• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't disable UEFI boot on HP 250 G3

I have HP 250 G3 and I intend to install Windows 8.1 and Linux on it. I do not want to deal with UEFI and bad UEFI support outside Windows environment and that is why I prefer to disable it, unfortunately I cannot find an option to do so:

UEFI also takes priority when Legacy boot is enabled:

I hope the road does not end here because then installing Windows and Linux the Legacy way will be harder. I do not know what are they thinking, if HP wants only for Windows to run on their computers then they should release a press release or warn everyone before purchase.

Use something like Rufus and select MBR as the partition type. U may have to delete the partition first if the disk is already GPT.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I hope the road does not end here because then installing Windows and Linux the Legacy way will be harder. I do not know what are they thinking, if HP wants only for Windows to run on their computers then they should release a press release or warn everyone before purchase.

There is no disabling UEFI boot on any computer that has a UEFI BIOS in my experience. You can only enable Legacy support or some call it "Compatiblity Support" or CSM. But the UEFI boot path is always active and available. This has nothing to do with HP wanting you to use only Windows, this is just how UEFI works.

Also, you say installing Windows and Linux the Legacy way will be harder, but that is exactly the way you would have to do it if UEFI wasn't available...

It is super easy to install Windows in non-UEFI mode on that system. Put in your boot media and hit the button(I think f9 or esc) to bring up the boot options menu. Then you will have options like "UEFI:CD-ROM" and "CD-ROM" or "UEFI:USB Flash Drive" and "Flash Drive". Select the option without UEFI: in front of it and install Windows, this will install Windows in non-UEFI mode. Do the same with Linux. It really isn't that hard.

You may also want to change the POST delay to a few seconds while you are setting up the OSes to give yourself enough time to hit the Boot Menu button. You can change it back to 0 once you have the two OSes set up.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
with secure boot off try hitting F9 during post to access the legacy menu.

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
Not to mention that GRUB2 is perfectly UEFI-capable, and Syslinux is good enough to be serviceable. You can have either one chainload the Windows UEFI bootloader if you make them primary.
Or, as has been said, if the CSM exists on the machine, it should be selectable through the boot menu, no matter what has priority in the UEFI settings.

Use something like Rufus and select MBR as the partition type. U may have to delete the partition first if the disk is already GPT.
Rufus does not have an option "MBR partition scheme for only BIOS":

There is no disabling UEFI boot on any computer that has a UEFI BIOS in my experience.
I have HP ProBook 4540s and I can disable UEFI and leave only Legacy. And on other Asus H61 motherboard I can also disable UEFI.

Also, you say installing Windows and Linux the Legacy way will be harder, but that is exactly the way you would have to do it if UEFI wasn't available...
I meant that if there is no option for disabling UEFI installing Linux and Windows is more difficult and not as straightforward as if it would be if you could choose betwen BIOS, UEFI and CSM.
Not to mention that GRUB2 is perfectly UEFI-capable, and Syslinux is good enough to be serviceable.
Some distributions still have problems with UEFI.
It is super easy to install Windows in non-UEFI mode on that system. Put in your boot media and hit the button(I think f9 or esc) to bring up the boot options menu. Then you will have options like "UEFI:CD-ROM" and "CD-ROM" or "UEFI:USB Flash Drive" and "Flash Drive". Select the option without UEFI: in front of it and install Windows, this will install Windows in non-UEFI mode. Do the same with Linux. It really isn't that hard.
I'll try that but BIOS only booting option would be easier for all future dealings.

Rufus does not have an option "MBR partition scheme for only BIOS":

I didn't say that. I said use the MBR partition option, specifically the top one in the dropdown list. You'll have to check the disk is MBR though as I said earlier.

I can't help with Linux sorry as I don't use it, someone else will know I'm sure.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I have HP ProBook 4540s and I can disable UEFI and leave only Legacy. And on other Asus H61 motherboard I can also disable UEFI.

There is literally not something UEFI allows. If those options do exist they likely just disable all the boot options under the UEFI boot section, but you can't entirely disable UEFI booting.

I meant that if there is no option for disabling UEFI installing Linux and Windows is more difficult and not as straightforward as if it would be if you could choose betwen BIOS, UEFI and CSM.

If you really must, just disable every option under the UEFI section in the BIOS.

There is literally not something UEFI allows. If those options do exist they likely just disable all the boot options under the UEFI boot section, but you can't entirely disable UEFI booting.
Yes u can.

Gimme a sec and I'll post a link to some info.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825112.aspx

See the bottom paragraph where it states:
Use the GPT file format for UEFI mode, or the MBR file format for BIOS mode. When Windows Setup runs, if the PC is booted to the wrong mode, Windows will fail to install.

The legacy/UEFI options in the OP's bios is the equivalent of CSM.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Yes u can.

Gimme a sec and I'll post a link to some info.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825112.aspx

See the bottom paragraph where it states:
Use the GPT file format for UEFI mode, or the MBR file format for BIOS mode. When Windows Setup runs, if the PC is booted to the wrong mode, Windows will fail to install.

The legacy/UEFI options in the OP's bios is the equivalent of CSM.

He is talking about completely disabling the UEFI boot path, you can not do that on a UEFI BIOS.

Enabling CSM just adds the legacy boot path, it does not disable the UEFI path. He is not talking about just enabling the legacy path and installing Windows in BIOS mode. He wants to completely disable the UEFI boot path from within the BIOS, you can not do that. Even if Windows and Linux is installed using the legacy path, the UEFI path will still be active.

I got it, I was not accustomed to UEFI (because on HP 4540s I disabled it) and I automatically thought that if I boot from the first menu it will boot in UEFI mode, but I have to go to second menu "Boot From EFI File" to get a list of EFI boot options:

I installed Ubuntu Mate and Windows 8.1 from the first menu (the picture) and they both installed in BIOS mode. Quite simple really.

Alicia

I got it, I was not accustomed to UEFI (because on HP 4540s I disabled it) and I automatically thought that if I boot from the first menu it will boot in UEFI mode, but I have to go to second menu "Boot From EFI File" to get a list of EFI boot options:

I installed Ubuntu Mate and Windows 8.1 from the first menu (the picture) and they both installed in BIOS mode. Quite simple really.

I am really interested in this. I could not install Linux and I don't know why. Was it so simple to install it? The linux I want to install is elementary OS, but I can install other one. How can I do it? Thanks!

I am really interested in this. I could not install Linux and I don't know why. Was it so simple to install it? The linux I want to install is elementary OS, but I can install other one. How can I do it? Thanks!
I think you should create a new forum post for your problem but it is pretty easy to install Linux alongside Windows, even easier if you install both in BIOS mode because some Linux distributions have problems with UEFI. But I tested Windows 10 and openSUSE using UEFI in a VM and it worked fine.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SilverStone Raven RV03
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Last time I had to deal with HP G- series, I did this :
, worked right off the bat and then I continued with the installation. I've never encountered such an issue before that.

Alicia

Thanks to all. I finally (and almost as a miracle of the last day of the year) doing this. I had to use rufus after reading this forum. It created one bootable disk with the OSI downloaded. But, the fuck*** HP installs by default one little pain-in-the-ass like a DOS that is not compatible with the new Linux. Well, after two tries of installation, yesterday I did it successfully. Thanks to the idea of rufus software. It seems as the software I used before was not the adequated or I used it not properly.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
you are a idiot if you aren't using UEFI

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
I have zero issues with UEFI and Ubuntu, for what it's worth.
I can't think of a distro that has a issue with EFI pretty much all of them are using grub-efi with signed certs