• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer boots to bios every time

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
System Name Bonds silencer
Processor Core i7 5820k
Motherboard Asus sabertooth x99
Cooling Be quiet! Dark rock 3
Memory 4x4gb corsair vengeance(blue)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 ti
Storage Samsung evo 850 500gb ssd/western digital blue 1tb 7200rpm
Display(s) Asus rog swift pg278q
Case Be quiet! silent base 800 window edition
Audio Device(s) Sound blaster zxr
Power Supply Seasonic platinum 1000w 80+ platinum certified
Mouse Logitech proteus g502
Keyboard Corsair k70 2016 RGB
Ive actually been able to run my windows repair from the dvd drive and waiting actually to see where it takes me. Will keep you updated.

System Name Bonds silencer
Processor Core i7 5820k
Motherboard Asus sabertooth x99
Cooling Be quiet! Dark rock 3
Memory 4x4gb corsair vengeance(blue)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 ti
Storage Samsung evo 850 500gb ssd/western digital blue 1tb 7200rpm
Display(s) Asus rog swift pg278q
Case Be quiet! silent base 800 window edition
Audio Device(s) Sound blaster zxr
Power Supply Seasonic platinum 1000w 80+ platinum certified
Mouse Logitech proteus g502
Keyboard Corsair k70 2016 RGB
Problem solved.after the windows repair on the disc which contained the information (contrary to what I though) I booted back (without the installation dvd drive) and it turned on without prompting to bios. Thanks for all your help.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
Same problem with same title. PC boots directly to bios.
It first started happening like 1 week ago. Most of the times the SSD (witch holds the windows) is not visible in the bios. It only sees the HDD.

Today something more crazy happened. I was watching youtube, and the page stopped loading, after lets say 2 minutes, notices the windows was acting very slow, the computer crashed.
Booted into bios, no SSD was visible there. Turned off power,after few more attempts, after 20 minutes it turned on just fine.
So something wrong happened even when the computer was on ... is it power related?? Maybe i should try switching the cables around ...

Is the ssd dying ? Maybe software/windows related. Its a new install ,since i got the new computer.

I could also install windows on HDD, cuz i know there is no problem there,and use the ssd as a storage. Even tho that just is a bad decision.
What do you guys think ?

I will try to mess with the cables... thing is, i remember not long ago, at the beginning of the year, i had the same problems with the ssd. Many months later, they are back.

Any software that you can recommend to see / check if the ssd is still good ?

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
It first started happening like 1 week ago. Most of the times the SSD (witch holds the windows) is not visible in the bios. It only sees the HDD.

Today something more crazy happened. I was watching youtube, and the page stopped loading, after lets say 2 minutes, notices the windows was acting very slow, the computer crashed.
Booted into bios, no SSD was visible there. Turned off power,after few more attempts, after 20 minutes it turned on just fine.
So something wrong happened even when the computer was on ... is it power related?? Maybe i should try switching the cables around ...

Is the ssd dying ? Maybe software/windows related. Its a new install ,since i got the new computer.

I could also install windows on HDD, cuz i know there is no problem there,and use the ssd as a storage. Even tho that just is a bad decision.
What do you guys think ?

I will try to mess with the cables... thing is, i remember not long ago, at the beginning of the year, i had the same problems with the ssd. Many months later, they are back.

It may be a failing SSD or malfunctioning SATA controller

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

What do you guys think ?

To me this sounds like broken SATA cables. Yes they break and yes I have had this problem, spent MONTHS searching for the issue of hanging at random times, and eventually even BSODs because of it. I even went out and bought a new PSU before finding this.

Use a fresh cable that you are guaranteed is working for the SSD, see if problem persists. If you re-used old SATA cables, replace them all tbh

The slow Windows also matches this situation, because you cannot access storage reliably, that is, if it becomes slow when you request data from that SSD (such as starting an application or Windows itself).

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit

What do you guys think ?

Here is a link to Kingston, if you look at the right topside after Kingston SSD manager and also look for firmware update.

https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/products?model=SHSS3

System Name Massi
Processor Intel i5 10600K, 6 core @5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 GAMING X
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO 280mm
Memory Corsair 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus 5700 XT OC 8GB
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Asus 27" PG278QR TN LED 1ms, 2560x1440, 165hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 450D, Noctua fans in front, up, and back
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200
Power Supply Corsair RM850X 850W
Mouse Asus Gladius Optical Gaming
Keyboard Black, Asus
Software Windows 10
This can happen if the battery on the motherboard is going empty. then it can't hold the BIOS startup options and boot's to BIOS right away so you can adjust the settings.

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
to the second poster with the new issue "a new thread would have been better, because most poeople will just reply to the OP..

Any way, id suspect the psu is a bit flaky, But 1st thing to do would be to swap the SATA cable for the SSD,
you can use any smart monitoring app to check the ssd. but you may end up with false positives until you eliminate the other possible variables.

Even a windows Chkdsk may throw up a few file system errors which can throw up issues in windows like the ones you described. (but bios should still see the ssd in that case)

Any way..
like i said swap out the SATA cables. and if your psu has multiple rails. try and use a diferent one for the sata..
use it for a bit and see if it still vanishes from the bios..
(if it does, then try a diferent SATA port too, one that things dont disappear from)

If it stays in the bios but you still get the windows errors then run a chkdsk. And any luck that will fix it.. But its up to you to figure out if the psu or cable was the issue after that.

years ago i had a psu that was failing and a HDD would often dissapear from the bios and had issues like you mention.
Took ages to figure out it was one of the 12v rails failing (probably a capacitor leaking inside or similar) replaced it and the hard disks were fine.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670

What do you guys think ?

I had the same issue with a Crucial MX (or BX i forget which) 256GB ssd while running on a z170 platform. Come to find out, it was an incompatibility with the motherboard that @FordGT90Concept pointed out to me as he had the same issue. I bought a new Samsung 960 evo m.2 and the issue went away.

I suggest getting a newer model SSD and reinstalling Windows and id bet that your issue will go away.

Edit: Thread necro!

Last edited: