-partially-inserted

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Huh?! It wasn't officially independent. It was just a group of individuals that sat down and did the test. Probably on Youtube. It was posted as a news item here a few weeks back. They really did a good job at going out of spec on the seating of the 12V-2x6 plug and then pushing it hard. Well above anything the RTX4090 needs.

And yes, I most certainly am implying that PCI/ATX standards team totally failed to do their job first time around on the 12VHPWR plug. They probably just took the plug manufacturer's word for it.

Found it - https://www.techpowerup.com/314066/...-to-handle-full-load-while-partially-inserted

That's Arris from Harware Busters / Cybernetics. He's very experienced in the field of power supplies but his testing doesn't conclusively imply that the connector won't have issues. He wasn't able to reproduce the issues the 12VHPWR cable had in his testing either. How the cable performs over a longer period of time isn't really addressed by this testing either. I'd hope they do longer term testing where the cable goes through many thermal cycles as would be normal for a GPU.

System Name Dark Palimpsest
Processor Intel i9 13900k with Optimus Foundation Block
Motherboard EVGA z690 Classified
Cooling MO-RA3 420mm Custom Loop
Memory G.Skill 6000, 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia 4090 FE with Heatkiller Block
Storage 3 NVMe SSDs, 2TB-each, plus a SATA SSD
Case Be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Logitech G Pro X
Power Supply Be quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard GMMK Pro + Numpad
That was a bogus story. The 12VHPWR plug is flawed and requires a recall. It's that simple.

The 12V-2x6 plug completely addressed it. It has been independently tested to work very well even when partly unseated.

The 12V-2x6 plug is one such better design.

Please provide evidence that the pins and sockets have changed. If you look at the information PCI-SIG shared with Igor's Lab, they showed the actual contacts are the same, they just repositioned the mating points by adjusting the depth. If the pins and sockets were different, they wouldn't be backwards compatible, which was required for the update.

They have not to my knowledge changed the 35mm guidance for not bending the wires as they exit the connector. They did the same tests you're referring to for the first revision and still said "ship it" lol. Lots of people tested the first connector and had no issues. That anecdotal evidence was clearly not good enough. The people who developed it didn't test it as it's actually used. It looks good in CAD, the math works on paper, and if it is manufactured perfectly and installed perfectly, no problem. The real world unfortunately doesn't work like that. The molding tolerances on these are terrible (otherwise the whole unseated issue would have never even happened), the gpu designs mostly don't accommodate the location of the connector for any non-huge case so most owners have to bend the wires immediately, the ones that recessed the connector made it so you can't see if it's seated properly, and if you pull it or put lateral strain on it, it's likely to not seat correctly.

But hey, who am I to say... Oh... Right... An electrical engineer that actually designs circuits, PCBs, power systems, and specifies connectors for my designs as a key part of my job... And thats the ~12 years of design engineering after I did safety testing on electronics (including over-current testing)... Yeah, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. It's probably perfect. My bad.

Here are three examples of better options they could have gone with that aren't even custom without doing an exhaustive search:

1. Samtec power blades with metal latches on the sides:
They could get these in 8-10 pin versions that are right-angle to the PCB (which is how the current connectors are), which use cables that default at 16AWG. I'd personally be fine with having a separate smaller connector that does the sense lines if we need to entertain adaptors and all that jazz. These are 18A per pin. If you split that across the 12V and GND pins, you can drive 72A at 12V = 864W on one connector. You need more for a HOF or KP style card? use two connectors. The side latches keep the connector from wiggling and twisting and the board connector has solder tabs that keep it from twisting on the board.

2. Harwin 3mm pitch connectors.
These don't come in R/A connectors, but they're actually pretty small and come in 10-pin versions, 10A/pin. So if 5 12V and 5 GND gives you 50A, at 12V = 600W. They also have jack-screws so the cable connector actually screws to that one with captive screws (that don't fall out). So they could do budget cards with one connector and HOF/KP style boards with 2 connectors and still not take up much space. These are machined round pin connectors and they actually use 18AWG, so you don't even need the super cumbersome 16AWG wires.

3. ITT Cannon Trident Slimline (pages 18-21)
These are a little bigger because they're single-row instead of dual-row. Wouldn't really be ideal for situations where you wanted dual connectors, but you could actually do two straight ones right next to each other fairly easily, it would just mean making a clearance around the BEEFY cooler lol. Part numbers 192991-0538 (right-angle) or 192991-0354 (straight). Both 10-pin connectors, rated 500 cycles, 10A pins, again 600W rated. These have side latches and can be screwed to the PCB.

That's Arris from Harware Busters / Cybernetics. He's very experienced in the field of power supplies but his testing doesn't conclusively imply that the connector won't have issues. He wasn't able to reproduce the issues the 12VHPWR cable had in his testing either. How the cable performs over a longer period of time isn't really addressed by this testing either. I'd hope they do longer term testing where the cable goes through many thermal cycles as would be normal for a GPU.
They demo'd very low thermal rise under extreme load. That's the key fact. That dictates long term performance right there.

Do you have a link for their 12VHPWR test?

Igor's Lab, they showed the actual contacts are the same, ...
Igor makes no such claim there at all. The only thing said is "The same is true for the spring contacts, even though the last recommendation of the PCI SIG in CEM 5.0 was clearly against the Astron contacts. The NTK design was clearly recommended there. When I know more, I will of course add or update this."

That is saying the spring contacts are now the correct contacts - for both plugs. Which just means that all existing dimple contacts in the 12VHPWR plugs are shit and should be withdrawn.

So, in theory, a newer 12VHPWR cable should have the plug with improved spring contacts too. But, unless a cable/power supply is making a big marketing deal about using the newer spring contacts, one can expect that all recent units on the market are going to be the shitty dimple contacts.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop Windows 11 Insider Beta
Processor Intel Core i9-14900
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO Review
Memory Corsair Dominator DDR5 32 GB (2x16 GB) 6200MHz C36
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage Samsung SSD 980 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Cooler Master 5 Mid Tower ATX
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i Platinum Plus (2022)
Mouse Corsair Katar Pro XT
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
OK, 2nd recall, I'm done with Cablemod. Left is 1.0 and right is 1.1 90° angled adapter. My GPU is a PNY 4080, never overclocked.

IMG_6621.jpg

Last edited:
Processor i9 10900K
Motherboard ASUS Z590 E-Gaming
Cooling CPU AIO - EVGA Liquid cooled GPU - Air cooled
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3090 Ti Holoblack (NTK female pins in the cable that came with the GPU)
Storage Too many to list here !!!
Display(s) 32" Samsung 4K (Smart Monitor)
Case Obsidian 500D
Audio Device(s) Monitor - see above
Power Supply EVGA 1000 watt
Mouse EVGA X17
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Win 10
Processor Ryzen 9 7900 - Ryzen 7 8700G - Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI B650 Project Zero - MSI B650 Project Zero - MSI B650 Project Zero
Cooling Custom water loop - Noctua NH - P1 - Custom water loop
Memory 64GB DDR5 - 64GB DDR5 - 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Integrated - 780M - Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" WQHD 2560x1440 240Hz
Case JONSBO D300 - JONSBO TK-1 - Montech King 95
Power Supply Be Quiet 12M 850 - Be Quiet 12M 750 - Corsair 850
Mouse Logitech G403 + Logitech Trackman Marble
Keyboard Logitech G512
Software Win 11 - AIDA64 - HWInfo - Afterburner
Easy enough decision for me...I will never use adapters. ;)

Feel free to go read the ATX 3.1 specs with the updated info on the 12V2x6 connector.
That's a mess. It can't be the latest definitive document. Page 65 has the relevant statement but it has grammar errors and even references the wrong Figure number. Most importantly, though, it treats both the dimpled and spring contacts as equals.

That's obviously out of date.

System Name IZALITH (or just "Lith")
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (4.2Ghz base 5.0Ghz boost, -30 PBO offset)
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master Rev 1.0
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx AG400 Single Tower
Memory Corsair Vengeance 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MHz CL40 DDR5 XMP (XMP enabled)
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX Red Devil OC 24GB (3.19Ghz boost -40mV UV)
Storage 2x1TB SSD, 2x2TB SSD, 2x 8TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G51C 27" QHD (1440p 165Hz) + Samsung Odyssey G3 24" FHD (1080p 165Hz)
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS55 Surround Wired Headset/LG Z407 Speaker Set
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum Modular (1000W)
Mouse Corsair RGB Harpoon PRO Wired Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K60 RGB PRO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Professional
As an AMD user here: my heart goes out to the 4080/4090 owners. This situation legitimately sucks, buying a piece of top-end hardware that comes with such a risk. I'm not trying to be a smartass, I genuinely feel bad. It's a lot of money to spend and potentially lose.

And my goodness Cablemod should be raked over the coals for this. First they release an adapter promising to prevent your extremely expensive hardware from getting damaged when it in fact does not. Then they release a revised version claiming to have fixed the issue and it STILL happens.

I hope nobody here was unlucky enough to have their card get damaged, especially by one of these adapters.

System Name Dark Palimpsest
Processor Intel i9 13900k with Optimus Foundation Block
Motherboard EVGA z690 Classified
Cooling MO-RA3 420mm Custom Loop
Memory G.Skill 6000, 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia 4090 FE with Heatkiller Block
Storage 3 NVMe SSDs, 2TB-each, plus a SATA SSD
Case Be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Logitech G Pro X
Power Supply Be quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard GMMK Pro + Numpad
That's a mess. It can't be the latest definitive document. Page 65 has the relevant statement but it has grammar errors and even references the wrong Figure number. Most importantly, though, it treats both the dimpled and spring contacts as equals.

That's obviously out of date.
Do you work for PCI SIG? you're awfully defensive and about the only person I've seen ignore all facts and try to fight for one bad connector design lol

Feel free to go read the ATX 3.1 specs with the updated info on the 12V2x6 connector.
Thanks for that!
Yes, that confirms (by yet another source) that the primary change was the adjustment to the length of the pins to have a poor insertion detected earlier...which is exactly what I said above.

It doesn't appear to be a PCI document at all.

Quote from page 22:
While many of the relevant PCIe specification updates are duplicated here for convenience, designers should confirm that they have the most up-to-date information by consulting the reference documentation on https://www.pcisig.com. The information below is drawn from the PCIe* documentation at the time of publication.

Processor i9 10900K
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3090 Ti Holoblack (NTK female pins in the cable that came with the GPU)
Case Obsidian 500D
Mouse EVGA X17
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Win 10
It doesn't appear to be a PCI document at all.

Quote from page 22:
It's the latest info thats public, the PCI-SIG has not released / published any new info.

You can also read the same info via the link below with ref to the history of the ATX 3.x spec etc.

Intel are part of the PCI-SIG consortium and are the main players here within.

PCI-SIG of which Intel is part of developed the 12VHPWR connector on behalf of Nvidia and Dell as they both sponsored it (http://jongerow.com/12VHPWR/), changes to any of the specs for the ATX standard then gets submitted to the PCI-SIG for the consortium to test / vote on the changes, all companies forward changes to all / any of these specs and are published in the "Review Zone" before they are made final.

Last edited:
Well, that Intel doc makes no mention of either Astron or NTK. Clearly, Igor's Lab has access more extensive info on this topic.

Processor i9 10900K
Memory 32GB
Case Obsidian 500D
Mouse EVGA X17
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Win 10
Well, that Intel doc makes no mention of either Astron or NTK. Clearly, Igor's Lab has access more extensive info on this topic.
It was super seeded with the new updates, the current info (PDF) will not contain that info, you need to have each revision of the PDF document for each change.

ATX3Specs.png

You can find a copy of the PDF files via the link below.
ATX 3 Specs

Last edited:

Austntok

So I'm the one that posted that exact screenshot on the Nvidia subreddit. I even highlighted the text in yellow with my S23 Ultra. I took the screenshot from the cablemod subreddit and posted it on r/nvidia and this is why. Cablemods post didn't get anywhere near the publicity that mine did. I wanted to make sure as many people saw it as possible to minimize possibly damaged GPU's. So seeing techpowerup post my screenshot is awesome. This reached so many more people than I had hoped.

Processor i9 10900K
Memory 32GB
Case Obsidian 500D
Mouse EVGA X17
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Win 10
It was stupid of them (CableMod) to try and fix the issue with the melting connectors in the first place really with these right angled adapters, they just made it worse with this product.

On another note, where are the RTX 3090 Ti cards with melted connectors ? <<-- Click the link !

All the RTX 3090 Ti cards use the same connector and pull the same wattage as the RTX 4090 does for the most part (450 - 525 watts), the only cards that's different here is the RTX 4090 FE with it's 600 watt max limit.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi)
Cooling EK-Nucleus AIO CR240
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo (F4-3600C16D-32GTZN) 3600MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 4090
Display(s) ASUS VG27AQL @ 144Hz, Acer XB271HU @ 144Hz
Case Corsair 4000D
Power Supply ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed w/ PowerPlay
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
Software Windows 11 Professional - X64
As an AMD user here: my heart goes out to the 4080/4090 owners. This situation legitimately sucks, buying a piece of top-end hardware that comes with such a risk. I'm not trying to be a smartass, I genuinely feel bad. It's a lot of money to spend and potentially lose.

And my goodness Cablemod should be raked over the coals for this. First they release an adapter promising to prevent your extremely expensive hardware from getting damaged when it in fact does not. Then they release a revised version claiming to have fixed the issue and it STILL happens.

I hope nobody here was unlucky enough to have their card get damaged, especially by one of these adapters.

It is a crazy amount to spend and potentially lose, it can be quite a stressful situation... that's kind of you to say.
I was unlucky enough to be affected by this and lost the power connector on my 4090 to a 180° CableMod adapter on the male side, a 1.0 revision. It was fully seated and still melted in. Not easily removed.

It took three months of attempting to get it sorted, for it to finally be sorted and repaired under warranty by ASUS now. Probably getting it back in a few days. Credit where credit is due, CableMod stated they'd offer me a full refund if ASUS refused the RMA (so over $3000 AUD) or if I wasn't comfortable having CableMod have it repaired by sending it off to a third-party in the USA.

Took a long time to get sorted and I'm hardly happy about it but still. Customer service was decent from CableMod.