• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

China Deepens Ban on Certain Content in Gaming: Gambling, Blood, Bodies and Zombies

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Instead of banning the poor zombies, they should go instead for the ridiculous amount of cheaters that are plaguing ALL online games out there.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Have you tried to rule a country of more than a billion person, mostly in 10M+ cities, with around 2000 years of existence and still holding the place ?

I am sorry but People's Republic of China is a 70 year old country.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Many of them see corpse or zombies as disrespectful towards the dead.
Then they wouldn't buy it but, no, Jinping is killing capitalism in China. He has been since his term started.

For the record, most cultures honor their dead. Most cultures also realize that zombies (and games in general) are a work of fiction (art) and are generally protected as speech.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Honestly banning zombies is a great idea. Zombies in almost literally any context is nothing more than lazy writing.

For the record, most cultures honor their dead. Most cultures also realize that zombies (and games in general) are a work of fiction (art) and are generally protected as speech.

Tangential, but one of the fundemental definitions of art (and pretty much the only one that works) is that art cannot be definied by its commercial value. It can be commercialy successful, but that can't be the point (unless that in itself is the point, but that would be an immensively difficult tightrope to walk). Games as art generally doesn't work. There are exceptions.

Low quality post by blobster21

THEY ARE the zombies. Poor things make me want to shoot them down to end their sufferings.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Yes, Jinping has already squashed one rebellion and this is an effort to prevent them from happening in the well-to-do parts of China. Under Jinping, China is rapidly becoming a totalitarian state AGAIN. Reuters did an expose a few days ago and there was a naval parade yesterday. What's more, China is spreading its regime globally through the Belt and Road Initiative.

TL;DR: this news should surprise no one. Well, Zombies can. The rest not so much. :roll:

FTFY. :laugh:

I am sorry but People's Republic of China is a 70 year old country.
Yeah, sure, in your world ... So Germany is only 30 year old ? And France is 150 year old (1870, the third and first real republic), and younger than the US ?
Changing the name doesn't change the way you rule your country.

China was ruled by emperors during 2000 years. Ask a Japanese, they were always at war since Medieval ages.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Tangential, but one of the fundemental definitions of art (and pretty much the only one that works) is that art cannot be definied by its commercial value. It can be commercialy successful, but that can't be the point (unless that in itself is the point, but that would be an immensively difficult tightrope to walk). Games as art generally doesn't work. There are exceptions.
I don't buy that argument at all. "Art" is valued at auctions all of the time. Commissioned art also has a predefined value agreed to before the piece is even created. Just because a work of art is reproduced and sold commercially doesn't make the initial work any less artful--just each copy is individually less valuable when trading.

If you look at the language of trademarks and copyrights law, they also explicitly declare covered designs as art.

Have a SCOTUS ruling: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/08-1448.pdf
California correctly acknowledges that video games qualify for First Amendment protection. The Free Speech Clause exists principally to protect discourse on public matters, but we have long recognized that it is difficult to distinguish politics from entertainment, and dangerous to try. “Everyone is familiar with instances of propaganda through fiction. What is one man’s amusement, teaches another’s doctrine.” Winters v. New York, 333 U. S. 507, 510 (1948). Like the protected books, plays, and movies that preceded them, video games communicate ideas—and even social messages—through many familiar literary devices (such as characters, dialogue, plot, and music) and through features distinctive to the medium (such as the player’s interaction with the virtual world). That suffices to confer First Amendment protection.
Separated for emphasis:
Under our Constitution, “esthetic and moral judgments about art and literature . . . are for the individual to make, not for the Government to decree, even with the mandate or approval of a majority.” United States v. Playboy Entertainment Group, Inc., 529 U. S. 803, 818 (2000).
Continues:
And whatever the challenges of applying the Constitution to ever-advancing technology, “the basic principles of freedom of speech and the press, like the First Amendment’s command, do not vary” when a new and different medium for communication appears. Joseph Burstyn, Inc. v. Wilson, 343 U. S. 495, 503 (1952).
Remember what video games do: literally draw 30+ pictures per second. Each one could be pulled out and framed as art. ;)

China banning some video games is a political statement.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Honestly banning zombies is a great idea. Zombies in almost literally any context is nothing more than lazy writing.
I disagree, maybe try playing something other than L4D. I have expect China's alm, against zombie games is a slap at Steams L4D, the worst zombie game I ever tried. Not uncommon to have one game be used to judge all others.

Last edited:
System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Yeah, sure, in your world ... So Germany is only 30 year old ? And France is 150 year old (1870, the third and first real republic), and younger than the US ?

China was ruled by emperors during 2000 years. Ask a Japanese, they were always at war since Medieval ages.

By your terms, changing the name and the entire political structure still counts as the same country.

US actually shared the same history as Britain and Europe,
And Britain shared the same history as ancient Roman, I am lazy so I stopped here.
Combine all that, US as a country is 3000 year old, don't you agree ?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I don't buy that argument at all. "Art" is valued at auctions all of the time. Commissioned art also has a predefined value agreed to before the piece is even created. Just because a work of art is reproduced and sold commercially doesn't make the initial work any less artful--just each copy is individually less valuable when trading.

Yeah, I messed up my thought process. What I meant to have thoughted was art can't have practical purpose. It can and should be sold as art, but not as anything else. In any case games are rarely art.

I disagree, maybe try playing something other than L4D. I have expect China's alm, against zombie games is a slap at Steams L4D, the worst zombie game I ever tried. Not uncommon to have one game be used to judge all others.

I haven't played L4D. Give me examples of games where zombies aren't lazizly written cannon fodder. Sure the undead makes for handy cannon fodder (i've played Diablo 2 and Grim Danw a whole lot), but at this point it tends to be ... lazy. Fallout 4 is a great example of this. "People still like zombies, right? MORE ZOMBIES! AND MAKE THEM SEXY!"

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

While this is true, the way of life and rule in China did in fact change with the introduction of communist rule after WWII.
As an actual country and people in general they are still largely the same. The way said rule is being implemented and enforced both legally and socially now is the difference which is transforming them as a whole into something other than they were before, which is an ongoing process to this day by design of the ruling party/government.

This is also true - China didn't survive as "China" all those years by being friendly to just anyone but to be fair, Japan isn't exactly innocent either.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Yeah, I messed up my thought process. What I meant to have thoughted was art can't have practical purpose. It can and should be sold as art, but not as anything else. In any case games are rarely art.

I haven't played L4D. Give me examples of games where zombies aren't lazizly written cannon fodder. Sure the undead makes for handy cannon fodder (i've played Diablo 2 and Grim Danw a whole lot), but at this point it tends to be ... lazy. Fallout 4 is a great example of this. "People still like zombies, right? MORE ZOMBIES! AND MAKE THEM SEXY!"
glorified zombies in those games, daiblo 2 does the worst representation of zombies, try 7 days to die, (modded or un-modded), Dead Matter coming soon, H1Z1 seems similar to L4D. some people prefer zombies based on Georger Romero movies and not the zombie design pulled from the DND/magic realms

While this is true, the way of life and rule in China did in fact change with the introduction of communist rule after WWII.
As an actual country and people in general they are still largely the same. The way said rule is being implemented and enforced both legally and socially now is the difference which is transforming them as a whole into something other than they were before, which is an ongoing process to this day by design of the ruling party/government.
They didn't change deeply. The emperor became the Party. And "law" is just becoming official, that's all ; before you just got executed, murdered or killed. Like any country in the world. Remember a guy named Lincoln ? Good ideas, but not for some guys.
China's rules are just more drastic than ours. It's like the "one child law", which not really a law but a financial burden from the Party to enforce you to have only one child, which got many newly born girls killed discreetly (or so).

I'm not defending China way of ruling. I've worked and nearly lived with Chinese people, and I saw and comprehend what is happening.
Some follow the rules and live their lives as is, blindly ; but some make choices of their own, and when they want to undo it or get in touch with other chinese (they are living in groups, like a small China Town, even in France), they get rejected from their own (it's the only country to do that, over nearly 30 "big" country I've seen in my life).

My only point is : we have no fucking clue of how to make a country of 1 billion dudes not killing the planet and still holding up to the world and themselves. No one on this planet does. So don't judge like a kid (not directed to you, it's a statement and it's also work for me) something you can't even start to comprehend.

This is also true - China didn't survive as "China" all those years by being friendly to just anyone but to be fair, Japan isn't exactly innocent either.
Indeed. China survived because they were attacked from everywhere, and in order to survive as an Empire, they had to follow a leadership, like all of us. Even if it's not fair nor legit. It was, and still is, war. Just a different one.
And japanese invaded China a lot of times (WWII last time), and they are still fighting over some islands today. It's true ; so many war between them that they hate each other like Chileans and Argentinians (don't put 2 of them in a closed room or one will die).