• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't get Bluetooth working...

harayforboobies

Hi, i'm totally new to linux. I have SUSE Linux 10.0 and I can't get my bluetooth wireless card to turn on. It works 100% in windows xp but not in linux. It recognizes it but I don't know how to set it up.. and help is appreciated... thanks in advance...

p.s. I have a button on my laptop (my computer with linux) that turns it on and off...

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Air Cooled Caselabs BH8
Processor Intel Coffee Lake 8700K @ 4.7
Motherboard MSI Gaming M5
Cooling Noctua D15s, 5x 140mm Noctua Chromax, 1x 120mm Noctua Chromax, 2x 80mm Noctua fans
Memory G. Skill Trident Z RGB series 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
Storage Samsung EVO 840 250gb SSD, Samung EVO PRO 256gb SSD, 2 TB WD Black Edition HDD.
Display(s) 24" Asus Gaming ROG 144hz
Case Black Caselabs BH8
Power Supply 850w EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold PSU with individually sleeved black cables
Mouse Logitech Wireless G403
Keyboard Corsair Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Is it built in, or is just a card you put in and that you have software with, you may need to go into your settings and enable it, sometimes you ahve to configure the settings yourself..

nick255

Processor Amd 64 venice 3000 @ 2366mhz
Motherboard Abit An8 sli
Cooling Custom watercooling black ice 120mm rad + cpu & gpu block
Memory 2 x 512mb DDR400
Video Card(s) C3d x800 gto unlocked 16pipes @ 529 / 515
Storage 200GB sata seagate, 160GB sata hitachi
Case Cooler Master stacker
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Power Supply Tagan 480
Software XP Pro / linux
If your sure that its recognised properly then have a look on this links page http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/

The only thing i can think of to fix if it isnt recognised by linux is the following:

Firstly you have to find out what chipset your bluetooth dongle uses.
Secondly i think your going to have to basically compile your own kernel and include the module for the chipset that your bluetooth dongle uses.
Thirdly depending on if you add it to the kernel or as like built in you will have to add the name of the module to a config file which is used when you boot linux.

If the kernel doesnt have support for your bluetooth dongle then you can either try and find a different copy of the kernel which does or try and find the driver for it.

To recompile your own kernel however requires a whole guide itself , plus different linux distro's will have different kernels with different options and slightly different config files.

Only thing i can suggest is going to www.gentoo.org and reading through their handbook, its basically step by step setting up linux manually, in the handbook there is a page or two on recompiling your kernel for your particular configuration.