• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Change Install Folder Location?

I despise applications that don't allow a user to change their install folder. Is there any chance that this can be added to NVCleanstall? I understand this is likely not possible, but if you don't ask you can't possibly get what you want. :)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE COMMUNITY!!

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
I think you can do it as in windows as standard

Just point your program files to another directory in its properties I've done it with the majority of the windows folders just not program files so not 100% sure of this.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Works fine for me:

NVCleanstall is also 100% portable, you can copy it to any folder and run it from there, including network drives, usb stick, etc.

If you are asking whether you can install the NVIDIA driver to another location you'll have to convince Microsoft to change their operating system design and NVIDIA to change their driver architecture

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Even if it's possible, I would not recommend it. ;) Lots of programs have dependencies, and if your program can't find the files in the standard location it will crash.

If you need space on your C: drive, just move your Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures & Downloads folders to a other drive. This works without any issues. Just select the folder, right click to properties & change the location there. Windows will then move the folder to the new location.

Makes also backup & restore tasks a lot easier when you put all your personal files on a different drive/partition.

System Name MESIN TEMPUR
Processor INTEL XEON L5420
Motherboard MSI P35 NEO2
Cooling Deep cool ice edge mini fs v2.0
Memory 8 Gb
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 7770
Storage SSD 512Gb + HDD 2Tb
Display(s) LG Monitor 24 inch
Case Dark Flash Aigo
Power Supply Corsair CV 450 W
I can change the destination for install

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Even if it's possible, I would not recommend it. ;) Lots of programs have dependencies, and if your program can't find the files in the standard location it will crash.
All my software is designed to work from any folder, USB stick, network drive, even without installation, just copy the one EXE

Any application that is installed is responsible for knowing where to find "its" dependencies. Those could be Windows-provided ones, which DO have pre-defined locations. But perhaps you are speaking about Company ABC having two apps - Dog and Cat - and Cat has dependencies on some dll's in Dog's installation folder. If so, again I is the responsibility of any installed application to know how to find all of the dependencies it relies on.

I appreciate ALL of the replies!! And I will offer up an apology because . . .

I know that NVCleanstall can be run directly from the .exe or INSTALLED using the same EXE. I also know that if you DO choose to do a full install, the application allows you to pick the folder. So I honestly have NO F'IN CLUE what application I was referring to when I wrote this post!! :confused::confused: I did have a hellish surgery the at the end of April, and I posted this at 0431, so I am blaming pain, lack of sleep, and narcotic pain killers!! :cry::sleep: