• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can I get some OC help/advice pls?

Rudo

Hi.

I would like some help in overclocking my system. Right now it is auto overclocked by 10% in the bios and seems to be running fine at 2,200 Mhz..

Specs:

Asus A8V Deluxe MB. Original bios ver 08.00.09 11/14/05.
AMD Operton 170 dualcore (recognized by MB and Win2000
2Gb Corsair (2 x 512) & (1 x 1Gb) PC 3200 400 Mhz dual channel DDR memory (Corsair Value Ram)
Win2000 all service packs installed.

Could someone please tell me an easy way to OC this some more? I'd like to go to 2.4-2-8 Gb. I read that it could go to 3 Gb, I have the best stepping (CCBBE0610DPMW) model.

Do I really need to update the bios since it already recognizes the Operton 170? I've never flashed the bios from Dos before.

Would upgrading from Win2000 to WinXP offer any advantages for my Operton 170 dualcore CPU?

Maybe someone has a simialar system OC'ed and they can give me some suggestions to OC my ststem higher/faster.

Thanks,

-Rudo

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
By Gb are you meaning GHz? As for how much you can OC it, I don't know. You can OC it more by raising the FSB speed (or using a higher multiplier) and chaning the RAM speed so that doesn't cause instability. BIOS updates are mostly for stability/bugs, they aren't neccessary but can be useful in some situations. Remember to up the CPU voltage a little to get higher clocks.

Search for an overclocking guide on google for more help, most of the results you'll get will be good guides. As for Windows 2000 -> XP? Might be nice, XP runs a few more games and has a couple of extra features, but you could live without it.

Rudo

Jimmy 2004,

Yes, I meant GHz. Thanks for your advice, I will read up on this some more. The whole OC process is new to me, but it looks exciting. That is the reason I bought this new Operton CPU, so I could try to get @2.6 GHz out of it. I'll be back with some questions after some more reading and tinkering....

best regards,

-Rudo

Namslas90

Ok, you got an AMD; so you need to set a devider on the memory and lower the HT multiplier, loosen the memory timmings and then increase the CPU clock. There are a lot of threads here to help. There are also some people that are real good at it. Steveorob and AthlonX2 recently helped a guy with and an Opteron overclock, look for them to be in house and PM them for help. They use SKYPE so if you got a headset, go ahead and download SKYPE 3.0 and login. Pm AthlonX2 and ask for his help, he will tell you how to get a hold of him on Skype. It's easier to talk through this stuff than type it. It would be great if you have a 2nd system to run skype on, that way re-boot help is available if needed. I'am in no way an expert, but those two are realy good. AthlonX2 may even be able to mod your BIOS, and teach you how to flash it!!