1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Case fan speed cannot be controlled

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Eliyahu, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Eliyahu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi...I have 'passively' used this forum before and has helped me (and saved me!) many times. Now I have an unaddressed question and hope you guys can help me again.

I recently built a system based on an Intel DG965WH and a C2Q Q6600. Everything works relatively fine, but I wonder why my outlet fan is running at full speed.

It looks like this fan is not being speed-controlled (and sounds like being running at full speed). The BIOS "hardware control" utility reports 000 RPM. The fan is a Nidec TA350DC, its connector is a three-pin and has a black, a red and a yellow wire (for GND, +12V and Tach I presume).

When I tested another fan on the same header, but this fan having a black, a yellow and a green wire on its connector, the motherboard seemed to control its speed correctly.

May I be using the wrong kind of fan for my motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

E.

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to our world :)

Definitely sounds like either incompatible headers (which is odd), or a faulty fan if the other one works fine.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Eliyahu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Sasqui. :)

I also thought about an incompatibility issue, since the fan seems to be in good shape. But...isn't there a standard connection for 3-pin fan headers?

In any case, the second fan (the one that works) has a different wire-coding color.

While the non-working one has a black, a red and a yellow wires, the second one (the working one) has a black, a yellow and a green wires.

Are there different 3-pin fan header standards? If so, which ones are they?

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Eliyahu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks again.

I still don't see why my fan refuses to be monitored. :(