• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can someone make a short video how to OC with Throttlestop?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I have watched several outdated videos on Youtube... tried it myself...

not looking for anything hardcore, I just want to get my i7-7820HK at 3.9ghz all 4 cores no downclocking. i tried in BIOS but no matter what i do even tho temps are good and wattage is at 230 watt max boost allowed, it always downclocking to 2.9 in games.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Can you post some pictures of how you have ThrottleStop setup? How about attach a ThrottleStop log file from while you are gaming so I can see what is happening to the MHz vs power consumption vs temperature. Before you start logging, go into the Options window and check off Nvidia GPU and Add Limit Reasons to Log File options. Turn off any other monitoring software you are using.

2.9 GHz is the default speed for a 7820HK so either Turbo Boost is being completely disabled while gaming or maybe this is not being reported correctly.

Have you tried enabling Speed Shift and setting the EPP value to 0? When you upload a log file, just make sure that it corresponds with the TS pictures you post that show your settings.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Can you post some pictures of how you have ThrottleStop setup? How about attach a ThrottleStop log file from while you are gaming so I can see what is happening to the MHz vs power consumption vs temperature. Before you start logging, go into the Options window and check off Nvidia GPU and Add Limit Reasons to Log File options. Turn off any other monitoring software you are using.

2.9 GHz is the default speed for a 7820HK so either Turbo Boost is being completely disabled while gaming or maybe this is not being reported correctly.

Have you tried enabling Speed Shift and setting the EPP value to 0? When you upload a log file, just make sure that it corresponds with the TS pictures you post that show your settings.

give me a few days and I will report back

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
@unclewebb I can't get 3.9 all cores no downclocking for the life of me. like can someone just screenshot me each setting they have for throttle stop (assuming you have a 7700HQ or 7820HK) and hen i will just copy paste as a baseline --- i ran TS bench, it said no limits... but still not going above 3.5ghz... i have it set to 3.9 all cores

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Can you post a screenshot of the FIVR window? Make sure the Turbo Ratio Limits are all set to 39 whether 1, 2, 3 or 4 cores are active.

On the main screen it shows that you have Speed Shift enabled (SST in green). For maximum performance when plugged in, change the EPP value from 128 to 0. On battery power, 80 is usually a good compromise.

When Speed Shift is enabled, the Set Multiplier setting will not do anything so do not check this. SpeedStep is the old method for CPU control. Speed Shift is the new method. Anything related to SpeedStep no longer works when Speed Shift is enabled. Intel needs a kick for using two very similar names for two completely different things.

BD PROCHOT is not part of your problem but I never check that option. Your CPU will still throttle if it gets too hot whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not. Disabling this blocks throttling signals from outside the CPU.

Clock Modulation is another option that you probably do not need to check. This throttling method is rarely if ever used on the newer CPUs. Disable this and then run a ThrottleStop log file and have a look in the log file. The Clock Modulation column in the log should always show 100.0. If this is OK, no need to waste CPU cycles fighting against something that is not happening to your CPU.

I would also clear the Clamp option in the Turbo Power Limits window. It is just another excessive throttling method.

Edit - The default specs for the 7820HK show that 35 is the maximum multiplier when 4 cores are active.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7 i7-7820HK.html

Using the 39 multiplier when 4 cores are active is technically overclocking so you might need to check the Overclock option in the FIVR window.

Last edited: