• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Checkboards (white) on Radeon 9800SE 256-Bit AIW

Z

ZDragon

Hello there,
I have bought an Radeon 9800 SE 256-Bit AIW last year and always was quite satisfied with it and the softmod, it gave me no checkerboard at all. But recently I noticed: when playing Direct3D-games that use Complex Shaders, such as Far Cry or Everquest 2 Beta, I get lots of checkerboards. I never noticed this up to now because I had absolutely no problems with other games. This only happens in Direct3D-games that use Complex Shaders - I can play Doom 3 without any problems for instance, and UT2004 as well (as it doesn't use Complex Shaders).

I am currently using the newest Omega Drivers, but also tried different ones. Without softmod I got none of these problems, with it I do. My card is neither overclocked nor overheated.

Is there any way to fix this problem you could think of? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ati.bob

My guess is that maybe the games before never used the pipelines that you've unlocked to an extreme that it displays checkerboard effect.. The complex shaders that used in current games might use the unlocked pipelines more than the previous games, causing your card to display checkerboard effect.. the only solution to this is to remove the softmod..

Z

ZDragon

Well but why don't those errors show up in Doom 3 then, and also not when I run Far Cry in OpenGL mode?

Ramine

well i had the same problem, and i turned off Z buffer and it stopped it!

Ramine