• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Changing thermal pads on my rtx 3070 Aorus Master

_Under2World_

Hi everyone,
For some weeks now I noticed some fans in my computer were studently going at 100% for few seconds and then back to normal speed.
After further investigation I noticed my gpu was running about 10 degrees higher than usual with hotspot reaching 105 degrees.
1694282036968.png

This card is almost 3 years old and was used pretty much everyday so I think it's time to take good care of it by repasting it and changing the thermal pads.
But here's my problem. Where can I found the specification for this particular card? I tried to look on the Gigabyte's product page and many other website but I just can't find it anywhere. I don't have any tools to mesure the actual size of the current pad and I would like to not buy every size of pads to compare it.
If anyone have any idea what are the thermal pads sizes for my rtx 3070 aorus master, or where I can find this information, I will greatly appreciate it.

System Name Ryzen 1
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB Patriot Viper 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) AMD RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage SSD's
Display(s) HP X32 32" 1440p 165Hz
Case Phanteks P400A
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III 750w
I would replace the main paste with a PTM7950 pad/sheet and if it were me, I would use thermal putty on the VRM's and VRAM, then you don't have to guess what pad thickness was used for OEM. It will squish down to the appropriate thickness. Check out snarks domain on youtube. He does a lot of videos on shims, thermal putty, pads, etc.

Manufacturers don't publish this kind of data but you can usually find pad thickness for your card by using your favourite search engine, in your case someone published their findings here:
You mostly care about the thickness, using wrong one causes physical stress which can rip pads under memory chips, quite expensive to fix.

Last edited:

_Under2World_

Manufacturers don't publish this kind of data but you can usually find pad thickness for your card by using your favourite search engine, in your case someone published their findings here:
You mostly care about the thickness, using wrong one causes physical stress which can rip pads under memory chips, quite expensive to fix.
That's exactly what I was looking for! I don't why I couldn't find it online but thanks a lot for finding it.