• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer shut off. Need help

Murtagh1812

I have been having problems with my pc randomly shutting off. Here are my specs
I5-9600k
MSI Gtx1660super
16gb ram(idk brand)
GameMax 700w psu
Gigabyte b360m motheboard
running 6 Corsair fans.

so last night Iplayed squad for ab 2 hours and I played csgo for about 30 mins. Never had a problem. Got off and shut down my pc. Turn it on today to play modded Minecraft and now at random times my pc will completely shut down. I get no error codes whenever it auto restarts. But I was trying to play clash of the titans modpack. All drivers are up to date and I’ve never had a problem with it. I even unplugged 2 of myfans from power and still it didn’t help. I figured it was a power issue but after looking at my clocks I’m not so sure. My cpu is running with random clocks going from 798mhz immediately to 4300mhz. Temp is 101f. Gpu is having random spikes from 300mhz to 1530mhz and fab speed is steady at 1500rpm whichlooks high tbh. And temp is at 88f. This is all at idle. Which I find odd.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Also my pc isn’t over clocked. I bought all these parts new about 3-4 months ago

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Okay, welcome to TPU.

Your temps are abnormal, especially for idle. GPU at almost 0% load and 88 degrees isn't possible. The CPU story is similar. I've no idea to the cause but it seems unlikely you need to reseat your CPU or GPU coolers. This looks (to my admittedly uneducated eye) as though there's a sensor/software issue at hand. See what others suggest but a GPU at idle shouldn't get that warm, even without a cooler. My suggestion would be a windows reinstall. But I'm a tech noob, so wait for some other ideas.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
Are you measuring temp in Fahrenheit? Celsius is the standard when it comes to PC hardware so I would recommend switching to that. Looks like you're using NZXT CAM as well. Download HWInfo64 and check to see what temperatures that reports. 88F is only 31C, and 101F is 38 C, so if those are idle temperatures for your GPU and CPU respectively, I don't think there's anything wrong there. You can also check Event Viewer (search for it in the search bar) and go to windows logs -> system and see what it says after your PC crashes.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
Good point. If temps are normal.... hell, could be PSU, RAM, anything.
There may be some truth to your Windows issue theory. I highly doubt (although still possible) that it would be a hardware issue that just magically developed overnight. @Murtagh1812 Were any Windows updates installed upon shutdown last night or when you powered on today?

Murtagh1812

@milewski1015 not that i know of.

also i looked in event viewer and all i get are a single critical that says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." then i have some that are information but all of them look alright also got these errors.
"The previous system shutdown at 2:31:40 PM on ‎9/‎17/‎2020 was unexpected."

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user DESKTOP-7M421HT\Admin SID (S-1-5-21-2344974207-2313158962-1962870637-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_1.141.634.0_x86__zpdnekdrzrea0 SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

i also got these around the same time

"The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 6000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

"
The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated with the following error:
A generic command executable returned a result that indicates failure."

also got one error that said disk 4 was removed unexpectedly then one that said disk 5 was removed unexpectedly

but i will say, yesterday before i went to play csgo and squad i changed all of my components into a different case. but it shouldnt make it do random restarts i wouldnt think. but i have double checked all cable connections

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Ahhh.... Check all connections, screws for shorting circuits, and make sure the memory is firmly in place.

Murtagh1812

yeah ive done all that. but i waited a few mins and tried to reopen twitch. where the modpack is installed. and got this error message in the vent viewer

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user DESKTOP-7M421HT\Admin SID (S-1-5-21-2344974207-2313158962-1962870637-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10

Murtagh1812

Still happened. I’m going to take it tonight and re seat my cpu and gpu and all the plugs. Then take off the reset button off of the mobo. Maybe that will help

you said 'shut down', but then 'auto restarts', so which is it?? (windows defaults to auto restart upon bsod, turn that absolute garbage default off)

who is 'gamemax'? there's no way anyone can trust that psu

what software is being shown & why does it lack gfx fan in percentage? the smaller the fan, the higher the rpm, if you cant hear the fan then it's not high at all

how can your cpu not spike if you're using bloated windows with things running like spotify, it's never idle unless you spend hours tweaking

but idle is irrelevant, you're supposed to be measuring load temperatures+clockspeeds+voltages+estimated power draw with a good tool like hwinfo that can log to a file (then view it with genericlogviewer)

you also didnt specify if you run your framerate unlocked, which would cause maximum power load

it might also be useful to confirm if the power is coming straight from the wall or a power strip (also if there are other things plugged into the strip)

EDIT: nvidia just released a new driver version, occasionally certain drivers might cause bsods in certain situations if that's what you meant by auto restart, also event viewer is mostly useless

Murtagh1812

@kn00tcn

Yes it auto restarts. My bad. Didn’t mean to contradict myself like that. I’m going to take your comments in order to answer them the best I can.

Actually it’s one of the better amazon psu. While by no means is that the best, I’ve had it for over a month and never had a single issue. Also it fixed some issues I had been having.

it is nzxt and it came with a previous pc I had before I built mine. It was just the easiest to use program that came to my head when I built my custom pc.

they aren’t bloated windows I just have a large monitor. They were actually minimized from fullscreen. Also Spotify wasn’t running it is just on my task bar.

thank you for the recommendation.Hopefully that program will give me more info than I have and help mefix the issue.

I have my frame rate locked at 120fps on Minecraft. Which I can go much higher than that and have before.Even on that modpack. But it helps while I record ormultitask to have it locked at 120. So it’s def not maxing out. Can hit 250 easily.

Power is straight from the wall.

also I updated the driver this morning while I was diagnosing the problem before making this post.

System Name BUBSTER
Processor I7 13700K (6.1 GHZ XTU OC)
Motherboard Z690 Gigabyte Aorus Elite Pro
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360 RGB
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 4800MHz 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Super Dual OC
Storage Kingston KC 3000 PCIE4 1Tb + 2 Kingston KC 3000 1TB PCIE4 RAID 0 + 4 TB Crucial gen 4 +12 TB HDD
Display(s) Sony Bravia A85 j OLED
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Power Supply Corsair AX 850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Gaming M65 Pro RGB + Razr Taipan
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Flare Cherry MX Red + Corsair Gaming K65 lux RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
could it be because of a windows update? perhaps

@kn00tcnYes it auto restarts. My bad. Didn’t mean to contradict myself like that. I’m going to take your comments in order to answer them the best I can.
make sure to turn off the auto restart upon system failure setting of windows, then if you see the blue screen with informational text on it, that might make it much more likely to be simply a software issue

Actually it’s one of the better amazon psu. While by no means is that the best, I’ve had it for over a month and never had a single issue. Also it fixed some issues I had been having.
what were the old issues? psu may be fine for now, but psus are one of the few electronics that can show signs of gradual age rather than suddenly failing

for example, many years ago i used a noname chinese psu, after a few years i could see with monitoring software that the 12v rail voltage had gradually lowered to like 11.3v, so it was starting to become out of spec, & the only symptom i had until i replaced it was that one of the hard drives started spinning down & up randomly during use... the power worked, but not cleanly, maybe the drive had a protection in place, the other drive didnt act like this, games still worked, never had a sudden shutdown or restart, etc

so in hwinfo, it would be useful to also watch the voltages in case there are unusual spikes or drops

they aren’t bloated windows I just have a large monitor. They were actually minimized from fullscreen. Also Spotify wasn’t running it is just on my task bar.
i mean bloated software, if you open taskmanager on a consumer version of win10 (definitely with browser open on modern dynamic websites if javascript is enabled), you will almost never see 0% load across all processes in total unless you're someone like me that digs deep to force things off, even the enterprise version of w10 has needless garbage

any load usually will cause the cpu frequency to spike up, which is by design unless you change power settings of the OS

Power is straight from the wall.
reminds me, i've heard of entire rooms losing power when multiple devices & an air conditioning were plugged in, not to the same socket, but the multiple sockets all led to the same fuse with a max capacity

System Name BUBSTER
Storage Kingston KC 3000 PCIE4 1Tb + 2 Kingston KC 3000 1TB PCIE4 RAID 0 + 4 TB Crucial gen 4 +12 TB HDD
I have been having problems with my pc randomly shutting off. Here are my specs
I5-9600k
MSI Gtx1660super
16gb ram(idk brand)
GameMax 700w psu
Gigabyte b360m motheboard
running 6 Corsair fans.

so last night Iplayed squad for ab 2 hours and I played csgo for about 30 mins. Never had a problem. Got off and shut down my pc. Turn it on today to play modded Minecraft and now at random times my pc will completely shut down. I get no error codes whenever it auto restarts. But I was trying to play clash of the titans modpack. All drivers are up to date and I’ve never had a problem with it. I even unplugged 2 of myfans from power and still it didn’t help. I figured it was a power issue but after looking at my clocks I’m not so sure. My cpu is running with random clocks going from 798mhz immediately to 4300mhz. Temp is 101f. Gpu is having random spikes from 300mhz to 1530mhz and fab speed is steady at 1500rpm whichlooks high tbh. And temp is at 88f. This is all at idle. Which I find odd.View attachment 169008View attachment 169007

Also my pc isn’t over clocked. I bought all these parts new about 3-4 months ago

your processor is very good especially OC. can easily be overclocked to 5Ghz up to 5.2 Ghz with a better motherboard . what kinda processor cooler are you using.

Murtagh1812

@kn00tcn How would I turn off the auto restart? I’ve never had it on on a previous pc. And the old issues I had were with leds but that was in a previous case with a previous mobo. That was just a lack of knowledge at the time. I just got home so I will download it now and check all the things it gives me. Also my ac was on but it shouldn’t be on the same fuse. They have turned off a fuse but it had the water heater and ac on the same one. They’re both in my room. And that’s what was also odd was the 0% load. Could my core have become semi unseated possibly?? Sounds odd but I’ve had weirder things happen so idk.

@Bubster I’m using the stock intel cooler. I was going to upgrade to a nzxt radiator cooler with a temp gauge soon so I could get it oc. Just don’t feel comfortable doing it myself. And yes I get really good frames and neverhave stutters. I also can run Editing software for videos and make music at the same time and never have a problem. Load times are amazing as well. That’s why I boughtthe i5-9600k instead of the i7-9700. The spec difference just Wasn’t worth the extra 100$. That was at Best Buy when I built the pc. The spec difference was honestly so little I didn’t feel like it constituted spending the extra money on it.

@kn00tcn also I have leds in my room that is on the same fuse. Could that be an issue?

So I installed he info and while only it is open I know other things are open in the background. But clock speed on my cpu is jumping from 798mhz to 4389 on all 6 cores.

And when I look at sensor status it says that my mobo is getting a constant 12.456v of power.

@kn00tcn How would I turn off the auto restart?
properties of 'computer' (or control panel > system) > advanced system settings > startup settings https://www.lifewire.com/how-do-i-disable-automatic-restart-on-system-failure-in-windows-2626067

after rereading the first post, are you saying crashes only happened during/after modded minecraft? as in, has squad or cs or any other game or non-game crashed after a fresh boot WITHOUT minecraft ever have been run that day?

can you also try playing games with browsers closed? (including discord or any other gpu accelerated web based app, or if you need such an app, disable gpu acceleration in its settings, i know steam has this option)

System Name BUBSTER
yes i had a 9600 k and it had nearly similar performance to the 8700k blazing fast at running everything almost...based on what you said it seems probably a windows update ...Microsoft have been screwing around in the last 3 months or so with updates and some of them slow things down...sometimes it's better to uninstall windows updates just to see how it does.

Murtagh1812

properties of 'computer' (or control panel > system) > advanced system settings > startup settings https://www.lifewire.com/how-do-i-disable-automatic-restart-on-system-failure-in-windows-2626067

after rereading the first post, are you saying crashes only happened during/after modded minecraft? as in, has squad or cs or any other game or non-game crashed after a fresh boot WITHOUT minecraft ever have been run that day?
No I haven’t. But it did it earlier when I just powered on the pc before anything else was even opened. Just randomly crashed.

No I haven’t. But it did it earlier when I just powered on the pc before anything else was even opened. Just randomly crashed.
refresh the page, i edited that reply

but now i should mention, i have a cold boot bug over the last few months: if i leave the system off for a day or two, it will be unstable over the first few minutes of the next time it's turned on, the screen would black out & the mobo would reset to a pre-boot phase with increased fan speed & a notification light pointing to the cpu (in my specific case, this may be caused by newer bios versions that i'm too lazy to downgrade, increasing the cpu voltage may have helped me reduce the issue)

thinking some more, i also remember the time i was jamming cut fan wires directly into a molex plug of a powered on computer, i couldnt keep the position perfectly steady & some light sparks happened along with the entire system restarting a couple times as i removed the wires (which even melted a bit of metal onto the molex plug)

so maybe we should double check everything... is the mobo using standoff screws in the case, is any metal from the case or related screws/rear panels touching the mobo, are any wires touching the mobo or gfx card, are all the internal cables (including front panel) plugged in straight without feeling loose, are you using non-conductive thermal paste

does the mobo have a bios update, could the auto voltage be wrong, could there even be physical damage somewhere (that would be hard to check, probably not worth considering yet)

what loadline setting is chosen in the bios? try a lower or higher amount (loadline actually caused idle instability for me back in 2008 while overclocking, it even affected a major hw site)

Murtagh1812

So after starting up the pc and giving it a few mins, I started csgo. Worked fine. Played 2 games(killed it btw) soon as I started my world on mc it crashed again. But I turned off auto restart but it still did it. I will unplug everything and check the mobo for touching wires. I keep everything pretty neat a clean in there. I have a single fan cord splitter that is touching the gpu but it is nylon wrapped and the part where it’s touching is plastic. Everything else is buttoned up and sitting alright. The cord on the left that is hanging is another fan splitter but I unplugged it earlier because I thought it may be an issue.
image.jpg

Better pic
image.jpg

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Your temps are abnormal, especially for idle. GPU at almost 0% load and 88 degrees isn't possible.
@Murtagh1812 - this is why you and everyone else really should be viewing and reporting your temps in Celsius and not Fahrenheit. Even if you live in a part of the world that typically uses Fahrenheit (as we do here in the US), the computer globally industry uses Celsius and so that is what we are used to seeing. 88°C at idle would impossible, unless there was something seriously wrong.

Because everything inside your computer case depends on good, clean stable power, I recommend you beg, borrow or steal a known good PSU and swap that in to see what happens. You need to verify power first - especially before plopping down money for something else.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Also it appears that PSU is mounted wrongly - fan is up, should be down, sucking in cold air from the surroundings, not interfere with case flow; still not a cause for instability though...
Any chips on mainboard that due to age of unleaded (brittle) solder may loose connection, because I have an old Phenom mainboard + CPU that's doing that (bad connection).

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
sorry if i miss something, but have you tried resetting your bios and using only one ram?
just to check