1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can someone explain to me how this is even possible?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Volatile, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Volatile

Volatile New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all I was reading an article on new SD cards that could reach limits of 2 Terabytes.
    I can not for the life of me understand how this is even possible. Everywhere I look there is nobody who can explain the actual technology used and how this actually works just that it exists. Is there anyone who can explain the actually technology used to fit 2 terabytes into an SD card?

2. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi

Thanks Received:
    that is the address limit, not the actual capacity

3. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Yep - and how it is possible is simple to understand - just produce the chips at a more refined process level (smaller nanometers) & hence have more actual bytes in one place.

As far as I know, nobody has managed this quite small enough to fit in an SD card yet, or at least if they have it is not yet on sale to the public.

But it will be soon enough... Think back to when Flash drives where 4Megabytes... I bet 32Gig seemed just as impossible back then :p

That was only about 10 years ago - and we went from 2mb & 4mb Cards to 32,000 Mb (32Gb) cards in 10 years? - By that logic we should be on at LEAST 256,000,000Mb (256Tb) / card in another 10.